Wiki Posts
Search

S. America itinerary - maximizing BA miles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
S. America itinerary - maximizing BA miles

Ok, knowing that taxes/fees to S. America are better than Europe...But I'd like to know an itinerary that will maximize the use of miles while minimizing visa/reprocity fees...Because once the visa fees + BA's taxes reach a comparable price similar to those charged for Europe, I'd be more inclined to go to hit a multi-city European tour.

I realize this means flying LAN, which means I'll be flying out of MIA.

Ideally, I'd like to hit Macchu Picchu and Rio, but not sure what other places to consider.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:19 pm

Well, to give you some ideas, I just did Mia-lim(stop)-ipc(stop)-scl-eze(stop)-lim-Mia in LAN J for 80,000 miles plus $150 in fees and taxes.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LizzyDragon84
Well, to give you some ideas, I just did Mia-lim(stop)-ipc(stop)-scl-eze(stop)-lim-Mia in LAN J for 80,000 miles plus $150 in fees and taxes.
But how much was the visas and entry fees on top of that? There are many countries in Europe that I'd also like to go to that don't charge reprocity fees.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: Delta - Plat
But how much was the visas and entry fees on top of that? There are many countries in Europe that I'd also like to go to that don't charge reprocity fees.
Traveling on an American passport you can expect to pay for visas/reciprocity frees:
Chile--~$140
Argentina-- ~$140 if you fly in to EZE. I know border crossings into AR do not require the fee and I believe no other airports charge it.
Brazil -- You need to get a visa before you leave the states. Also ~$140.
Peru -- Last I checked no visa or reciprocity
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

I have to admit those fees are taking some of the shine away from S. America for me as they add up quick!

Anyway, that knocks out Buenos Aires since I'd prefer to go to Rio de Janeiro...And I'm not doing both.

Right now, I'm probably looking at MIA-LIM-GIG-MIA, and I'd be pretty happy with that actually. I'll just have to make other arrangements from LIM to Cusco.

That said, I'm having a tough time seeing anything for LIM-GIG or GIG-MIA by LAN on BA's site.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:40 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by arvin charles
Right now, I'm probably looking at MIA-LIM-GIG-MIA, and I'd be pretty happy with that actually. I'll just have to make other arrangements from LIM to Cusco.

That said, I'm having a tough time seeing anything for LIM-GIG or GIG-MIA by LAN on BA's site.
I think that LAN doesn't fly LIM-GIG without stops...
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:47 am

I'm not sure about availability, but if you're already getting the Brazilian visa, you could consider this:

MIA-LIM-IGU/IGR-AEP on LAN (stopping at each destination), then buy an AEP or EZE ticket to GIG, then use BA miles for AA GIG-MIA. This avoids the Argentina fee because your entry point is over land at Iguazu Falls, which is a very nice destination in itself. Another alternative would be to bag Buenos Aires and do MIA-LIM-IGU on LAN, then buy IGU to GIG, and miles for GIG-MIA as before.

I don't know that this final alternative would work, but it would be a true coup if it did:
MIA-LIM-IGU/IGR-AEP-MDZ-SCL-GIG all on LAN, with a stopover everywhere except SCL. Avoid all fees (except Brazil visa), but I think it severely violates "direct routing", and is predicated (as is the first itinerary) on IGU/IGR being considered co-terminals.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 7:09 am

For my itinerary, the only reciprocity fee I paid was for Argentina. I avoided the Chilean one by making Easter Island my first point of entry into Chile. Peru does not have a reciprocity fee. I did try to avoid Argentina's fee as well by routing IPC-SCL-MDZ-AEP. However, according to the phone agent that was not a valid routing. He tried other similar routings but the only ones that were allowed were direct SCL-EZE routings.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andreadbc
I think that LAN doesn't fly LIM-GIG without stops...
You're right, it seems it goes from LIM-SCL-GIG.

So if I go MIA-LIM-IPC-SCL-GIG-MIA, I'd only have to pay extra for getting into Brazil.

The LIM-CUS leg will have to be purchased independently (Lan lists the price as $110).

Also, I'm avoiding having to use more miles aside from an economy redemption as I'll be saving the rest for N. American trips.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:52 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
So if I go MIA-LIM-IPC-SCL-GIG-MIA, I'd only have to pay extra for getting into Brazil.

The LIM-CUS leg will have to be purchased independently (Lan lists the price as $110).
I think that LIM-IPC were being discontinued until January or something so check if this is possible for your intended dates.
Do check if the price that you are seeing for the LIM-CUZ flights is available for non-residents as LAN restricts sale fares (annoying, I know).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.