Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

Need advice on dealing with “denied boarding” on South African Airways

Old Jan 11, 20, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH GLD, IHG PLT

Bumping this very old thread.

We are flying SAA JFK to/from JNB. I read online SAA routinely over books and bumps folks. Hopefully we don't involuntarily get bumped.

Question: if we volunteer and get selected for the bump on the JNB to JFK return leg, where can we use the denied boarding compensation $? I assume it is airline money and not real cash. We live in the USA so don't anticipate flying on SAA metal anytime after this trip. Can SAA money be used on other *A carrier such as United? If yes, what is the process for booking *A carrier using SAA denied boarding compensation.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Old Jan 11, 20, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Unless proven otherwise, I would assume that VDB compensation will be paid as a voucher that can only be used for SAA. It might work also for SAA's regional affiliate and a SAA marketed flight (codeshare) ticketed on SAA ticket stock *might* work, but if it matters, IMO you should assume no regardless of what the GA might tell you orally.

BTW, I'd also be concerned about the potential future value of a SAA voucher if SAA ceases operations due to financial difficulties.

OTOH, in some countries you can get cash or a check/direct deposit/general gift card for a VDB/IDB, so that could be an option that would work for you, although these amounts tend to be lower than what would be paid in the form of an airline voucher.
Old Jan 15, 20, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by miles_navigator View Post
routinely over books and bumps folks.
"[R]outinely" - huh? In nearly 20 years of flying JFK-JNB, ATL-JNB/CPT and IAD-JFK (Business and Economy, paid SAA ticket stock, paid then-DL-affiliation ticket stock, award tickets, alone and in groups, assigned seats months in advance, no assigned seats at check-in), I've NEVER experienced gate staff at either end of these routes calling for volunteers or involuntarily bumping folks.

Given SAA's financial woes, I'd pass on volunteering.
Old Jan 20, 20, 9:46 pm

Based in JNB and flown hundreds of SAA flights local, regional, international. The routine overbooking just doesn't happen.
Wish it did (as you can see by my user name).

OTOT, I have seen it with some of the SAA LCC's, but these seemed more invol DB, again, never heard them asking for volunteers like is standard in the U.S

Search this Thread
Search Engine: