BA vs. SAA CPT to JNB

Old Jul 21, 19, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex AA EXP
BA vs. SAA CPT to JNB

For domestic flights in South Africa going from JNB to CPT, which is a better business class product, SAA or BA? Also, is business class even worth the incremental difference? Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 19, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by MarkP24 View Post
For domestic flights in South Africa going from JNB to CPT, which is a better business class product, SAA or BA? Also, is business class even worth the incremental difference? Thanks!
I'd say that SAA's business class product is far superior than BA. Whether it's worth it depends on your preferences.
Old Jul 22, 19, 6:59 am

Programs: BA BD SA
I prefer BA domestically - mainly for the far better catering and better lounges. They do have 2-3 seating but I have always managed to get a seat on the A/C side. The service is always top notch whereas some SA cabin crew can be quite sullen IME.

If you're fine with Y for 2 hours (i.e. don't have special reasons for wanting J - like more leg or shoulder room, more cabin baggage allowance, etc.) then it's really up to you to weigh the difference in cost against the improved experience. If you have status to give you perks like lounge access, that will also affect the value proposition.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Jul 23, 19, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex AA EXP
Originally Posted by evanb View Post
I'd say that SAA's business class product is far superior than BA. Whether it's worth it depends on your preferences.
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA View Post
I prefer BA domestically - mainly for the far better catering and better lounges. They do have 2-3 seating but I have always managed to get a seat on the A/C side. The service is always top notch whereas some SA cabin crew can be quite sullen IME.

If you're fine with Y for 2 hours (i.e. don't have special reasons for wanting J - like more leg or shoulder room, more cabin baggage allowance, etc.) then it's really up to you to weigh the difference in cost against the improved experience. If you have status to give you perks like lounge access, that will also affect the value proposition.
Thank you both! As a UA 1k (Star Alliance Gold), I should have lounge access with SA, right?
Old Jul 25, 19, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Thank you both! As a UA 1k (Star Alliance Gold), I should have lounge access with SA, right?
Yes, absolutely, and while SAA's domestic lounge at JNB isn't quite as good as BA's SLOW Lounge, it's still pretty good and far better than the non-Polaris United clubs.
B747-437B, MarkP24 and cooleddie like this.
Old Jul 25, 19, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evanb View Post
Yes, absolutely, and while SAA's domestic lounge at JNB isn't quite as good as BA's SLOW Lounge, it's still pretty good and far better than the non-Polaris United clubs.
So BA has the better lounge, and SA has the better business class, although its FA's are not as friendly. If I need to take the last flight out as I NEED to be there by 7 AM, which one has better onetime performance, and/ or fewer cancellations?
Old Jul 31, 19, 9:27 pm

Programs: AC*G-E50K (former AC*G-SE100K for 3 yrs)
I should add if you are on a wide body like A330 or A340 in SAA, you get lie flat seating. Because you are star alliance gold, I would recommend SAA. The experience and value you will get is far better than what you get in United. Also the SAA lounge is much nicer than any United lounge.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 10:51 pm

So BA has the better lounge, and SA has the better business class, although its FA's are not as friendly. If I need to take the last flight out as I NEED to be there by 7 AM, which one has better onetime performance, and/ or fewer cancellations?
I should add that South Africa in general has way better on time performance than in the US. Boarding is always ahead of schedule!
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 19, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cooleddie View Post
I should add if you are on a wide body like A330 or A340 in SAA, you get lie flat seating. Because you are star alliance gold, I would recommend SAA. The experience and value you will get is far better than what you get in United. Also the SAA lounge is much nicer than any United lounge.
I should add that South Africa in general has way better on time performance than in the US. Boarding is always ahead of schedule!
Thank you! That's very helpful!
Old Aug 2, 19, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Boarding is always ahead of schedule!
That's pushing it. Even in SA delays and cancelations are not unheard of.

Johan
Old Aug 3, 19, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post

Johan
Yeah might be pushing it... but comparing SA to an airport like LaGuardia or O'Hare, SA is frigging amazing.
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:33 am

Yeah might be pushing it... but comparing SA to an airport like LaGuardia or O'Hare, SA is frigging amazing.
Have you ever been to the JNB domestic terminal on a Friday evening when there's a stormy weather anywhere else in the country that leads to cascading delays?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post

Johan
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
Have you ever been to the JNB domestic terminal on a Friday evening when there's a stormy weather anywhere else in the country that leads to cascading delays?
Sure every country has delays. SA air travel is pretty punctual though. I commute CPT-JNB every 2 weeks and rarely more than 15 mins late.

As someone else mentioned try get a widebody. SA does one flight a day usually with a wide body, AFAIK
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
Sure every country has delays. SA air travel is pretty punctual though. I commute CPT-JNB every 2 weeks and rarely more than 15 mins late.

As someone else mentioned try get a widebody. SA does one flight a day usually with a wide body, AFAIK
Do you know which flight that is?
Old Aug 8, 19, 5:25 pm
Ambassador: Emirates

Programs: Skywards Gold
Do you know which flight that is?
Unfortunately not. I always fly the cheapest (with consideration for schedule) in Y, usually Mango, FlySafair or Kulula
MarkP24 likes this.

Search this Thread