FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South African Airways | Voyager (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-african-airways-voyager-752/)
-   -   mediocre business class catering on domestic routes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-african-airways-voyager/1886274-mediocre-business-class-catering-domestic-routes.html)

Jasper2009 Jan 4, 2018 9:53 am

mediocre business class catering on domestic routes

I've flown SA a few dozen times over the last few years and have usually been reasonably satisfied, but was shocked how mediocre the catering was on a recent JNB-CPT flight in business class:

After about 45min into the flight I was presented with the following "lunch":

- a tiny, soggy bread roll
- a cheap, processed slice of ham and cheddar
- a few tasteless pieces of fruit

Most airlines would be ashamed to serve that in economy class, let alone business class.

But oh well, I figured I could at least enjoy a glass of champagne or wine. Wrong.

Apparently SA has introduced a (new?) policy whereby it only serves alcoholic beverages on afternoon and evening flights. Or to be more precise: on flights with a scheduled departure time after 11a.m.

I could sort of see the point of not serving hard liquor in the early morning, but refusing to serve a glass of wine with "lunch" at 12p.m. ?!?

Without exaggerating, this was the most mediocre business class catering I've experienced during my last few hundred flights.

johan rebel Jan 6, 2018 10:12 am

I remember the days when they would serve a full hot dinner on BFN-JNB flights. Flying time not even one hour.

Johan

Jasper2009 Jan 6, 2018 11:07 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 29257889)
I remember the days when they would serve a full hot dinner on BFN-JNB flights. Flying time not even one hour.

Johan

Well, the sad part is that such service didn't only exist "in the good old days".

It's only 3-4 years ago that I received a hot dinner on DUR-JNB (which is ~10min longer).

I didn't even necessarily expect a hot meal, but something that would at least be comparable to a wrapped sandwich you'd find in many airport news stands.

And the lack of a proper drinks service on a ~2h flight is just inexcusable IMHO.

Flame3601 Jan 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Yes it is truly dreadful, I have left SAA for good and now fly BA/Comair domestically and boy oh boy what a delight !

NewbieRunner Jan 4, 2019 1:48 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Interesting. I recently flew JNB-CPT and CPT-JNB in the afternoon and was pleasantly surprised by the hot meals on both flights though beef served on JNB-CPT (the first photo) was a little tough.

Jasper2009 Jan 4, 2019 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 30610351)
Interesting. I recently flew JNB-CPT and CPT-JNB in the afternoon and was pleasantly surprised by the hot meals on both flights though beef served on JNB-CPT (the first photo) was a little tough.

Just out of curiousity: What time did your flights depart?

Food and drinks have generally been reasonably good on dinner flights - it's just the late morning / lunch flights where catering has been absolutely mediocre IME.

NewbieRunner Jan 4, 2019 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 30610622)
Just out of curiousity: What time did your flights depart?

Food and drinks have generally been reasonably good on dinner flights - it's just the late morning / lunch flights where catering has been absolutely mediocre IME.

Not exactly dinner flights.
JNB-CPT 13:55 departure
CPT-JNB 16:45 departure

cooleddie Jan 5, 2019 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 29249439)
I've flown SA a few dozen times over the last few years and have usually been reasonably satisfied, but was shocked how mediocre the catering was on a recent JNB-CPT flight in business class:

After about 45min into the flight I was presented with the following "lunch":

- a tiny, soggy bread roll
- a cheap, processed slice of ham and cheddar
- a few tasteless pieces of fruit

Most airlines would be ashamed to serve that in economy class, let alone business class.

But oh well, I figured I could at least enjoy a glass of champagne or wine. Wrong.

Apparently SA has introduced a (new?) policy whereby it only serves alcoholic beverages on afternoon and evening flights. Or to be more precise: on flights with a scheduled departure time after 11a.m.

I could sort of see the point of not serving hard liquor in the early morning, but refusing to serve a glass of wine with "lunch" at 12p.m. ?!?

Without exaggerating, this was the most mediocre business class catering I've experienced during my last few hundred flights.

For 2 hour flight still better food than Air Canada (imo)

Jasper2009 Jan 5, 2019 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by cooleddie (Post 30614394)
For 2 hour flight still better food than Air Canada (imo)

Hm, I would have to strongly disagree with that.

You get a small salad, a choice between two proper hot main courses and a dessert on 2h long flights in AC business class. Along with a full bar service any time of the day.

I don't see how a tiny, soggy role with a slice of processed ham and cheese along with a limited selection of non-alcoholic drinks is better than that.

(On afternoon/evening flights, SA is slightly better than AC IMO, but SA's late morning / lunch offering is just pathetic IMO).