Johannesburg to Nampula

Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Johannesburg to Nampula

I plan to fly SA 8230 and 8231 between JNB and Nampula, Mozambique, this July. I'd like to know whether those flights tend to run on time. However, when I look on the various sites out there (FlightStats, FlightRadar, etc) they never seem to have any information about the flight. It's there, but always leaving and arriving exactly on time. Can anyone tell me why that is? Can anyone tell me if it tends to operate on time?

(And maybe tell me this: Any concerns with having 2.5 hours to transfer from that flight to the JNB-FRA flight? I'm a little nervous only because they are separate itineraries, so if the first flight goes wonky, it's going to be tough to adapt.)
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Those flights are operated by AirLink. I'm having similar problems trying to find punctuality stats for their flights to Nosy Be - they just don't seem to be tracked. I have a similar connection concern but mine is to a domestic flight so not quite such a train smash if the inbound flight is delayed.

Will you have to clear immigration and customs to collect luggage? If not (i.e. you have hand luggage only) you should be fine. You should even be fine if you do have to - but with less wiggle room if the inbound flight is delayed by more than, say, 45 minutes.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: BA BD SA
In desperation for information on flights from Nosy Be I looked at the active flight info on the Flysaa and ACSA websites on Sunday. (The flights to and from NOS are only on Sundays.)

The Flysaa site was useless and only indicated that the flight was "open for Check-in". No arrival time even well after the event.

The ACSA web site does not recognise NOS as a departure point! Luckily the flight stops in Beira en route and the site does recognise BEW. It showed the flight arriving over an hour early! I'm wondering how this is possible. Could it be that it didn't do the BEW stop?

Belatedly, I now discover that there is data on the Airportia.com site. The information contradicts the ACSA web site information and shows Sunday's flight as landing 6 minutes early. For the other dates information is spotty (lots of gaps). There is no clear pattern but the flights are more often early (as much as 45 minutes) than late. Of the 2 delays shown one was less than 20 minutes; the other was almost 3.5 hours! This seems to be a textbook example of YMMV...
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Another question about this route: What should I expect for luggage? I’ll be traveling with one normal-sized backpack, plus one cabin-sized suitcase. Yet I understand this is a small plane. Will they “gate check” the suitcase for me? And will they make me measure or otherwise care about my backpack?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.