FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South African Airways | Voyager (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-african-airways-voyager-752/)
-   -   SAA Re-Start September 23 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-african-airways-voyager/2050752-saa-re-start-september-23-a.html)

b_magee Aug 26, 2021 2:44 am

SAA Re-Start September 23

SAA announced it will restart flights on September 23rd.
Initial network will be JNB to CPT, HRE, LUN, FIH, ACC, MPM
Voyager booking & travel credits can be used starting September 6th

Initial operations outlined here:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...91c6132931.jpg
https://www.flysaa.com/documents/51855150/939866706/SAA+Restart+Flight+Schedule.pdf

johan rebel Aug 26, 2021 3:59 pm

Bet all those flights are overbooked already, what with those zillions of loyal customers who have been itching to get their bums in SAA seats again.

Johan

BOSskier Aug 26, 2021 6:28 pm

As one that from time to time winds up in Mauritius (and I'm from the US), I am surprised they aren't aligning a start there for when the island opens fully in October. Seems like it would be a no-brainer. Maybe I'm asking too much?

thijsseh Aug 28, 2021 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by BOSskier (Post 33522225)
As one that from time to time winds up in Mauritius (and I'm from the US), I am surprised they aren't aligning a start there for when the island opens fully in October. Seems like it would be a no-brainer. Maybe I'm asking too much?

In it's past reincarnation, logic (as in 'no-brainer') and SAA were mutually exclusive. One can only hope that the Phoenix which may or may not arise from the ashes is different, but I am not holding my breath.

johan rebel Aug 29, 2021 9:02 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh (Post 33526242)
logic (as in 'no-brainer') and SAA were mutually exclusive.

The only remaining logic was of the pocket lining variety.

Johan

cheltzel Aug 29, 2021 1:15 pm

Who is this Takatso Consortium? It looks to me that there are tow major players: Harith Partners and Global Aviation. The first group's experience in aviation seems to be the development of Lanseria Airport and the second group is an aircraft leasing organization.

Is anybody i this deal experienced in running an airline?

TBD Sep 1, 2021 9:05 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel (Post 33527957)
Is anybody i this deal experienced in running an airline?

I can't believe anyone with airline experience would think SAA is a good investment.

ETA: Actually looks like Takatso's CEO is a former Comair CEO.

johan rebel Sep 1, 2021 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel (Post 33527957)
Who is this Takatso Consortium? It looks to me that there are tow major players: Harith Partners and Global Aviation. The first group's experience in aviation seems to be the development of Lanseria Airport and the second group is an aircraft leasing organization.

"Gidon Novick, CEO of SAA's chosen equity partner, the Takatso consortium, has denied rumours on social media that Global Aviation, or Takatso itself has pulled out of the deal."

Source

Johan

johan rebel Sep 1, 2021 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by TBD (Post 33535691)
I can't believe anyone with airline experience would think SAA is a good investment.

Flying solo: SAA will have to stand on its own after Treasury ushers in a new era of no bailouts to SOEs

Cleared for takeoff? SAA plans to restart with R500m or less

Johan

TBD Sep 2, 2021 9:36 am

I'm not sure how to take those two articles .... but it sounds like their relaunch isn't so certain.

Porch Sep 23, 2021 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by TBD (Post 33538516)
I'm not sure how to take those two articles .... but it sounds like their relaunch isn't so certain.

lol its South Africa, till the plane is in the air we dont know if its going :)

thijsseh Sep 24, 2021 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Porch (Post 33591454)
lol its South Africa, till the plane is in the air we dont know if its going :)

And once it is in the air, we don't know WHERE it is going....;)

cheltzel Sep 26, 2021 9:03 am

It seems that SA is operating two flights a day between JNB and CPT this week. A larger schedule will be implemented next week with additional flights between JNB and three regional airports (HRE, LUN and FIH).

johan rebel Oct 12, 2021 11:10 am

Unions already threatening industrial action.

Way to go!

Johan

Smiley90 Nov 11, 2021 7:44 pm

What are the odds the airline will actually survive into next summer? I was planning to tack on a paid JNB-CPT flight to my award ticket into JNB, but I COULD just amend it to add JNB-CPT on SAA for free. But if this resurgence is short-lived it'll just make it more messy... Anyone got a good guess?