Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

SAA to suspend services between Johannesburg and Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

A new press release has the details:

South African Airways (SAA) is today announcing the suspension of all services between Johannesburg and Hong Kong from Saturday, 23 November until and including, 14 December 2019.

This decision has been taken to curb significant financial losses incurred on the route, exacerbated recently by the ongoing political tensions in Hong Kong,

“The decision to suspend services to Hong Kong is regrettable, but necessitated by the current downturn in business due to the developing challenges in the region. By suspending these flights, we can concentrate on resuming more regional services at the earliest opportunity and make better use of all our resources,” said Philip Saunders, SAA’s Chief Commercial Officer.

SAA will be implementing a re-accommodation policy for customers booked on services to and from Hong Kong, and will be in contact with customers at the earliest opportunity. At present, the airline operates four services every week between Johannesburg and Hong Kong.

In recent months, several airlines have announced reductions in services and capacity to Hong Kong. These include the home-based carrier Cathay Pacific, as well as Air China, Singapore Airlines, All Nippon Airways, United Airlines and others. The impact of these reduced operations is further reinforced by a year-on-year decline of 13% in passenger volumes recorded at Hong Kong International Airport in October 2019.

A further announcement relating to the resumption of further selected regional services will be made in a separate press release to be issued today.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
2 days notice, pretty poor
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
2 days notice, pretty poor
Indeed. I wonder why the suspension is only until December 14. Maybe holiday traffic picks up then and they can fill the planes? Or maybe it will be a rolling suspension and they'll soon cancel flights after the 14th as well.
Cheetah_SA likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
We’ve been speculating about the viability of this route for some time. The informed opinion was that cargo sustained it. Maybe not.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
We’ve been speculating about the viability of this route for some time. The informed opinion was that cargo sustained it. Maybe not.
Yes, it's been struggling for a while. Add recent events in HKG which have caused many other airlines to cut capacity and the nail was in the coffin.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:30 pm

Based on RoutesOnline, the suspension was extended 3 times, now going to end of Feb.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...-mid-jan-2020/

I have a flight booked on them JNB HKG for mid March as an award, should I assume this is going to be cancelled? Anybody know how SAA has been rerouting people?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
I have a flight booked on them JNB HKG for mid March as an award, should I assume this is going to be cancelled? Anybody know how SAA has been rerouting people?
The entire airline may be canceled by then, it is really teetering on the brink now. Let's see what happens coming Saturday.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.