Wiki Posts
Search

Colombia: Zipaquirá as a day trip from Bogota

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2010, 5:06 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Colombia: Zipaquirá as a day trip from Bogota

I've just read about the Salt Cathedral in Zipaquirá. It sounds like an interesting day trip from Bogota. (It's just 49 km away.) Is it possible to hire a taxi for the day to go? Or are there organized bus tours?

Also, for flights we need to buy within Colombia, is there a particular website with discounted fares? I'm finding $400 RT to Cartagena, or $266 RT to Medellin. I'm not finding any discount for a RT.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:05 am

Its an easy daytrip and worth the effort. Day tours are easily booked through your hotel and a taxi for the day would also be no problem. When I did it 15years ago I just took the public bus from downtown Bogota.

If you take a taxi for the day I'd strongly suggest doing the cathedral in the morning and stopping on the way back for lunch at Andres Carne de Res in Chia -a Bogota institution and worth a trip in itself. http://www.andrescarnederes.com/
Old Mar 19, 2010, 5:01 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I was not very impressed with the Salt Cathedral. It seemed to be one of those things made just for tourists. As for getting there, I used the hotel car/driver, which was probably the most expensive way of doing it, but it was comfortable and easy. It's far less than a day trip - a morning trip perhaps.

Aires had the best fares for the flights I took within Colombia. Their planes were comfortable, on time, and service was fine.
http://www.aires.aero/Home/ You should find roundtrips between Bogota and Medellin and/or Cartegena for about $100 US.

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 19, 2010 at 5:09 am
Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:17 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Thanks for the info about the cathedral.

Re air fares, I've learned that if I put my country to Colombia on the avianca site, prices drop about 50%.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:38 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Thanks for the info about the cathedral.

Re air fares, I've learned that if I put my country to Colombia on the avianca site, prices drop about 50%.
Yes, I did that too, but be careful you don't end up with fares that are only good if issued as paper tickets picked up in Colombia within 24 hours. That's what I found with the lowest fares on the Colombia site.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:42 am

Programs: Bombay Sapphire; Sephora Plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've just read about the Salt Cathedral in Zipaquirá. It sounds like an interesting day trip from Bogota. (It's just 49 km away.) Is it possible to hire a taxi for the day to go? Or are there organized bus tours?

Also, for flights we need to buy within Colombia, is there a particular website with discounted fares? I'm finding $400 RT to Cartagena, or $266 RT to Medellin. I'm not finding any discount for a RT.
I think the new Cathedral is quite impressive, worth the visit. I guess the concierge of the hotel can arrange either a private or a organized bus tour for you.

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Its an easy daytrip and worth the effort. Day tours are easily booked through your hotel and a taxi for the day would also be no problem. When I did it 15years ago I just took the public bus from downtown Bogota.

If you take a taxi for the day I'd strongly suggest doing the cathedral in the morning and stopping on the way back for lunch at Andres Carne de Res in Chia -a Bogota institution and worth a trip in itself. http://www.andrescarnederes.com/
Andres Carne de Res is a MUST DO!

Originally Posted by l'etoile
Yes, I did that too, but be careful you don't end up with fares that are only good if issued as paper tickets picked up in Colombia within 24 hours. That's what I found with the lowest fares on the Colombia site.
AV doesn't issue paper tickets anymore, and if they do, they'll sure apply the IATA surcharge for a paper ticket issue (around $50, if I'm not wrong).

P5 (Aerorepública) has definitely cheaper fares than AV, and bran new embraer planes, which I personally find very comfortable. They don't offer bussiness class service, but they'll recognize your CO status and give you lounge access and priority check-in/boarding.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
A bit OT maybe, but CO Onepass has a promotion until July 3rd - 5000 miles for a domestic reward flight in Colombia with Aerorepublica (round trip)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.