Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Daylight Savings Time Changeover in Chile

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2011, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Daylight Savings Time Changeover in Chile

We are flying into Santiago, with arrival on March 10th (Thursday.) I understand that Daylight Savings Time will end for the year at midnight on Saturday, March 12th (changing to Sunday, March 13th) so that clocks will move back one hour at that time. Is this correct? Currently we are in the US Central Time Zone, so we understand that there is currently a three hour time difference (6:00PM in Chicago = 9:00PM in Santiago.) After the changeover, when Santiago goes off daylight savings time and Chicago goes on, I believe that 6:00PM in Chicago = 7:00PM Santiago. Is this correct? I have never worked with time changeover on Daylight Savings Time from the Northern to Southern Hemispheres before, and just don't want to miss connections on Sunday after the change. Also, we will be going from Santiago to Valparaiso, and want to be sure that there is no time zone change involved in that trip. Thanks for any insight anyone can supply.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Santiago to Valpo is a 2 hour drive. All Chile (mainland) is the same time zone. During the Southern Winter, the time is the same as EST (subject to the shoulder times when the time is off by an hour).

If you are flying LAN, check and double check your flight times - they've been known to not always adjust for daylight time changes, although this close to departure, everything should be ok (part of this have been shifts of when it starts/stops, and part of which is the fault of the government of Argentina).
Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Here's a great web site for all kinds of time information throughout the world...

http://timeanddate.com/

Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by Cornroaster
Currently we are in the US Central Time Zone, so we understand that there is currently a three hour time difference (6:00PM in Chicago = 9:00PM in Santiago.) After the changeover, when Santiago goes off daylight savings time and Chicago goes on, I believe that 6:00PM in Chicago = 7:00PM Santiago. Is this correct?
That is correct.

During the Southern Winter, the time is the same as EST (subject to the shoulder times when the time is off by an hour).
The time is the same as Eastern Daylight Time.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the info. It makes me more comfortable to be sure of this going into our trip.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
That is correct.

The time is the same as Eastern Daylight Time.
Tenés razon. Podés azotarme ahora mismo.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
According to my MS Outlook calendar (which nearly always gets these things right), the three hour difference between Chicago and Santiago reverts to two hours on Sunday 13 March. The "shoulder" period is only one week long, and starting on Sunday 20 March the difference between Chicago and Santiago will be one hour. I'm not sure if Chile goes off DST a week before the US goes on DST or whether it's the other way around, but that should be immaterial as far as flight scheduling goes.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

We have now gotten word that the government of Chile has moved the change from Daylight Savings Time from March 13th to April 2nd. So it looks like we don't have anything to worry about on the weekend of the 13th. www.timeanddate.com had the change listed as 3/13/11 a few days ago, but the website now lists the changeover as 4/2/11.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Energy saving measure:

http://www.economiaynegocios.cl/noti...s.asp?id=82243

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...110302?rpc=444
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:19 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
An exceptional situation but got screwed once because the last time there was a Chile impromptu change in the shift to standard time, the early morning Turbus to Mendoza with an Argentina crew did not change their watch so 7 am to them was actually 6 am in Chile.

As a result, we missed our bus and we and another family ended up hours later in the Turbus service office (I left customer out as there rarely is such a focus in Chile) pleading our case. Turbus never admitted to the error and stood by their fine print that all we were entitled to was a refund of 50% as we missed the bus (and thus at fault).

I boycott them to this day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.