Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Montevideo

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2010, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAA Voyager Platinum, LifeMiles Diamond, HHonors Silver, SPG Gold, Tsogo Sun Director
Montevideo

Hey there fellow fter's. I'm not sure this is the right place to talk about this but here I go...

In a couple weeks I'll be flying to Montevideo as a small business trip, but I will have three free days to hang out over there, if I can get any tips on nice but not overly expensive restaurants and even points to visit on the town.

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:47 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the FT South America Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 24, 2010, 6:27 pm

I really liked La Spaghetteria 23, but it is near the Sheraton and the attached mall. I'm guessing you'll be staying downtown.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The New York Times travel section had a recent feature on Montevideo:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/10/25...l/25hours.html

(Note: One of the department heads at my company is from Uruguay - I showed him the article and he pronounced it "pretty good")
Old Dec 25, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Montevideo is a little dated and older (but not is a nice way); The areas around Sheraton and the beach is modern but not spectacular; The downtown is old, run down and even though it has some nice restaurants, that is about it.

I would recommend taking a flight to Buenos Aires and spending your 3 days there.
You can go via boat, bus/boat combo or flight.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAA Voyager Platinum, LifeMiles Diamond, HHonors Silver, SPG Gold, Tsogo Sun Director
I know Buenos Aires pretty well, I wore out the whole South America but Uruguay, I believe I will go to Punta Del Este with a couple co-workers, what do you guys have to say about that?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by keisari
Montevideo is a little dated and older (but not is a nice way); The areas around Sheraton and the beach is modern but not spectacular; The downtown is old, run down and even though it has some nice restaurants, that is about it.

I would recommend taking a flight to Buenos Aires and spending your 3 days there.
You can go via boat, bus/boat combo or flight.
Montevideo is not as bad as you make it out to be. I always recommend tourists to Buenos Aires to go spend a couple of days there.....it's a good place to walk about in and not as daunting as BA can sometimes be to the first time visitor.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by cmte_valle
I know Buenos Aires pretty well, I wore out the whole South America but Uruguay, I believe I will go to Punta Del Este with a couple co-workers, what do you guys have to say about that?
Punta del Este is a very nice Brazilian resort, in that more than half the people there are Brazilian. I like it very much and the people watching at year end is sure to be entertaining.

BTW, I quite like Montevideo also. Those who do not usually are wanting lots more action and good nightlife. Montevideo is reminiscent of an older age, somewhat akin to Biarritz IMHO.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cmte_valle
I believe I will go to Punta Del Este with a couple co-workers, what do you guys have to say about that?
If you like posing then you'll fit in well.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Punta del Este is a very nice Brazilian resort, in that more than half the people there are Brazilian. I like it very much and the people watching at year end is sure to be entertaining.
Actually about 30% this year if reports are correct - the bulk are Argentines (on all Uruguayan beaches in season). If in Punta - get a car and spend your time in La Barra and Jose Igancia. Make reservations for lunch at La Huella and for Dinner ate Marismo. If in MVD - I like the Torres Garcia Museum (and El Palenque Restaurant in the Puerto) - you can also go to Cafe Mysterio is also a safe bet.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Here's a thread I started a couple years ago after a great stay in Montevideo...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...sant-stay.html

Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prspad
Here's a thread I started a couple years ago after a great stay in Montevideo...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...sant-stay.html

Thanks for all the replys, it helped me killing time over there. at the end of the day, the company is paying me to travel anyway.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I ate at a restaurant called Francis. It was excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.