Reload this Page >

24 hrs in Santiago - suggestions?

Old May 17, 11, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More, Hemköp kundkort

Hello all,
I have a trip to the Falkland Islands in October, with a 24 hour layover in Santiago. I'll be arriving early on a friday morning, and leaving early the next morning. I plan to stay at the Holiday Inn at SCL.
I've never been to Santiago, and would really appreciate some help with a few things.

Are the airport buses to the city easy to use for a non-spanish speaker, or would I be better off taking a taxi?

For those of you familiar with the SCL Holiday Inn, will they let me check in early (9 am-ish) or do I need to store my bags in the airport terminal?

What is not to be missed in Santiago city on a one-day visit? I'm thinking of going to the pre-colombian museum, La Moneda and then to Cerro San Cristobal. Any other suggestions?

Also, any restaurant recomendations in the city centre or the Bellavista area would be very welcome. Perhaps something with local cuisine?

Thank you!
Old May 18, 11, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta - Plat
Hi KurtOlsson,

I had a buddy come down for Christmas who speaks zero spanish and he had no issue using the airport bus to get to town. Would I recommend it to my mother, no, but someone who has travel sense and does a little homework before will be fine.

Don't know the holiday inn.

The list of things to hit sounds pretty good. Other options to consider, slightly touristy, are: La Vega, Mercado Central, and walking around Bellavist/Neruda's house.

Food you can eat in mercado central some good fish. True Chilean would be to grab a completo from the hotdog stands on the south side of the plaza de armas. The church there is pretty nifty too. Also try a Mote con huesillo.
Old May 19, 11, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Obiwan!

Nerudas house looks interesting, I'll try to get there too, and maybe have dinner at Mercado central.

What do you reckon is reasonable to squeeze in between say 10 am and 9 pm? Will there be enough time to take a walk from la Moneda to Plaza de Armas (and have a hotdog!), a good look at the museum, up San Cristobal and then on to Nerudas house before dinner? Or should I go to San Cristobal last?

Do you know how late in the evening the airport buses depart from the city? From Los Heroes, right?

Also, what kind of weather should I be expecting in late October? Since I'll be on my way to the Falklands I'll have a supply of warm clothes with me, but I hope I don't need that in Santiago.
Old May 19, 11, 2:38 pm

Once you get out of the terminal, you will see the signs which lead to the buses.
Just make sure to take the good one as there are of course several depending what part of the city you go. Anyway you will be able to ask one of the guy outside who are there in order to give informations.
i don't know how late the buses are running, but i remember once i had to take a cab because it was too late.

Don't miss Mercado Central for lunch, i am not sure it is open for dinner
For dinner i always go to La Union, a cheap and smoky place (where waiters are wearing white suits/black pants) filled with friendly locals watching soccer: a great atmosphere

If you have a full day in Santiago, you could even consider going to Valparaiso, it's worth it !!!
it's only 1-2 hours by bus

BTW if you can post a report of your trip to Malvinas, i would be happy to see it
Old May 20, 11, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks mud, appreciate it.

I'll probably stick to seeing as much of Santiago as I can, since I just have one day, even though Valparaiso seems like a great place.

Whereabouts in Santiago is La Union, is it easy to get to by bus or subway? Sounds like a kind of place I'd like...
Old May 20, 11, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by KurtOlsson View Post
Thanks mud, appreciate it.

I'll probably stick to seeing as much of Santiago as I can, since I just have one day, even though Valparaiso seems like a great place.

Whereabouts in Santiago is La Union, is it easy to get to by bus or subway? Sounds like a kind of place I'd like...
Hi KurtOlsson,

I had to check in the Lonely Planet: the complete name is "Club La Union"
It's located 5 minutes walking from La Moneda
The street name is "calle nueva york", it's a perpendicular pedestrian little street starting from "avenida O'higgins" (aka Alameda)

Here is a picture, inside La Union

If you go there, make sure to drink this (it's called "burgogno or something like this...) , a kind of Sangria with strawberries...delicious
Old May 20, 11, 7:41 pm
Community Director

Neruda's house is a must. If you like lapis lazuli, Chile is one of two places in the world still mining it. I've been told that the other is Afghanistan. Anyway, you can find all kinds of stores with a wide range of lapis products in Bella Vista. Neruda's home is very close to Bella Vista. I like shopping for local craft at Centro Artesanal Los Dominicos.

You might find inspiration in the New York Time's

36 Hours in Santiago.
Old May 23, 11, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks Mud and SanDiego, thats helpful.

I don't think I'll have any problems keeping busy during my day in Santiago...

And Mud, I'll try to remember to write a trip report when I get back from the Falklands.

Search this Thread