Wiki Posts
Search

Does SAA fly from Senegal to JNB?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
Does SAA fly from Senegal to JNB?

I'm trying to be creative in lowering the number of miles I need from the East Coast to our final destination: Madagascar.

I was thinking of using Virgin Atlantic miles to fly the SAA208 flight from IAD to DSS, stopover for at least 24 hours, and then fly from DSS to JNB to TNR. Unfortunately, when I try to search for routings from DSS to JNB, I'm getting crazy 19-hour flights with 4 layovers / stopovers with various airlines. Is it not possible to fly direct from DSS to JNB?

I thought that there's a technical stop between IAD to JNB for flight SAA 208, where it stops at Dakar for refueling.

Many thanks for your insight!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
The DSS-JNB flight is only on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:40 am

Earlier this year, I had to get from Dakar to Capetown. It was faster/easier for me to fly back to Europe and then to Capetown, rather than trying to go through Africa. JNB has more options, but still not many (as noted, the SSA flight is only a few days a week), so, I can easily believe that you're not finding anything.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
Originally Posted by joejones
The DSS-JNB flight is only on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Aha! That's the missing piece I needed to know. Thanks a lot Joe!

Originally Posted by frontenac551
Earlier this year, I had to get from Dakar to Capetown. It was faster/easier for me to fly back to Europe and then to Capetown, rather than trying to go through Africa. JNB has more options, but still not many (as noted, the SSA flight is only a few days a week), so, I can easily believe that you're not finding anything.
Gotcha! I might need to rethink my plan and try a different route instead.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Adding to what people have already said, because the flight is sold as three separate segments (i.e. JNB-IAD-JNB, JNB-DDS-JNB and DDS-IAD-DDS) the capacity is managed manually. As a result it can sometimes be difficult getting decent business class reward capacity on the JNB-DDS-JNB legs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.