Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

SA Civil Aviation Authority Suspends SA Express Operating Permits

Old May 24, 2018, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Major major disruptions foreseen for domestic flying in SA for the near future.

MEDIA STATEMENT 24 May 2018

The South African Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA) has suspended SA Express‟s Air Operator's Certificate (AoC) as well as the airline‟s Aircraft Maintenance Organisation (AMO) approvals. In addition, the SACAA has also suspended the Certificates of Airworthiness (CoA) of nine (9) of the twenty-one (21) aircraft being operated by the airline.

This effectively means that as of today, i.e. Thursday, 24 May 2018, SA Express PTY (SOC) can no longer continue to operate as an airline. In order to be able to operate, SA Express will have to reapply and be issued with relevant approvals, i.e. an air operating certificate, and an approval for the aircraft maintenance organisation, and certificates of airworthiness for the grounded aircraft.

While the SACAA does not make the details of its audit findings public; it can, however, be revealed that there were seventeen (17) findings, of which five (5) are categorised as Level 1 findings in civil aviation terms. A Level 1 category finding can be described as a ‘severe non-compliance or non-conformance that poses a very serious safety or security risk to the public and will necessitate the immediate exercising of the discretionary enforcement powers vested in the authorised persons, in the interests of safeguarding aviation safety or security’.
FULL STATEMENT FROM SACAA (PDF)
Old May 24, 2018, 6:55 am

Thanks for sharing this.

I'm glad to see this happening. Sent an email regarding operational concerns...a week has passed, no one bothers replying. Probably same service standards as SAA. None.

Small note: SA Express also serves regional/international cities as well on their regional aircraft.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Was it FlySafair who is trying to buy Airlink or Express right now, good time to sell them off.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Was it FlySafair who is trying to buy Airlink or Express right now, good time to sell them off.
Airlink buying Safair. Airlink and Express are different operations, entities and ownership.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by evanb
Airlink buying Safair. Airlink and Express are different operations, entities and ownership.
Ah thats it, i knew they were separate but wasn't sure who was trying to buy who? Safair have been very successful, doubt they will sell.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Flame3601
Ah thats it, i knew they were separate but wasn't sure who was trying to buy who? Safair have been very successful, doubt they will sell.
Um, but they did sell to Airlink. The deal has been held up by the Competition Commission. Will still probably happen.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plans to merge SAA, SAX, Mango announced

"Steps are being taken to merge South African Airways, SA Express and Mango, Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan said during a media briefing ... today"

Source

Johan
Old May 25, 2018, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by evanb
I HAVE A FLIGHT ON South African Airways 8865 operated by South African Airlink in August. I should be OK?? I also have a flight on SAA from JNB-GRU (San Paulo) in August. With all the talk on the financial stability of SAA I hope there are no issues with SAA still operating??
Old May 25, 2018, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by BF263533
I HAVE A FLIGHT ON South African Airways 8865 operated by South African Airlink in August. I should be OK?? I also have a flight on SAA from JNB-GRU (San Paulo) in August. With all the talk on the financial stability of SAA I hope there are no issues with SAA still operating??
You should be alright, my biggest fear would be GRU being cut to save money but i doubt that would happen before you fly. I would maybe take out some airline liquidation insurance thou, but as long as people in SA still pay tax then you should be alright as they will just keep bailing them out of debt.
Old May 25, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta DM
So my wife and I are supposed to be flying from Cape Town to Hoedspruit on the 6th of June and returning on the 10th. I'm not holding my breath in hopes the issues will be fixed by then. Can anyone help with suggestions as to what to do? I called the USA 1-800 number for SAA and they said because I booked online I need to talk to them in South Africa. I sent a couple emails yesterday and have yet to hear back. Help!!!

OPS
Old May 25, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BF263533
I HAVE A FLIGHT ON South African Airways 8865 operated by South African Airlink
The airline under discussion is SA Express.

Airlink is a completely different, privately owned and well-run airline. (It is registered under the name SA Airlink Ltd., but trades simply as Airlink). As opposed to SAA and SAX, it is not managed by corrupt plundering crook.

Johan
Old May 25, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattya9
So my wife and I are supposed to be flying from Cape Town to Hoedspruit on the 6th of June and returning on the 10th.
Better keep your fingers crossed.

So far, CPT-HDS flights are still operating.

Today's flight was operated by Airlink using an RJ-85.

Johzn
Old May 26, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: AC SE
How can you know if a flight is with SA Express vs SAA? I'm assuming they have four-digit flight numbers of something and that flights operating by SAA's own fleet have 2- or 3-digit numbers?
Old May 26, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
How can you know if a flight is with SA Express vs SAA? I'm assuming they have four-digit flight numbers of something and that flights operating by SAA's own fleet have 2- or 3-digit numbers?
SAA is SA 0-999 (3000s for unscheduled, 4000s for ferries and technical and 9000s for flights delated into following day)
SA Express is SA 1000-1999
Airlink is 8000-8999
Old May 30, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SAA releases schedule to sustain SAX network

Right here.

Johan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.