Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA vs. SAA CPT to JNB

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Unfortunately not. I always fly the cheapest (with consideration for schedule) in Y, usually Mango, FlySafair or Kulula
Understood. Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Do you know which flight that is?
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/sa323
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/sa346
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
For domestic flights in South Africa going from JNB to CPT, which is a better business class product, SAA or BA? Also, is business class even worth the incremental difference? Thanks!
The difference in price between business and economy, given the exchange rates, often isn't that much. We tend to purchase business seats when we fly that route, which is nearly every year. They also tend to be easy redemptions - even in the South African summer.

SAA generally has the better seat product, especially if you get a widebody. They also have a better schedule, in the case that you need to make a change. I don't care much for the catering on either. Unlike others, I find the FAs to be about the same - and much like North America, hit or miss.

Thank you both! As a UA 1k (Star Alliance Gold), I should have lounge access with SA, right?
As a UA*G, you get the SA lounge even in Y.

Originally Posted by evanb
Yes, absolutely, and while SAA's domestic lounge at JNB isn't quite as good as BA's SLOW Lounge, it's still pretty good and far better than the non-Polaris United clubs.
Originally Posted by cooleddie
I should add if you are on a wide body like A330 or A340 in SAA, you get lie flat seating. Because you are star alliance gold, I would recommend SAA. The experience and value you will get is far better than what you get in United. Also the SAA lounge is much nicer than any United lounge.
I completely disagree that the SAA lounges are nicer than any United Club. Better than LHR? Not a chance. Better than LAX? Nah. Better than the refurbished ORD clubs? Negative. Now, compared to the trash they offer at IAD - sure. Mostly, however, I find the newer UCs nicer than SAA lounges.

The SLOW Lounges are excellent though. The giant wheel of cheese alone makes it nice.

So BA has the better lounge, and SA has the better business class, although its FA's are not as friendly. If I need to take the last flight out as I NEED to be there by 7 AM, which one has better onetime performance, and/ or fewer cancellations?
SA has the better schedule. Both are very punctual.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N1120A
The difference in price between business and economy, given the exchange rates, often isn't that much. We tend to purchase business seats when we fly that route, which is nearly every year. They also tend to be easy redemptions - even in the South African summer.

SAA generally has the better seat product, especially if you get a widebody. They also have a better schedule, in the case that you need to make a change. I don't care much for the catering on either. Unlike others, I find the FAs to be about the same - and much like North America, hit or miss.

As a UA*G, you get the SA lounge even in Y.

I completely disagree that the SAA lounges are nicer than any United Club. Better than LHR? Not a chance. Better than LAX? Nah. Better than the refurbished ORD clubs? Negative. Now, compared to the trash they offer at IAD - sure. Mostly, however, I find the newer UCs nicer than SAA lounges.

The SLOW Lounges are excellent though. The giant wheel of cheese alone makes it nice.

SA has the better schedule. Both are very punctual.
Thanks! This is helpful!
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by N1120A
I completely disagree that the SAA lounges are nicer than any United Club. Better than LHR? Not a chance. Better than LAX? Nah. Better than the refurbished ORD clubs? Negative. Now, compared to the trash they offer at IAD - sure. Mostly, however, I find the newer UCs nicer than SAA lounges..
I never said that SAA lounges are better than any United Club. I said that the JNB domestic lounge (SAA VIA) is better than the non-Polaris United lounges. Other SAA lounges are dated. I still stand by that. For one, it has a barista making coffee, not a machine, 2) a fairly extensive bar which far exceed United Clubs in terms of wine, 3) a nice variety of food, 4) it has great views, comfy furniture and isn't anywhere nearly as over crowded as United Clubs are. What's missing?
cooleddie likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by evanb
I never said that SAA lounges are better than any United Club. I said that the JNB domestic lounge (SAA VIA) is better than the non-Polaris United lounges. Other SAA lounges are dated. I still stand by that. For one, it has a barista making coffee, not a machine, 2) a fairly extensive bar which far exceed United Clubs in terms of wine, 3) a nice variety of food, 4) it has great views, comfy furniture and isn't anywhere nearly as over crowded as United Clubs are. What's missing?

Agreed. SAA domestic is way better than United domestic. In almost every way
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
You still have free food and booze in economy class! Hot food service during dinner!
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cooleddie
You still have free food and booze in economy class! Hot food service during dinner!
We don't have that on most routes in the U.S. in economy. Very impressive!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.