Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

South Africa- Bans foreigners from high risk countries - including USA (COVID-19)

South Africa- Bans foreigners from high risk countries - including USA (COVID-19)

Old Mar 15, 20, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-n...hnk/index.html

South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa addressed the nation Sunday evening to announce "urgent and drastic measures" to combat the novel coronavirus pandemic in the country.

Ramaphosa also declared a "national state of disaster" for South Africa and said the country was now dealing with internal transmission of the virus.

“There can be no half measures,” he said.

Ramaphosa announced that travel will be prohibited from the following high-risk countries: Italy; Iran; South Korea; Spain; Germany; US; United Kingdom and China starting March 18.

Existing visas from citizens of those countries will also be cancelled. Any foreigner who visited high risk countries in the past twenty days will also be denied a visa.

Effective immediately, South African citizens are also advised to refrain from all forms of travel to or through the European Union, United States, United Kingdom and other identified high-risk countries such as China, Iran and South Korea.

South African government officials are barred from international travel as well.
Old Mar 15, 20, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓
Your link goes to the generic CNN page. Here's a link specific to this containing the full transcript and the video:

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/sou...onal-disaster/
Key travel related points:
​​​​​​
  • First, to limit contact between persons who may be infected and South African citizens, we are imposing a travel ban on foreign nationals from high-risk countries such as Italy, Iran, South Korea, Spain, Germany, the US, the UK and China from March 18 2020.
  • We have cancelled visas to visitors from those countries from today and previously granted visas are hereby revoked.
  • South African citizens are advised to refrain from all forms of travel to or through the EU, US, UK and other identified high-risk countries such as China, Iran and South Korea. This is effective immediately.
  • The government will continue to regularly issue travel alerts referring to specific cities, countries or regions as the situation evolves based on the risk level.
  • Any foreign national who has visited high-risk countries in the past 20 days will be denied a visa.
  • South African citizens returning from high-risk countries will be subjected to testing and self-isolation or quarantine on return to SA.
  • Travellers from medium-risk countries such as Portugal, Hong Kong and Singapore will be required to undergo high-intensity screening.
  • All travellers who have entered SA from high-risk countries since mid-February will be required to present themselves for testing.
  • We will strengthen surveillance, screening and testing measures at OR Tambo, Cape Town and King Shaka International airports.
  • SA has 72 ports of entry in the country, which are land, sea- and airports. Of the 53 land ports, 35 will be shut down with effect from Monday March 16. Two of the eight seaports will be closed for passengers and crew changes.
  • Effective immediately, all non-essential travel for all spheres of government outside the republic is prohibited.
  • We further discourage all non-essential domestic travel, particularly by air, rail, taxis and bus.
Old Mar 15, 20, 7:30 pm

By the way, I recently started a thread about how COVID-19 may affect South African Airways. I'm sure this will cause some further flight changes
COVID-19: Impact on South African Airways
Old Mar 16, 20, 9:03 am
Original Poster

thank you both for those links
Old Mar 16, 20, 3:51 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Is SAA really still flying JFK-JNB given that travel from the US is now banned? I have an upcoming trip on this route (in about a week) that I'd obviously like to cancel given the travel ban. I've been told that the only thing they're offering is one free change but the new travel must commence by Sep, which doesn't work with my schedule.

Seems ridiculous...
Old Mar 16, 20, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by wetrat0 View Post
Is SAA really still flying JFK-JNB given that travel from the US is now banned? I have an upcoming trip on this route (in about a week) that I'd obviously like to cancel given the travel ban. I've been told that the only thing they're offering is one free change but the new travel must commence by Sep, which doesn't work with my schedule.

Seems ridiculous...
SA204 JFK-JNB 3/16. It's in the air right now. Seat map shows 80% full. Interesting.
Old Mar 17, 20, 5:39 am

Seems ridiculous...
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander View Post
SA204 JFK-JNB 3/16. It's in the air right now. Seat map shows 80% full. Interesting.
Actually SAA allows travel by Feb 2021 - https://www.flysaa.com/za-traveladvisory
The ban only starts at the 18th, I would suggest waiting until the last minute before making any changes to see if they might change their policy further
Old Mar 17, 20, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
Actually SAA allows travel by Feb 2021 - https://www.flysaa.com/za-traveladvisory
The ban only starts at the 18th, I would suggest waiting until the last minute before making any changes to see if they might change their policy further
You are correct the ban starts March 18 (I forgot I even posted that in one of my first posts above).

Their revised rebooking conditions only apply to SAA issued tickets, so that's good for some. Not for me - my ticket is issued by United Airlines, however it is an award booking so worst case scenario is I get my miles redeposited.
Old Mar 17, 20, 7:15 am

Their revised rebooking conditions only apply to SAA issued tickets, so that's good for some. Not for me - my ticket is issued by United Airlines, however it is an award booking so worst case scenario is I get my miles redeposited.
Indeed, if your ticket is issued on UA stock then SAA policy is irrelevant.
Old Mar 17, 20, 3:56 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
You are correct the ban starts March 18 (I forgot I even posted that in one of my first posts above).

I guess I wonder.. once the ban goes into effect, how is there going to be ANY demand for this flight? And assuming they cancel the flight (why would they keep it running?) can they really get away with not offering a refund?
Old Mar 18, 20, 1:36 am

Why wouldn't there be?
1. Americans still in ZA wanting to get home, either at the end of their planned trip or earlier (and v.v.)
2. Connecting PAX to other destinations in Africa/Middle East(?) where no travel ban is imposed
3. Connecting PAX from other destinations in Americas where from where no travel ban is imposed

Of course the demand will be much lower, and might not justify keeping the same frequency or running it at all.

Last edited by Ditto; Mar 18, 20 at 3:34 am
Old Mar 18, 20, 2:18 am

Can people originating in the US still transit through ACC and JNB?
Old Mar 18, 20, 3:33 am

Timatic only mention that they would not be allowed to enter (and this doesn't show up if you choose ZA as a transit country), also it would seem that point 3 above is not really valid
- Passengers with a normal passport, who have transited or are
arriving from China (People's Rep.), France, Germany, Iran,
Italy, Korea (Rep.), Spain, Switzerland, USA or United
Kingdom are not allowed to enter South Africa.
A similar note is true for ACC.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 10:51 pm

I guess I wonder.. once the ban goes into effect, how is there going to be ANY demand for this flight? And assuming they cancel the flight (why would they keep it running?) can they really get away with not offering a refund?

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ection/refunds

Search this Thread
Search Engine: