No response to written complaint

Old Oct 17, 17, 7:31 am
Original Poster

No response to written complaint

1K Premier on United, flew SAA a few months ago. There were some major issues, including no workable headsets for the 18 hrs flight and FA flipping out and being verbally abusive. We emailed a complaint letter to SAA, but after the automatic acknowledgement (30 days for response, 60 if investigation required), have never received a reply. Nobody answers at the US customer service phone line.
Is there any other recourse, e.g. contacting StarAlliance or United, or filing a complaint with the FAA? Or do we just forget it? Sounds like SAA has more problems than dealing with one or two upset passengers.
Old Oct 17, 17, 9:44 pm

deleted

Last edited by SvenAge; Oct 25, 17 at 6:11 pm Reason: deleted
Old Oct 18, 17, 7:44 am
Original Poster

I asked for miles as compensation, and yes, an apology or some response to the FA's behavior.
I'm wondering whether complaining to Star Alliance (United) might have any effect.

To elaborate, while the incompatible headsets were just incompetence, the FAs behavior was completely unacceptable, going beyond rudeness and becoming verbally abusive.
Old Oct 18, 17, 9:02 am

So you have status with United, say SAA gives you some voyager miles, what would you do with them? It's unlikely they will be enough for anything useful...
Old Oct 18, 17, 11:01 am
Company Representative, SAA

Originally Posted by trvl4fun2 View Post
I asked for miles as compensation, and yes, an apology or some response to the FA's behavior.
I'm wondering whether complaining to Star Alliance (United) might have any effect.

To elaborate, while the incompatible headsets were just incompetence, the FAs behavior was completely unacceptable, going beyond rudeness and becoming verbally abusive.
Hello trvl4fun2,

Thank you for choosing South African Airways.

We're sorry to hear of the issues you encountered during your flight, and apologize for the delay in getting you a response. So that we can work to escalate this issue, may we ask that you email a copy of your original complaint (as well as the initial response) to [email protected], with a copy to [email protected]? We will ask our Customer Care team to look out for the correspondence.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for the delay.

Thank you.

South African Airways - North America.
Old Oct 18, 17, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
So you have status with United, say SAA gives you some voyager miles, what would you do with them? It's unlikely they will be enough for anything useful...
I was expecting Mileage Plus miles.

I will see what SAA responds to my resubmission of the complaint.

Last edited by trvl4fun2; Oct 18, 17 at 11:31 am
Old Oct 18, 17, 11:30 am

I was expecting Mileage Plus miles.
I don't think it is a realistic expectation, but do report back if you get them.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 17, 1:38 pm

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
Sad reality....SAA has given up on customer service. Put it simply...if you are lucky enough that the flight experience is going well, just enjoy it.

Just look at social media. SAA has stopped to answer complains where they are at fault. They have lost the first spot in Africa to Ethiopian. SAA customer service is just a disgrace....sad reality....
Old Nov 11, 17, 2:02 am

Auto reply to their email is "...experiencing high volume of queries..." and quotes anywhere from 5-10 days response time. If they fixed the product and service up front, they'd have less to deal with in the back end.
But, this IS SAA, no no expectation of anything changing soon.
Old Nov 11, 17, 2:20 am

5-10 days is not unusual for any airline these days really...
Old Nov 11, 17, 2:59 am

Programs: NZ *G
18 hour flight?????

HELL of a headwind to or from New York/JNB......
Old Nov 12, 17, 11:42 pm

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
18 hour flight?????

HELL of a headwind to or from New York/JNB......
You need to include the stop in Accra or Dakar
Old Nov 13, 17, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by thijsseh View Post
You need to include the stop in Accra or Dakar
The New York flight is non-stop in both directions.
Old May 17, 18, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Flights were from/to IAD via Accra/Dakar respectively.
And to follow up: I got a reply but no UA FF miles, also no apologies to my travel companion, who was the one that was verbally abused and also had written a complaint. (Two females traveling, BTW,)
Old May 17, 18, 9:51 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Flights were from/to IAD via Accra/Dakar respectively.
And to follow up: I got a reply but no UA FF miles, also no apologies to my travel companion, who was the one that was verbally abused and also had written a complaint. (Two females traveling, BTW,)
Sorry to hear about your experience. I may be a minority but I still fly SAA out of choice between London and Jo'burg.
Unfortunately mileage compensation is usually restricted to the airline's own mileage. United have only offered us their miles when we complained on two occasions, once about their inflight entertainment failing and the second and more annoying issue about the seat not reclining. I guess they may be part of the same alliance but their mileage is different currencies!

Search this Thread