Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

SCL in late Nov - will strikes be an issue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA

Ms. JG has a meeting in SCL after week of 11/28. She's thinking of staying a few extra days to tour around. Chile is not much in the news here in the States, but we have heard some reports of protests and general strikes. Is that a big thing? Is it an issue for touring around?

Thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
The strikes seem to be becoming more frequent. It is a sign of weak leadership within the current government (thus Pińera's very low poll popularity, but the 20 year opposition party his government replaced scores equally low in public confidence). It started last year with with regional protest over energy in Patagonia, then became national with the dam issue and now the students. Recent strikes have included worker unions. Most start out peaceful but end with youngsters battling police with rocks and fire bombs and police countering with water cannons and tear gas.

For Santiago, it is generally the area from Estación Central-Santiago Centro-Plaza Italia and blocks on either side of Alameda within that zone that are disrupted.

So if the meeting is in Las Condes, there will not be a problem. Touring, it may affect sightseeing downtown. She will know the deal (scheduled protests and strikes) when she is there.

Safe travels.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta - Plat
I live in Las Condes and just as Viajero Perpetuo said, there's just about zero effect here. There was a small group walking down apoquindo yesterday but it was the first time I'd ever seen anything East of Tobalaba and it was 100% peaceful.

Even on the "national strike" days last month taxis ran, stores that weren't near the protest were open, the Metro, etc.

As for the big tourist sites she'd likely be just fine. Even if there is a protest, there's lots of notice before it turns south to get out of dodge.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, COPA, Air Canada (dormant)
Colleagues and compatriots of mine were stranded by the Punta Arenas riots at the beginning of 2011 (road blocks between the city and the airport and a delay to the weekly flight from PUQ to MPN)

My own experience was coming back through SCL last week on the day of a student protest march along the Alameda.

The Centropuerto bus turned back at Pajaritos Metro but the Metro was running fine.

One street back from the Alameda, I was barely aware of anything happening and, shortly afterwards, I walked safely and blissfully along the Alameda (against the flow of the march on the opposite pavement) to Estacion Central for my ritual cinnamon roll.

So, whilst HMMV, don't Mrs JG be put off, as long as she has her wits about her as much as she ought to in any city she is unfamiliar with.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by rmb.flk
So, whilst HMMV, don't Mrs JG be put off, as long as she has her wits about her as much as she ought to in any city she is unfamiliar with.
To post an update, these protests have gotten to be a typical part of my weeks, living as I do in the Centro. They usually affect a block or two, they are easy to avoid, and life goes on as normal; I see them more on the news than in the actual streets. There is no reason to allow them to be the reason to change travel plans.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:43 pm

A niece and her husband were sightseeing in the center last week and I saw on the TV that the latest student march (we are up to 40 I believe) was getting interesting, so I texted them to stay north of the Alameda. They got the text message 2 days later in Mendoza, which meant they had no idea what was happening at the time. They noticed "a lot of young people" running down the street they were on and then the owner of the ice cream place they were in slammed down the shutters, leaving them eating their cones in the dark. They continued their sightseeing around the Plaza de Armas and then decided to take the metro back to the hotel and the connecting metro station was full of trapped tear gas. They were more intrigued than scared and thought things were much worse in the London riots, which they also experienced by chance.

Just avoiding bits of the center of town is usually enough to avoid any problems and tourist areas outside Santiago would not be affected.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by bystander
Just avoiding bits of the center of town is usually enough to avoid any problems and tourist areas outside Santiago would not be affected.
Actually, violent disturbances are also happening in tourist centers like Valparaíso. Other than that, yes you can avoid most disturbances. Ask those in the know before you go out. When you see a preponderance of 14-15ish year olds with covered faces, then you really have no business hanging around the area as the police strategy may be to channel or trap them and you definitely don't want to be a part of that.

For now, extranjeros have not been a target for the anarchists but media people have. If this shifts, you have been warned!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
For now, extranjeros have not been a target for the anarchists but media people have. If this shifts, you have been warned!
Thanks for the warning !
I have cancelled the family cruise out of Valparaiso.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Thanks for the warning !
I have cancelled the family cruise out of Valparaiso.
I didn't see any smiley, so I don't know if you were serious.

Really, I said you can avoid disturbances and that foreigners have not been a target. So I don't understand your statement which may be an over-reaction.

Any strike or march usually has a couple of days warning and any violent confrontations are usually in specific areas (like near the Congress building in Valpo).
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:05 pm

FWIW, issued today. I have usually found these advisories over paranoid but this one is not bad.

To: U.S. Citizens in Chile
Date: October 20, 2011
Subject: Security Notice – Student Demonstrations

The U.S. Embassy in Santiago alerts U.S. citizens traveling to and residing in Chile of the likelihood of continuing disturbances in Santiago and other urban centers in connection with the student protest movement. The U.S. Embassy urges U.S. citizens to avoid the areas of demonstrations and to exercise caution if within the vicinity of any protests.

Since June, there have been mass demonstrations in Santiago and regional capitals calling for improvements in Chile’s educational system. While the majority of the protests have been peaceful, several have involved anarchists and delinquents, frequently clad in hoods (called encapuchados) that incite violence, throw rocks and Molotov cocktails, and engage in acts of vandalism. Several demonstrations have drawn over 100,000 supporters to the streets of central Santiago. The protests have closed a number of Chile's universities and high schools, but to date have had minimal impact on travel and business. Most of the protests have been well-publicized and announced several days in advance, but the potential for spontaneous demonstrations exists.

There are no indications that foreigners or U.S. citizens are being threatened or targeted. Nonetheless, U.S. citizens are advised to remain alert to local security developments and to be vigilant regarding their personal security by monitoring media, knowing the locations of police stations, hospitals, and the U.S. Embassy. The Department of State strongly urges U.S. citizens to avoid all demonstrations, as bystanders can quickly be caught up in unforeseen violence. If you are in immediate danger, call the police at 133.

Since the protests are ongoing and generally well-advertised, we will not send frequent Emergency Messages (unless the situation changes drastically), but will post updates on the Emergency Messages page of the U.S. Embassy Santiago Website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.