Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

Missing a flight after winning StepUp upgrade!

Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Hello All,

I was flying home from Madagascar to London on my birthday last year and decided to try and upgrade the JNB-LHR leg of my journey. Put in a bid of GBP800 and won a Business Class upgrade as part of South African Airways' Step Up program.

As a parting birthday gift, I got food poisoning in Madagascar (a sadly frequent occurrence in this part of the world). SAA were no help at all on the phone: turns out that although you have paid for a Business Class seat, you are not purchasing the Business Class ticket flexibility. I had to pay a change fee to switch to an Economy seat on a flight later that week, once I had recovered! They would not allow me to switch to a later Business Class journey or get a refund or airline credit.

Anyone have any experience of getting refunds / credit out of SAA in a situation like this? Was a crappy birthday gift to pay about GBP1000 extra for the same economy seat I was going to get in the first place!

Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ozymandias24
Hello All,

I was flying home from Madagascar to London on my birthday last year and decided to try and upgrade the JNB-LHR leg of my journey. Put in a bid of GBP800 and won a Business Class upgrade as part of South African Airways' Step Up program.

As a parting birthday gift, I got food poisoning in Madagascar (a sadly frequent occurrence in this part of the world). SAA were no help at all on the phone: turns out that although you have paid for a Business Class seat, you are not purchasing the Business Class ticket flexibility. I had to pay a change fee to switch to an Economy seat on a flight later that week, once I had recovered! They would not allow me to switch to a later Business Class journey or get a refund or airline credit.

Anyone have any experience of getting refunds / credit out of SAA in a situation like this? Was a crappy birthday gift to pay about GBP1000 extra for the same economy seat I was going to get in the first place!

Cheers.
Sorry to hear about your food poisoning and missed flight. Unfortunately the terms and conditions and the FAQs on the StepUp info page (https://www.flysaa.com/plan-book/add...e-with-step-up) state no refunds or exchanges so pretty much a use it or lose it situation. One for travel insurance I suspect.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.