Help Me Have the Best SA 235 Experience

Old May 23, 18, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC S100K
Help Me Have the Best SA 235 Experience

I'll be flying SA 235 next week (LHR to JNB) in the business class cabin. This will be my first SAA experience and I'm rather looking forward to it. I'm Star Alliance Gold with high status on Air Canada (who will be getting me from Canada to LHR) so I'm pretty accustomed to business class, but always enjoy trying it on new airlines. I guess I'm pretty easily impressed.

Anyway, I'm wondering what you'd recommend to get the most out of my flight.

What's the best bet for a lounge at LHR and preferably one with showers since I'll have spent the day wandering London?

Is there a solid arrivals lounge in JNB that I can use to shower and freshen up after landing (I will have about 3 hours before onward travel to my next destination so hope not to leave the secure area)?

What meals do they serve aboard, when, and what food option do you recommend? (I'm assuming they serve dinner immediately after takeoff and serve breakfast shortly before landing).

Any other tips are much appreciated.

(I'm flying AC 236 home a week later and assume the food will be about the same—dinner after takeoff and breakfast before landing?)

Last edited by TheCanuckian; May 23, 18 at 8:37 am
Old May 26, 18, 3:56 am

Programs: SAA Voyager Plat, Diners Club Prive, Amex Plat, Avis Presidents Club
LHR Lounge. I would go Singapore, as you no doubt familiar with Air Canada lounges

Onboard I would take a row 9 seat - most feet room. Out of London they also usually offer Beef Cheeks, its delish.

You dont say where your onward destination is, if in SA you will need to clear immigration and customs, before rechecking your bag at the domestic transfer desks you can use the arrivals lounge. If international departure on star alliance you will be able to use the SAA departures lounge
Old May 26, 18, 9:49 am

Programs: AC*G-E50K (former AC*G-SE100K for 3 yrs)
I personally like the united lounge in London mixed with the ac lounge. You can lounge hop, no issues. Ac lounge is good for napping.

Consider coming out of the airport and going to central London when you are transmitting in lhr. All you need is a boarding pass and passport. You can use the united arrivals lounge for a shower, head to town for lunch, and return.

On board, you will have a full dinner and full breakfast. Try amarula drink, or dry lemon or grapetizer.

On arrival, there is an arrivals lounge with shower but no windows and poor air conditioning. But since you are connecting you can use the SAA VIA domestic lounge in the domestic terminal which is far better than AC domestic or transborder, or international lounge for intl flights which are comparable or better than AC lounges in Canada. They all have showers.
Old May 27, 18, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC S100K
Thanks to you both. That’s very helpful.

Search this Thread