Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Visiting South America over Easter - good or bad idea?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I was loyal to One Pass & Star Alliance before FT ... now I value all miles and programs

Call me corny, but I wanted to spend Easter on Easter Island. With most of South America being predominantly Catholic, I was wondering if this was a good time to visit? I came VERY close to booking flights today, but realized that maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea. Aside from Easter Island, I'm looking to also be in Cuzco, Peru (Machu Picchu) on Holy Friday.

Are main attractions closed on Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter Sunday? What about transportation?

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome, even if it's to bash on my corny idea
Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Latin America operates at half speed during Holy Week and pretty much shuts down that Thursday and Friday. Most places will not be open that weekend. Everybody else is traveling that week too, and accommodation and transportation is jammed. While it sounds neat to say, "I spent Easter on Easter Island," I don't know what other benefit you're going to get to offset the hassle of travel that week. I think you would have a much calmer experience going another week of the year.

In any case, that's still over nine months away. I don't think you have to decide now.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: I was loyal to One Pass & Star Alliance before FT ... now I value all miles and programs
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
In any case, that's still over nine months away. I don't think you have to decide now.
It's funny how you mentioned that I had time... I hesitated one day and my reward flights on AA were gobbled up, ha.

Thanks SJOGuy for your input. After reading your response, I do agree that it's probably better I go another time. Cheers!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Latin America operates at half speed during Holy Week and pretty much shuts down that Thursday and Friday. Most places will not be open that weekend. Everybody else is traveling that week too, and accommodation and transportation is jammed.
I'll second the above.

I'll also add that Holy Week is a great time to be in those parts of South America that do big religious processions on Good Friday. Saw the Good Friday procession through the historic center of Quito, Ecuador a few years ago and must say it was one of the most fascinating cultural experiences I've witnessed anywhere.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:40 am

I arrived on Easter Island on Easter Sunday this year and can tell you I was a bit disappointed as other than most of the shops being closed (actually the norm for ANY Sunday) there wasn't really much sign that it was any different from any other weekend. Had I thought about it a bit more, I probably wouldn't have been surprised - the Islanders aren't nearly as Catholic as the rest of South America.

That said, definitely include it in your travels at some point, it's a really neat, chill little place! I'd go back in a heart beat ... if only there weren't so many other really cool places to go out and see!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Sous-vetements civilises, BAEC Gold
Rather than Easter, I'd recommend a visit during Tapati (a local carnival-type festival) that was underway when I was there mid-February this year. I don't know if the dates are fixed but I'm sure Google can assist.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
I arrived on Easter Island on Easter Sunday this year and can tell you I was a bit disappointed as other than most of the shops being closed (actually the norm for ANY Sunday) there wasn't really much sign that it was any different from any other weekend. Had I thought about it a bit more, I probably wouldn't have been surprised - the Islanders aren't nearly as Catholic as the rest of South America.

That said, definitely include it in your travels at some point, it's a really neat, chill little place! I'd go back in a heart beat ... if only there weren't so many other really cool places to go out and see!
Ah, thanks for the heads up. I ended up booking my flight for May instead, but I too will be arriving on a Sunday. Any tips on food for the day of my arrival? Where can i change currency?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:57 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Cant comment on Easter Island, but Argentina is in South America and we do not shut down during Easter.... yes, public offices and Banks will not do business on Thursday and Friday of Holy Week, but everything tourism related is very open for business as things are quite busy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.