Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

Middle name misspelled--will this be an issue

Old May 30, 2018, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Hi, somehow I managed to transpose two letters in the spelling of my name on a domestic South African flight. I called SAA to try and correct it, but they said that the only recourse was to cancel the ticket and buy a new one...but that I shouldn't worry, as no one would care at the airport.

Does anyone else have any insight on this? Should I try another representative to see if they can make the minor middle name correction?
Old May 30, 2018, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It will not be a problem. Nobody cares about middle names.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by bquinif
Hi, somehow I managed to transpose two letters in the spelling of my name on a domestic South African flight. I called SAA to try and correct it, but they said that the only recourse was to cancel the ticket and buy a new one...but that I shouldn't worry, as no one would care at the airport.

Does anyone else have any insight on this? Should I try another representative to see if they can make the minor middle name correction?
Is this an international flight, and which destination?
Old May 30, 2018, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Domestic: entirely within South Africa. I have a separate intl ticket with them with the correct spelling.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:04 am

Using SAA as a reference point (I'll admit, that's a bit funny nowadays), my and my family member's recent BP's do not contain middle names (or middle initials for that matter) for intra-SA travel on SAA. This is for ticketed travel where international and SA domestic travel was included on the same reservation/ticket and in another case when it was not.

Indeed, in the case of two of the pax that I recently traveled with (a father and son) who had the same first middle and last name and only Jnr/Snr-type suffixes in their ticketed reservation, the BPs did not specify the suffix - so it looked as if the same pax had two duplicate BPs (albeit for different seats and with different ticket numbers/FF#s on the BPs).

In short, I don't think it will be a problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.