Wiki Posts
Search

SAA to Mauritius

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2021, 6:28 am
Original Poster

SAA to Mauritius

Hi all
Any news or hints as to when SAA might resume international flights to Mauritius?
I’ve read there is a growing demand for flights from South Africa to Mauritius and vice-versa, with Air Mauritius, Comair and FlySafair being the only airlines flying already or in the new future.
Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2021, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by stevie_ba
Hi all
Any news or hints as to when SAA might resume international flights to Mauritius?
I’ve read there is a growing demand for flights from South Africa to Mauritius and vice-versa, with Air Mauritius, Comair and FlySafair being the only airlines flying already or in the new future.
Thanks
I don't think we will see SAA return to MRU anytime soon as they are focusing on "profitable" routes with their very limited fleet.

I would expect Emriates to operate a fifth freedom flight DXB-MRU-JNB (twice weekly) with SAA to codeshare.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by imverge
I don't think we will see SAA return to MRU anytime soon as they are focusing on "profitable" routes with their very limited fleet.

I would expect Emirates to operate a fifth freedom flight DXB-MRU-JNB (twice weekly) with SAA to codeshare.
+1

At this point in its reincarnation, SAA needs to be extremely careful in what routes it flies.

I've posted SAA's current operations in this post in the SAA restart thread. I just double checked it and it remains accurate. Only flights from JNB to CPT, HRE and LUN currently with FIH (Kinshasa) being added on 10 October. The only other addition currently in the schedule is JNB to/from MPM starting 1 December.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 6:09 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
I would expect Emriates to operate a fifth freedom flight DXB-MRU-JNB (twice weekly) with SAA to codeshare.
Do you know this for a fact? It would be wonderful if true.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican2
Do you know this for a fact? It would be wonderful if true.
Given that SAA has greatly expanded its codeshare agreement with EK effective October 1st I'd say it's very likely.

https://gulfnews.com/business/aviati...ays-1.82608071
Old Oct 3, 2021, 9:38 am

Given that SAA has greatly expanded its codeshare agreement with EK effective October 1st I'd say it's very likely.

https://gulfnews.com/business/aviati...ays-1.82608071
I read that, but that expansion has so far not involved any fifth freedom rights, as far as I’m aware.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 11:45 am

I read that, but that expansion has so far not involved any fifth freedom rights, as far as I’m aware.
All options are on the table because SAA really has no choice. They don't have the aircraft to operate flights so you either codeshare with Emriates and make some money (without the operating costs) or you make zero. nada, nothing.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 1:04 pm

All options are on the table because SAA really has no choice. They don't have the aircraft to operate flights so you either codeshare with Emriates and make some money (without the operating costs) or you make zero. nada, nothing.
Codesharing and fifth freedoms are two different things, though, is my point. Fifth freedom rights are not a simple matter of two airlines agreeing. Presumably MK would have a lot to say about it, although I think Mauritius has an open skies arrangement. South African regulators wouldn’t let SQ do it in the past.

Thanks for clarifying that you were speculating, and have a good one. I hope it happens.
imverge likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 1:38 pm

Codesharing and fifth freedoms are two different things, though, is my point. Fifth freedom rights are not a simple matter of two airlines agreeing. Presumably MK would have a lot to say about it, although I think Mauritius has an open skies arrangement. South African regulators wouldn’t let SQ do it in the past.

Thanks for clarifying that you were speculating, and have a good one. I hope it happens.
Personally, I hope it happens with Turkish Airlines as they are a Star Alliance member. Turkish operates IST-MLE-CMB. They could do IST-MRU-JNB
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SAA starts flying to Mauritius in November

SAA disagrees with your assessment.

Johan
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by johan rebel
SAA disagrees with your assessment.

Johan
+1

I just checked EF and I now see SA190 from JNB to MRU 2x weekly (We & Su) starting 21 November.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA CK, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum, Avis Presidents
SAA route selection at this point seems very odd and arbitrary. Think it might be doomed from the start.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by globalflight
SAA route selection at this point seems very odd and arbitrary. Think it might be doomed from the start.
But consistent with how they’ve operated for a long time, so it’s predictable (yes, their arbitrary behaviour is predictable). I found the whole SAA conceding fifth freedom rights to EK entirely inconsistent with how they’ve behaved in the past. Seemed more like wishful thinking than actual intel.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 2:30 am

Well this is a surprise and good news! Now let’s see if it sticks.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 2:48 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Well, I would not book anything on an SAA route which is not actually operating. They might can the route and then not refund you. Or they'll all be on strike. Way to insecure at the moment.

(with the amount of money that I have poured into that airline as a SA taxpayer I should qualify for a free ticket, actually.... Oh no, it's a different airline now... Really?)
cheltzel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.