Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Paramaribo luxury hotels?

Old May 22, 11, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Many

I see KLM is offering roundtrip WBC for 50k miles, seems like it might be a fun redemption. Anyone have any opinions on good hotels (if they exist)? Slightly off topic, if anyone knows the visa process for US nationals going to Suriname that'd be super (specifically, can I get a visa upon arrival). Thanks!
Old May 22, 11, 8:46 pm

Torarica is the place to check - also called the Tor. Paramaribo is OK for a day or two - I'd go for a river trip upcountry which can be extraordinary (jungle, bush villages, swimming with piranhas). It would be a waste not to do it.
Old May 22, 11, 8:56 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
...swimming with piranhas...
umm?
Old May 23, 11, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker View Post
umm?
Most rivers and lakes in Suriname have them - there are places where you can't swim (which have schools of smallish piranhas) and those where you can (single large piranhas - that don't go for larger prey).

I swam in a river with the larger kind and saw one caught. We ate it (the world turned upside down I guess). Not very tasty because of the many bones.
Old May 23, 11, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrophyCollector
The "Royal Torarica" is probably as close as it gets to a luxury hotel in Paramaribo. Relaxing pool area. Interior is a bit sterile. For a more lively atmosphere walk to the adjacent - if somewhat worn out - older sister hotel "Torarica". Most tourists are Dutch. I wouldn't want to spend more than 2 nights here for lack of diversion. Practically all nationalities require a prior visa for Suriname. Apply for multiple-entry if you intend to visit the neighbouring countries French Guyana and (British) Guyana, which is easily possible in a combination of taxi & ferry.
Old Aug 16, 12, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
I see KLM is offering roundtrip WBC for 50k miles, seems like it might be a fun redemption. Anyone have any opinions on good hotels (if they exist)? Slightly off topic, if anyone knows the visa process for US nationals going to Suriname that'd be super (specifically, can I get a visa upon arrival). Thanks!
Most of the year KLM has the 50K miles World Business Class Promo Awards available (these tickets costs between $2,700-$3,500 and the flight is around 8 to 9 hours long).
There are only 2 "good" hotels in Suriname, the Courtyard and Royal Torarica. The Courtyard is a little nicer/newer than Royal Torarica but Royal Torarica is within walking distance of a couple of local attractions. However, the Courtyard (which is in a residential area) is only 2 to 3 minutes from Royal Torarica by taxi/hotel shuttle (taxi's are very cheap btw).

Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
Torarica is the place to check - also called the Tor. Paramaribo is OK for a day or two - I'd go for a river trip upcountry which can be extraordinary (jungle, bush villages, swimming with piranhas). It would be a waste not to do it.
Uhhmmm, Torarica was the place to be at in the 90's...
Torarica is in bad need of a total makeover. Actually, the hotel should probably be demolished since it is way to old to be refurbished...

Actually, TrophyCollector's information is a little out of date...
Don't let the name fool you, there's nothing Royal about "Royal Torarica." However, compared to the regular Torarica you could say it is "Royal."
I would place Royal Torarica in the same category as the Courtyard (which btw is relatively new and looks like the newer Courtyards) further down the street.
In addition, as of last year certain nationalities (USA, Netherlands, Canada, France, Germany, UK among others) do not require a VISA anymore if they intend to stay less than 90 days*. They can now purchase a "Tourist Card" upon arrival at the airport (or at an embassy/consulate) for US$25 instead of applying for a VISA.
Old Aug 17, 12, 12:12 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I checked out "Courtyard" and, guess what, it really is referring to Courtyard by Marriott. The Royal Torarica is in the same price category -- peak season is $175 a night.

Which means that apparently there are no luxury hotels in Paramaribo. So I am going to move this thread to the appropriate geographical thread, the one for South America.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Aug 31, 12, 8:51 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Most of the year KLM has the 50K miles World Business Class Promo Awards available (these tickets costs between $2,700-$3,500 and the flight is around 8 to 9 hours long).
There are only 2 "good" hotels in Suriname, the Courtyard and Royal Torarica. The Courtyard is a little nicer/newer than Royal Torarica but Royal Torarica is within walking distance of a couple of local attractions. However, the Courtyard (which is in a residential area) is only 2 to 3 minutes from Royal Torarica by taxi/hotel shuttle (taxi's are very cheap btw).

Uhhmmm, Torarica was the place to be at in the 90's...
Torarica is in bad need of a total makeover. Actually, the hotel should probably be demolished since it is way to old to be refurbished...

Actually, TrophyCollector's information is a little out of date...
Don't let the name fool you, there's nothing Royal about "Royal Torarica." However, compared to the regular Torarica you could say it is "Royal."
I would place Royal Torarica in the same category as the Courtyard (which btw is relatively new and looks like the newer Courtyards) further down the street.
In addition, as of last year certain nationalities (USA, Netherlands, Canada, France, Germany, UK among others) do not require a VISA anymore if they intend to stay less than 90 days*. They can now purchase a "Tourist Card" upon arrival at the airport (or at an embassy/consulate) for US$25 instead of applying for a VISA.
http://www.surinameembassy.org/tourist_card.shtml Seems those countries still need to get a tourist card before they get to Suriname. Defeats the purpose a bit, no? And yet http://www.consulaatsuriname.nl/inde...7&lang=english says a few countries (the same countries) CAN get it at Paramaribo Airport...hmm.
Old May 22, 15, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
http://www.surinameembassy.org/tourist_card.shtml Seems those countries still need to get a tourist card before they get to Suriname. Defeats the purpose a bit, no? And yet http://www.consulaatsuriname.nl/inde...7&lang=english says a few countries (the same countries) CAN get it at Paramaribo Airport...hmm.
I know this is an old thread, but there is not much discussion on Paramaribo on FT anyway. Looks like some countries are permitted to purchase the tourist card upon arrival at the airport.

On another note, I have a reservation for the Courtyard. Does anyone have any suggestions for cheaper alternatives to get there from the airport? Marriott says "airport shuttle" on its website, but not sure if it carries a fee or not.

Search this Thread