Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Ecuador, Argentina or Chile

Old Nov 3, 11, 10:35 am
Original Poster

I have one week at the end of May. Looking for a place with a good combination of sites - museums, historic sites, nature sites, small towns - good food,nice people, reasonable costs, and without having to spend more than a few hours on a bus or train to get around.

Which would you choose?
Old Nov 3, 11, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I know nothing about Ecuador - but in late May, think NORTH. If you go to Chile or Argentina, and start in the capitals, you could end up with cold, damp, wet. I really like the north of Chile. I have no experience in the north of Argentina.
Old Nov 3, 11, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
What about Peru? Really good sites to visit, good museums, excellent food, and inexpensive.
Old Nov 4, 11, 11:25 am
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
I know nothing about Ecuador - but in late May, think NORTH. If you go to Chile or Argentina, and start in the capitals, you could end up with cold, damp, wet. I really like the north of Chile. I have no experience in the north of Argentina.
Not exactly Baltic though is it in the South of Chile during May? The weather there is always like British weather I find, so going to say Los Lagos, Puerto Montt, Puerto Varas, Chiloe etc in May is a bit like going to the UK in September.
Old Nov 4, 11, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia View Post
Not exactly Baltic though is it in the South of Chile during May? The weather there is always like British weather I find, so going to say Los Lagos, Puerto Montt, Puerto Varas, Chiloe etc in May is a bit like going to the UK in September.
PMC 29 May 11

Actual
Temperature
Mean Temperature 42 °F
Max Temperature 53 °F
Min Temperature 30 °F

PMC 29 May 10

Actual Average
Temperature
Mean Temperature 42 °F
Max Temperature 50 °F
Min Temperature 35 °F
Old Nov 4, 11, 2:47 pm

Which if you are from Canada or Scotland is positively tropical.

42ºF doesn't even qualify for putting a sweater on
Old Nov 4, 11, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia View Post
Which if you are from Canada or Scotland is positively tropical.
I am from neither
Old Nov 4, 11, 3:28 pm

I like the dampness of a Chilean autumn, reminds me of home. I could understand though if someone from warmer climes found it a bit nippy. But isn't hustling around your cabaña's combustión lenta part of the experience in the colder days? That and hanging your head out of the door of a morning to take in the heady smell of leña.

If that's the OP's bag then don't be put off by the South in May, otherwise then hey why not go for a paddle in Iquique?
Old Nov 21, 11, 9:55 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by trebex View Post
I have one week at the end of May. Looking for a place with a good combination of sites - museums, historic sites, nature sites, small towns - good food,nice people, reasonable costs, and without having to spend more than a few hours on a bus or train to get around.

Which would you choose?
Are you committed to one of those 3 countries? And, as others have alluded, what are your preferences/expectations regarding weather?
Old Dec 5, 11, 7:32 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
You don't mention your departure city but Quito is a marvelous city, quite inexpensive and relatively close to North America. I highly recommend it! The old city is impeccably restored and a top UN World Heritage site --- you can spend days easily exploring it on foot.

The later in May you go the better the weather (in terms of rain --- but it's lovely even in the rain). The temps are constant throughout the year: 50 F at night at 65F day (or 10 and 19. in centigrade). Another great benefit is if your Spanish skills are limited the Spanish spoken is Quito is the easiest (for me) to understand because they speak very slowly and clearly!
Old Dec 5, 11, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Of those three, I would choose Chile. I travel there every year in May and find the weather most agreeable. Also, I second Pedro's suggestion and recommend you consider a week in Peru, specifically the area surrounding Cusco.
Old Dec 6, 11, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
If you have only a week, I would recommend going to just Buenos Aires and Mendoza. The weather should be relatively moderate and there's plenty to do in both cities, including museums and wine tasting, to keep you busy.
Old Dec 9, 11, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
Originally Posted by IaninDC View Post
If you have only a week, I would recommend going to just Buenos Aires and Mendoza. The weather should be relatively moderate and there's plenty to do in both cities, including museums and wine tasting, to keep you busy.
Fully agree with Ianin, the weather in Buenos Aires in May shouldn't be too cold and it's a great city to walk around in and discover some of the museums, and great parks around town. And don't forget the wine and beef!
Old Dec 11, 11, 12:22 am
Suspended

For those desires I'd pick Peru over the countries listed. Southern Chile/Argentina can indeed get dark and cold

Search this Thread