Reload this Page >

Intra-South America Fare Deals and Quirks

Old Dec 17, 11, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HH DIAMOND, IHG PLAT, RYANAIR NO OTHER OPTION FLYER

Been researching for a while and the following may be of interest:

One that I've just booked which is Quito-Medellin-Bogota-Iguazu Falls with stopovers in both Colombia cities for $400. This took advantage of a now expired 20% offer on the LAN UK site but even if I'd paid $480 it would have been similar to the Quito-Iguazu direct fare using the LAN Airpass and much cheaper than the regular fare i.e. LAN are effectively paying me to stopover in Colombia. Also shows the value of checking different LAN country sites as there are different offers on each.

Also found one way business class fares on aa.com in Jan for easter island-rio for $700 and iguazu for a bit more (set for all carriers, and lowest cost and scroll down to pages 2 or 3 - the fares are via sao paulo)

And BOG-GRU/GIG on TAM C was $2000+ one way, but came down to $1100 ish if I stopped over in GRU and continued to a nearby city eg Florianopolis - flight times were such that one could just skip the short haul connection from GRU

The remodelling of Avios (BA/Iberia) points has removed the multi-stopover bonus within South America but seems to have introduced some pretty good value redemptions e.g. SCL-GIG five hour business class for 20,000 at full rate, but 10,000 + $150 with miles and cash option

Perhaps others can add more?

Last edited by carbonaddict; Dec 18, 11 at 3:57 am
Old Dec 18, 11, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HH DIAMOND, IHG PLAT, RYANAIR NO OTHER OPTION FLYER
just checked the easter island-gig anomaly and now around $720 business A/I on Jan 25 (seems to be mainly wednesdays) - not bad for around 12 hours of up front flying time. also works for other chilean origins but of course mileage not so great for those.

Search this Thread