FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South African Airways | Voyager (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-african-airways-voyager-752/)
-   -   No response to written complaint (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-african-airways-voyager/1872463-no-response-written-complaint.html)

trvl4fun2 Oct 17, 2017 7:31 am

No response to written complaint

1K Premier on United, flew SAA a few months ago. There were some major issues, including no workable headsets for the 18 hrs flight and FA flipping out and being verbally abusive. We emailed a complaint letter to SAA, but after the automatic acknowledgement (30 days for response, 60 if investigation required), have never received a reply. Nobody answers at the US customer service phone line.
Is there any other recourse, e.g. contacting StarAlliance or United, or filing a complaint with the FAA? Or do we just forget it? Sounds like SAA has more problems than dealing with one or two upset passengers.

SvenAge Oct 17, 2017 9:44 pm

deleted

trvl4fun2 Oct 18, 2017 7:44 am

I asked for miles as compensation, and yes, an apology or some response to the FA's behavior.
I'm wondering whether complaining to Star Alliance (United) might have any effect.

To elaborate, while the incompatible headsets were just incompetence, the FAs behavior was completely unacceptable, going beyond rudeness and becoming verbally abusive.

Ditto Oct 18, 2017 9:02 am

So you have status with United, say SAA gives you some voyager miles, what would you do with them? It's unlikely they will be enough for anything useful...

FlySAAUSA Oct 18, 2017 11:01 am

Originally Posted by trvl4fun2 (Post 28946791)
I asked for miles as compensation, and yes, an apology or some response to the FA's behavior.
I'm wondering whether complaining to Star Alliance (United) might have any effect.

To elaborate, while the incompatible headsets were just incompetence, the FAs behavior was completely unacceptable, going beyond rudeness and becoming verbally abusive.

Hello trvl4fun2,

Thank you for choosing South African Airways.

We're sorry to hear of the issues you encountered during your flight, and apologize for the delay in getting you a response. So that we can work to escalate this issue, may we ask that you email a copy of your original complaint (as well as the initial response) to [email protected], with a copy to [email protected]? We will ask our Customer Care team to look out for the correspondence.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for the delay.

Thank you.

South African Airways - North America.

trvl4fun2 Oct 18, 2017 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Ditto (Post 28947110)
So you have status with United, say SAA gives you some voyager miles, what would you do with them? It's unlikely they will be enough for anything useful...

I was expecting Mileage Plus miles.

I will see what SAA responds to my resubmission of the complaint.

Ditto Oct 18, 2017 11:30 am

Originally Posted by trvl4fun2 (Post 28947807)
I was expecting Mileage Plus miles.

I don't think it is a realistic expectation, but do report back if you get them.

maisondubonheur Oct 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Sad reality....SAA has given up on customer service. Put it simply...if you are lucky enough that the flight experience is going well, just enjoy it.

Just look at social media. SAA has stopped to answer complains where they are at fault. They have lost the first spot in Africa to Ethiopian. SAA customer service is just a disgrace....sad reality....

DBCme Nov 11, 2017 2:02 am

Auto reply to their email is "...experiencing high volume of queries..." and quotes anywhere from 5-10 days response time. If they fixed the product and service up front, they'd have less to deal with in the back end. :rolleyes:
But, this IS SAA, no no expectation of anything changing soon.

Ditto Nov 11, 2017 2:20 am

5-10 days is not unusual for any airline these days really...

trooper Nov 11, 2017 2:59 am

18 hour flight?????

HELL of a headwind to or from New York/JNB......

thijsseh Nov 12, 2017 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 29047161)
18 hour flight?????

HELL of a headwind to or from New York/JNB......

You need to include the stop in Accra or Dakar

evanb Nov 13, 2017 6:22 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh (Post 29053868)
You need to include the stop in Accra or Dakar

The New York flight is non-stop in both directions.

trvl4fun2 May 17, 2018 7:48 am

Flights were from/to IAD via Accra/Dakar respectively.
And to follow up: I got a reply but no UA FF miles, also no apologies to my travel companion, who was the one that was verbally abused and also had written a complaint. (Two females traveling, BTW,)

gcuk May 17, 2018 9:51 am

Originally Posted by trvl4fun2 (Post 29764183)
Flights were from/to IAD via Accra/Dakar respectively.
And to follow up: I got a reply but no UA FF miles, also no apologies to my travel companion, who was the one that was verbally abused and also had written a complaint. (Two females traveling, BTW,)

Sorry to hear about your experience. I may be a minority but I still fly SAA out of choice between London and Jo'burg.
Unfortunately mileage compensation is usually restricted to the airline's own mileage. United have only offered us their miles when we complained on two occasions, once about their inflight entertainment failing and the second and more annoying issue about the seat not reclining. I guess they may be part of the same alliance but their mileage is different currencies!