IAD - JNB fuel stop

Old Oct 10, 17, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL Mileage Plus
IAD - JNB fuel stop

Hi,

I read the forums but do not post a lot. I have just booked IAD - JNB in Biz class in late December. I see there is a fueling stop in DAKAR. Does this flight ALWAYS stop there or do they only do it if they are running low on fuel?

AND, I think this is in the middle of the flight, so do they wake everyone up to land?

I was thrilled that this was on their new equipment, now I am not as happy.
Thoughts?
Old Oct 10, 17, 8:05 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Yes it is a scheduled stop every day, some days in Dakar and some days in Accra. You will be woken up as the cabin has to be prepared for landing
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 10, 17, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much. How many hours into the flight is the fueling stop? And, do you have any sense of how many meal services there are?
Thanks
Old Oct 10, 17, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
Yes it is a scheduled stop every day, some days in Dakar and some days in Accra. You will be woken up as the cabin has to be prepared for landing
And, it is in both directions, e.g. including the return from JNB back to IAD. Most notably on the return, the plane and pax onboard go through a security check wherein the cabin is checked for left behind items of pax who's destination is Dakar (or Accra). They check the seats, stowage areas, overhead lockers, seat-back pockets, etc.

For an idea of flight times and when the flight lands in DKR or ACC check out Flightaware (scroll down for more detailed times of each leg)
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SAA207
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SAA208

Unfortunately, it's been a while since I've been in Business (sad face emoticon). So, I can't comment on menus. For both directions - you get fed dinner pretty soon after takeoff (from IAD or JNB as the case may be), then it's off to bed. During sleeping time, they have fairly ample snacks and drinks available in the galleys (in both business, and, to some degree coach). After the DKR/ACC stop, it's back to bed and then they wake you up a few hours before landing in JNB/IAD for breakfast. There's also a snack served. But, I'm often asleep for that and just go grab something from the galley (or have my own snacks).
Old Oct 10, 17, 11:57 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by timlarry View Post
Thanks so much. How many hours into the flight is the fueling stop? And, do you have any sense of how many meal services there are?
Thanks
From Washington the Dakar stop is about 8 hours into the flight (or around 2am EST), and in Accra it's around 10 hours in (4am EST)

There is local traffic on each leg so expect to be fed at least once on each
Old Oct 10, 17, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

This is so helpful. I was trying to be efficient by flying the new equipment from IAD, now I wish I was flying from JFK on the old equipment.....thoughts?
Old Oct 11, 17, 9:39 am

I was trying to be efficient.....thoughts?
Nothing about SAA these days, is "efficient." That's a joke.

Anywho...
This is so helpful. I was trying to be efficient by flying the new equipment from IAD, now I wish I was flying from JFK on the old equipment.....thoughts?
I am mostly partially based in the DC area now. So, the IAD-JNB run is preferable for me. I'm here and can scoot out to IAD much easier than getting up to NY. When I was spending much more time in NY, I preferred the JFK flight.

Also keep in mind that the JFK-JNB flight is different timing. Leaves JFK in the morningtime (NY time) and arrives JNB in the morningtime (JNB time). Depending on your on the ground / onward travel sked, that may make a difference as well.

Indeed, years ago, the "timing" was reversed with JFK-JNB leaving in the evening and ATL-JNB/CPT leaving in the morning. (When SAA switched from DL to UA, they switched from ATL to IAD).
Old Nov 7, 17, 8:04 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz Five Star
A bit late to the conversation but I did complete and write a trip report about the SAA Dakar Technical Stop here

It's a few years old but describes the experience. . .
Old Nov 12, 17, 6:41 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY D, MR G, CC S, IHG P
I'm doing the same trip next month and found this really helpful.

Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
Can the location of the stop change from Accra to Dakar or vice versa, or is the stop location fixed per the schedule for that particular date? My flights have Accra stops, which i prefer for sleeping.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73 View Post
A bit late to the conversation but I did complete and write a trip report about the SAA Dakar Technical Stop here

It's a few years old but describes the experience. . .
Great report and very relevant for me since I am going to Cape Town and Johannesburg and staying at the same hotels you did.
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 17, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by needtoescape View Post
Can the location of the stop change from Accra to Dakar or vice versa, or is the stop location fixed per the schedule for that particular date? My flights have Accra stops, which i prefer for sleeping.
Fixed as per schedule because of 5th freedom traffic rights. Easiest way to know which is the flight numbers.

SA 207/208 stops in Dakar (Johannesburg departures Tuesday, Thursday Saturday, DC departures Sunday, Wednesday, Friday).

SA 209/210 stops in Accra (Johannesburg departures Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday; DC departures Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday).
Old Nov 28, 17, 8:04 am
Original Poster

All of this is very helpful...so helpful in fact that we changed our flight. We are now leaving JFK - JNB - nonstop.

I saw the links in this thread and we are NOT checking bags (we travel lightly).

Any other advice about the JFK flight?
Old Nov 29, 17, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS (former)MVP, DL [NW-WP], AC Aeroplan, Starbucks Gold :)
First time posting in a few years, hi fellow FTers!

I am going to South Africa sometime in the first quarter of 2018 from PDX and I might take the IAD-(Dakar/Accra)-JNB flight. I take it that the door is open and therefore people have to go outside and then back on the aircraft prior to further travel to JNB. Dakar and Accra are both in the Yellow Fever endemic area. Does this brief stop in Accra or Dakkar trigger the requirement to have a Yellow Fever vaccine certificate on arrival in JNB?

My first trip to Africa. . . I'm excited!

Thanks!

~FAIPDXFlyer :-)
Old Nov 30, 17, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by FAIPDXFlyer View Post

I am going to South Africa sometime in the first quarter of 2018 from PDX and I might take the IAD-(Dakar/Accra)-JNB flight. I take it that the door is open and therefore people have to go outside and then back on the aircraft prior to further travel to JNB. Dakar and Accra are both in the Yellow Fever endemic area. Does this brief stop in Accra or Dakkar trigger the requirement to have a Yellow Fever vaccine certificate on arrival in JNB?

Thanks!

In scores of trips through Dakar or Accra, it's never triggered it for me (also US based) or friends or family (easily in the low 100s of trips, total).
Old Dec 2, 17, 9:26 am

Programs: UA Plat-1MM, Hhonors Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FAIPDXFlyer View Post

Thanks!

Hi, Took this flight a couple of times several years ago, and I don't remember ever getting off the plane. The plane door is open and other people get on and off, but since you do not de-plane, there should no issues with immigration/vaccines, ect.....
Old Dec 5, 17, 5:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, ShebaMiles
I take the IAD-DKR/ACC-JNB route fairly often... I have never had to get off the plane. It won't trigger any sort of yellow fever requirement in SA. If you had actually done a stopover and had an immigration stamp from those places, and gotten back on, then it would be a different story. Your ticket stub will also say IAD-JNB (no mention of the stop on it). Technical/intermediary stops are also quite frequent on many regional routes within Sub-Saharan Africa, so it's considered pretty normal.

Search this Thread