SAA to lease 2 A350-900s for JNB-JFK route

Old Jul 2, 19, 11:46 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5
SAA to lease 2 A350-900s for JNB-JFK route

Per World Airline News (I'm unable to link in this post), 2 A350-900s will be arriving in the second half of this year, 30 business class seats, 246 economy.

SAA has not said where they're leasing them from, but might be Hainan, according to @schallies2 on Twitter?
motthew is offline  
Old Aug 15, 19, 6:42 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: FLL
Programs: AY+ Gold
Posts: 109
Any further news on this? I' haven't seen anything anywhere. I have an upcoming flight JFK-JNB in early September and it's showing the 340-600.

Thanks!
petteriusa is offline  
Old Aug 15, 19, 9:44 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5
I haven't come across much information, but from what I gather from @Darren_olivier and @simonswanich on Twitter: Delivery is expected in September, with JFK flights commencing the first week of November.
petteriusa likes this.
motthew is offline  
Old Aug 29, 19, 11:00 am
  #4  
Formerly known as scootr29
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 621
Originally Posted by motthew View Post
I haven't come across much information, but from what I gather from @Darren_olivier and @simonswanich on Twitter: Delivery is expected in September, with JFK flights commencing the first week of November.
Wish they were on they IAD - JNB route....
SSF556 is offline  
Old Aug 29, 19, 11:30 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
Wish they were on they IAD - JNB route....
IAD-JNB at least has the new A330s, right? I wonder if a growing A350 fleet could allow for a non-stop IAD-JNB (if there's enough demand to support that).
motthew is offline  
Old Aug 30, 19, 7:04 am
  #6  
Formerly known as scootr29
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 621
Originally Posted by motthew View Post
IAD-JNB at least has the new A330s, right? I wonder if a growing A350 fleet could allow for a non-stop IAD-JNB (if there's enough demand to support that).
Yes which is a plus....but the the overall experience is much better with the A350.
SSF556 is offline  
Old Aug 30, 19, 7:16 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N/A
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Posts: 425
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
Yes which is a plus....but the the overall experience is much better with the A350.
How so? We have no idea of the seats and IFE and configuration on the A350s yet, so it's impossible to say. There has been much speculation and confusing information from SAA themselves on it, so I don't think one can say yet.
evanb is offline  
Old Aug 30, 19, 7:17 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N/A
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Posts: 425
Originally Posted by motthew View Post
IAD-JNB at least has the new A330s, right? I wonder if a growing A350 fleet could allow for a non-stop IAD-JNB (if there's enough demand to support that).
Absolutely the A350 could do IAD-JNB non-stop, but I don't see it happening since the route is as much about the JNB-ACC and ACC-IAD legs for SAA.
evanb is offline  
Old Aug 30, 19, 7:41 am
  #9  
Formerly known as scootr29
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 621
Originally Posted by evanb View Post
Absolutely the A350 could do IAD-JNB non-stop, but I don't see it happening since the route is as much about the JNB-ACC and ACC-IAD legs for SAA.
The A350 can stop in ACC just like an A330
SSF556 is offline  
Old Aug 30, 19, 8:20 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N/A
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Posts: 425
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
The A350 can stop in ACC just like an A330
Sure it can, but they'll place the A350 on longer non-stop segments first where it's payload would be more useful and it's lower fuel burn more advantageous. So, JNB-JFK, JNB-HKG, JNB-CAN (starting next year) will all come first, and even then, the remaining A340-600 routes like JNB-FRA after that. JNB-ACC-IAD is fairly far down the list for SAA to place the A350.
evanb is offline  
Old Aug 30, 19, 11:39 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Exile
Posts: 14,729
Originally Posted by evanb View Post
There has been much speculation and confusing information from SAA themselves on it, so I don't think one can say yet.
Just curious what information SAA themselves have put out that is confusing?

To my knowledge, SAA's only public statement has been to announce that 2 airframes would be coming at the end of September and would be deployed to JFK in the W19 schedule period. Nothing more, nothing less.

The media has speculated wildly as to where these 2 frames are coming from, whether additional frames are coming, what will happen to the A340s, etc... but SAA has remained silent on all of these.
B747-437B is offline  
Old Sep 3, 19, 10:24 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N/A
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Posts: 425
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
Just curious what information SAA themselves have put out that is confusing?

To my knowledge, SAA's only public statement has been to announce that 2 airframes would be coming at the end of September and would be deployed to JFK in the W19 schedule period. Nothing more, nothing less.

The media has speculated wildly as to where these 2 frames are coming from, whether additional frames are coming, what will happen to the A340s, etc... but SAA has remained silent on all of these.
The SAA press statement indicates that the aircraft will offer business and economy class, doesn't indicate the number of business class seats, but indicates the number of economy seats at 246. I think it's confusing that an airline puts out a press statement indicating the number of economy seats, but not the number of business class seats.

Furthermore, it indicated that the lease was going to be three years. Given that these aircraft could only be coming from MK (C28Y298), HU/HX (C33Y301) or JJ (C30Y318, although sometimes incorrectly described as
C30W63Y246), it's confusing since it seems as though they may have even gotten the number of economy seats wrong in the press statement.
evanb is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 5:28 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Exile
Posts: 14,729
Looks like registrations have been allocated for the first 2 A350-900s.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/n...ines-a350-900s

According to a Department of Transport filing on August 30, SAA will add ZS-SDC (msn 226) and ZS-SDD (msn 245) which are currently in service for Hainan Airlines (HU, Haikou) as B-304Z and B-305A respectively.
B747-437B is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 7:05 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Slightly to the left of center
Posts: 3,443
Write up in Sawubona

https://saasawubona.com/saa-adds-new...-to-its-fleet/
DBCme is offline  
Old Sep 4, 19, 1:56 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Posts: 676
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
Looks like registrations have been allocated for the first 2 A350-900s.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/n...ines-a350-900s

According to a Department of Transport filing on August 30, SAA will add ZS-SDC (msn 226) and ZS-SDD (msn 245) which are currently in service for Hainan Airlines (HU, Haikou) as B-304Z and B-305A respectively.
I believe the regs were known a few months back. but I guess a filing confirms it :https://onemileatatime.com/south-african-airways-a350/
kq747 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread