SAA Financials

Old Sep 16, 19, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
SAA Financials

Got flights booked in Jan/Feb with SAA(And Mango in October), but have recently been reading of their financial issues. Not wanting to go hyperbolic on this, but any issues to be concerned about on the financial collapse front and any safety issues?
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:36 am

Programs: AC S100K
If you track this forum you’ll see that this question comes up regularly. For those of us who fly SAA occasionally, it always seems to be on the brink of disaster, yet it just keeps going. I expect the airline is just too important to South Africa for the government to allow it to collapse.
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:50 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
It's a bit like Alitalia. Yes it's in permanent financial distress, and yet thanks to the government, there is almost no chance of it disappearing anytime soon
Cheetah_SA, Yoshi212 and thijsseh like this.

Last edited by ajeleonard; Sep 16, 19 at 7:09 am
Old Sep 16, 19, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
I suspected as much as I have read these stories a few times in recent years and they are still going. I assume that there is no concern to fly with them too.
Old Sep 17, 19, 11:27 am
Formerly known as scootr29

I have a flight booked with them in December...IAD - JNB via ACC. I do however have a back up plan. I am a Platinum Medallion on Delta and have a flight booked from DTW - AMS - JNB. As a PM member I am allowed to cancel my awards flight up to 72 hours before the flight.
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC*G-E50K (former AC*G-SE100K for 3 yrs)
I enjoy SAA over Lufthansa, Air France and KLM on the routes I fly, as long as it's not the old A340 planes.

I usually try to book SAA ticketed by a different airline so that if they do go under I am protected by different airline. But I don't think they will ever go under given government support. It would be too disruptive to the economy.
escapefromphl likes this.

Search this Thread