Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

Strike action on Friday 15 November 2019 onwards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strike action on Friday 15 November 2019 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
In the local news this morning - "Business Day" is the newspaper, they mentioned that the strike may carry on longer than expected.
My one Client (based in the USA) only gave me the green light to fly to Accra this weekend late yesterday, and after my last fiasco with SAA (Technical issues), I prefer Ethiopian anyway, even with the ADD layover / stop. So yesterday I tried an online booking and it bombed out, then tried the call centre - no luck, so now that morning traffic has calmed down, need to go to the sales office (thankfully close to where I live), and hopefully secure a booking.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:44 am

Latest update:

SAA may reinstate long haul flights on Sunday, but for now, Domestic and Regional will not start up on Sunday.

Managed to get my ticket on ET to ACC on Sunday and the lady at the office said that they are being inundated with re-bookings and flights going out today are filling up fast.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:09 am

Any updates on the strike?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by jiffer21225
Any updates on the strike?
SAA has lots of updates on their site. They are not particularly encouraging. https://www.flysaa.com/about-us/lead...eases/newsroom
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
SAA has lots of updates on their site. They are not particularly encouraging. https://www.flysaa.com/about-us/lead...eases/newsroom
Thanks for that. It was an interesting read. It doesnt sound very promising.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I am booked to fly MUC-JNB on SAA metal with a 220 (LH) ticket on 31/12 (booked via Expedia).

I guess if it all goes pear shaped, Expedia is my first port of call and they will work with LH for a solution?
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I am booked to fly MUC-JNB on SAA metal with a 220 (LH) ticket on 31/12 (booked via Expedia).

I guess if it all goes pear shaped, Expedia is my first port of call and they will work with LH for a solution?
If you have not done so, get proper travel insurance. At the moment, nobody knows what will happen from week to week, so rather brace yourself for the worst.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
If you have not done so, get proper travel insurance. At the moment, nobody knows what will happen from week to week, so rather brace yourself for the worst.
I rather feared that would be the answer. I am fully covered.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Had a couple of United award tickets with SA booked, that I now changed to other carriers.
Although it doesn't appear my SA flights would have been affected for this weekend: JNB-MUC and JNB-JFK looks like business as usual?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by narvik
Had a couple of United award tickets with SA booked, that I now changed to other carriers.
Although it doesn't appear my SA flights would have been affected for this weekend: JNB-MUC and JNB-JFK looks like business as usual?
No, they seem to be business as usual with their few international flights.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: LH Senator BA Silver
It appears as though the current strike actions may have been resolved, though I'm sure SAA's larger woes are far from over...

https://www.fin24.com/Companies/saa-...-deal-20191122
Old Dec 1, 2019, 5:30 pm

I am currently travelling (several time zones away), so am not 100% sure on what is happening on the ground. But suffice to say, several Insurance Companies have refused to issue travel insurance to people with SAA bookings. Plus, a large Travel Agent Group have refused to sell any SAA tickets, so who knows what the future will bring...........
Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
I am currently travelling (several time zones away), so am not 100% sure on what is happening on the ground. But suffice to say, several Insurance Companies have refused to issue travel insurance to people with SAA bookings. Plus, a large Travel Agent Group have refused to sell any SAA tickets, so who knows what the future will bring...........
This is really not sounding good.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:07 am

It doesn't surprise me that travel companies are avoiding SAA. It's a big risk booking anything with them because of their financial issues. I'm flying to JNB next year and I decided to fly Emirates instead even though it was a more expensive and a much longer flight.

Hereis an interesting article about SAA

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....s-restructure/

Last edited by jiffer21225; Dec 3, 2019 at 7:16 am
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:58 am

Airlink impact?

I'm trying to closely follow any updates/news regarding SAA, we have multiple flights coming up in a couple weeks that had been booked months ago since we are traveling during festive season. We have 1 flight booked with SAA Johannesburg to Livingstone which I know was cancelled throughout the strike so if things collapse I'm sure that would be impacted. It looked like the Airlink flights, however, were not impacted. Would these flights be completely separate from SAA if it collapsed? I was able to find a backup option with British Air if needed for the Livingstone flight, but I have no idea about possible backup options for our Cape Town-Skukuza-JNB flights that are currently booked with Airlink. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, or is there a sense that if anything falls apart it wouldn't happen as quickly as the next few weeks hopefully?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.