Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

mediocre business class catering on domestic routes

mediocre business class catering on domestic routes

Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thumbs down mediocre business class catering on domestic routes

I've flown SA a few dozen times over the last few years and have usually been reasonably satisfied, but was shocked how mediocre the catering was on a recent JNB-CPT flight in business class:

After about 45min into the flight I was presented with the following "lunch":

- a tiny, soggy bread roll
- a cheap, processed slice of ham and cheddar
- a few tasteless pieces of fruit

Most airlines would be ashamed to serve that in economy class, let alone business class.

But oh well, I figured I could at least enjoy a glass of champagne or wine. Wrong.

Apparently SA has introduced a (new?) policy whereby it only serves alcoholic beverages on afternoon and evening flights. Or to be more precise: on flights with a scheduled departure time after 11a.m.

I could sort of see the point of not serving hard liquor in the early morning, but refusing to serve a glass of wine with "lunch" at 12p.m. ?!?

Without exaggerating, this was the most mediocre business class catering I've experienced during my last few hundred flights.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I remember the days when they would serve a full hot dinner on BFN-JNB flights. Flying time not even one hour.

Johan
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I remember the days when they would serve a full hot dinner on BFN-JNB flights. Flying time not even one hour.

Johan
Well, the sad part is that such service didn't only exist "in the good old days".

It's only 3-4 years ago that I received a hot dinner on DUR-JNB (which is ~10min longer).

I didn't even necessarily expect a hot meal, but something that would at least be comparable to a wrapped sandwich you'd find in many airport news stands.

And the lack of a proper drinks service on a ~2h flight is just inexcusable IMHO.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Yes it is truly dreadful, I have left SAA for good and now fly BA/Comair domestically and boy oh boy what a delight !
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:48 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Interesting. I recently flew JNB-CPT and CPT-JNB in the afternoon and was pleasantly surprised by the hot meals on both flights though beef served on JNB-CPT (the first photo) was a little tough.
Attached Images   
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Interesting. I recently flew JNB-CPT and CPT-JNB in the afternoon and was pleasantly surprised by the hot meals on both flights though beef served on JNB-CPT (the first photo) was a little tough.
Just out of curiousity: What time did your flights depart?

Food and drinks have generally been reasonably good on dinner flights - it's just the late morning / lunch flights where catering has been absolutely mediocre IME.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:04 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Just out of curiousity: What time did your flights depart?

Food and drinks have generally been reasonably good on dinner flights - it's just the late morning / lunch flights where catering has been absolutely mediocre IME.
Not exactly dinner flights.
JNB-CPT 13:55 departure
CPT-JNB 16:45 departure
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I've flown SA a few dozen times over the last few years and have usually been reasonably satisfied, but was shocked how mediocre the catering was on a recent JNB-CPT flight in business class:

After about 45min into the flight I was presented with the following "lunch":

- a tiny, soggy bread roll
- a cheap, processed slice of ham and cheddar
- a few tasteless pieces of fruit

Most airlines would be ashamed to serve that in economy class, let alone business class.

But oh well, I figured I could at least enjoy a glass of champagne or wine. Wrong.

Apparently SA has introduced a (new?) policy whereby it only serves alcoholic beverages on afternoon and evening flights. Or to be more precise: on flights with a scheduled departure time after 11a.m.

I could sort of see the point of not serving hard liquor in the early morning, but refusing to serve a glass of wine with "lunch" at 12p.m. ?!?

Without exaggerating, this was the most mediocre business class catering I've experienced during my last few hundred flights.
For 2 hour flight still better food than Air Canada (imo)
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cooleddie
For 2 hour flight still better food than Air Canada (imo)
Hm, I would have to strongly disagree with that.

You get a small salad, a choice between two proper hot main courses and a dessert on 2h long flights in AC business class. Along with a full bar service any time of the day.

I don't see how a tiny, soggy role with a slice of processed ham and cheese along with a limited selection of non-alcoholic drinks is better than that.

(On afternoon/evening flights, SA is slightly better than AC IMO, but SA's late morning / lunch offering is just pathetic IMO).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.