Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

Newbie has basic questions/ NYC to Capetown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Trying to figure out the best way to get from NYC to Capetown in early 2019. Looking at several airline choices. SAA is the cheapest. Would be flying economy from JFK through Johannasberg. Seat selection 48 hours prior to flight (would this be a huge mistake?) No mileage loyalty on any airline. Other airlines route through Dubai or London. Any thoughts on the best flights for this route? Is there a reason SAA is cheaper than the others?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by Joyce15
Trying to figure out the best way to get from NYC to Capetown in early 2019. Looking at several airline choices. SAA is the cheapest. Would be flying economy from JFK through Johannasberg. Seat selection 48 hours prior to flight (would this be a huge mistake?) No mileage loyalty on any airline. Other airlines route through Dubai or London. Any thoughts on the best flights for this route? Is there a reason SAA is cheaper than the others?
Significantly shorter flight time on SAA. 19 hours including connections on SAA, 25 hours on Emirates and 22 on BA. That said, I'm surprised SAA is cheaper since they usually apply a decent premium for the nonstop JFK flight,
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Joyce15
What is your criteria for best?
  • Price
  • Total flight time
  • Departure & arrival time
  • Frequent flyer earning ? (SAA is Star Alliance)
  • Seat allocation

Capetown as the destination limits your choices.
More airlines to JNB and then a separate ticket to Capetown is another option
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Capetown as the destination limits your choices.

More airlines to JNB and then a separate ticket to Capetown is another option
While indeed there are more airlines that fly to JNB, there are also so many that fly to CPT which OP can use with a single connection - AF,BA,KL,LH,QR,EK to name a few, I would personally avoid JNB is there is no good reason to connect there, and even more so on separate tickets.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
So many smoother places to connect then JNB, JNB isn't bad but not the best. My favourite is Dubai or Doha, plus would SAA still be around in 2019 ?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions! Turns out that SAA is not the cheapest, just the shortest. Lots of choices. BA might be our best bet right now.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: UA *Gold
I think Kenya Airways is initiating a JFK-NBO nonstop. Maybe connect to CPT from NBO? KQ prices are really good in J.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Just to follow up...ended up finding a great fare (almost half the cost of SAA) on Delta/KLM through Amsterdam. Longer flight, but so much cheaper, and we tend to accumulate Delta miles. Flight home is good as we are leaving out of Cape town and would have to connect on any airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.