Service on the Airbus 340-600

Old Nov 18, 17, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE75, SPG Gold
Service on the Airbus 340-600

I will travel in January 2018 on the SAA business class service from Munich to Joburg and realized that there have not been any recent reviews of this route or of any additional routes with the Airbus 340-600. Based on several You Tube reviews of this routing, it has not received glorious reviews recently. It appears that the issue is the pods are very old now and extra padding is required. Any recommendations to resolve this situation, as some reviews stated that the seats were so hard that they were unable to get a comfortable sleep. In-flight service appears to be hit and miss, which can occur on any carrier. Looking for any advice on how to make the best out of this "lackluster" situation?
Old Nov 18, 17, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
Originally Posted by qrctraveller68 View Post
I will travel in January 2018 on the SAA business class service from Munich to Joburg and realized that there have not been any recent reviews of this route or of any additional routes with the Airbus 340-600. Based on several You Tube reviews of this routing, it has not received glorious reviews recently. It appears that the issue is the pods are very old now and extra padding is required. Any recommendations to resolve this situation, as some reviews stated that the seats were so hard that they were unable to get a comfortable sleep. In-flight service appears to be hit and miss, which can occur on any carrier. Looking for any advice on how to make the best out of this "lackluster" situation?
Should of booked LH or gone the EK/QR way ! Go in with low expectation and then you will be happily surprised if anything positive happens...
Old Nov 19, 17, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Based on the Youtube reviews and your response, I will definitely go in with low expectations. Totally my fault, I misunderstood rules by my FF program, Aeroplan, and changed from Swiss to SAA. Realized to late that I didn't need to do so.
Old Nov 28, 17, 9:05 am

Programs: UAL Mileage Plus
I am also flying the 340-600. From JFK - JNB...any NEW thoughts on this? Still same service, same cabin, etc.????
Old Dec 6, 17, 8:49 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer; DL Skymiles; Amex PRG; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by timlarry View Post
I am also flying the 340-600. From JFK - JNB...any NEW thoughts on this? Still same service, same cabin, etc.????
My family just flew SAA JFK to JNB. One in J and the rest in Y. Needless to say, Y is terrible (I just flew SAA Y JNB to FRA). My cousin in J said that the seats were not long enough (he is tall, however) and were not super comfortable. The food was so-so. Service was fine in terms of friendly staff but the physical product itself is showing its age. If you can still change your tickets I would try to route via Europe or Dubai. Heck, Delta even has a flight ATL to JNB and I think their service may be better, although no Star Alliance.
Old Dec 9, 17, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing your most recent experience Vrijburger - as previously mentioned, the change fees are exorbitant to change to another routing for me, so I'm going to have to experience the SAA 340-600. I have heard the padding is horrible, so I have already purchased a lighter blanket, so I will use both SAA's padding and blanket for extra padding. Hopefully, taking a sleeping pill after the meal service will make me sleep for the majority of the flight, that it will be an "okay" experience. Definitely going in with extremely low expectations. I will definitely share my experience once my flight is complete on Jan 2.
Old Dec 9, 17, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
I've taken a bunch of SAA business class flights in the last year. A340-600 JNB-JFK-JNB twice, and A340-300 JNB-LHR-JNB twice. I think people are making it out to be a bad experience, while certainly not a top-end product it was pretty decent for sleeping. They have mattresses on-board to make sleeping more comfortable. It is certainly a better on-board product than BA or UA if that's a point of reference.
Old Dec 10, 17, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for letting me know this evan. You are the first person to provide a decent review. Interesting for you to say it's a better on-board product than BA, which I believe is an A-380.
Old Dec 10, 17, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by qrctraveller68 View Post
Thanks for letting me know this evan. You are the first person to provide a decent review. Interesting for you to say it's a better on-board product than BA, which I believe is an A-380.
Yes, JNB is A380 while CPT is B747 (occasional B777). The BA business class seat is horrible and the in-board product mediocre. SA's might be old, but still better IMHO.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Feb 22, 18, 9:30 am

The flight should have completed now, hope your experience with SAA was a positive one? Do share any ideas for improvement.

Search this Thread