JNB-SZK Airmiles (Airlink)

Old Oct 7, 17, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

JNB-SZK Airmiles (Airlink)

Dear All,

I took this return flight for the past few years and have been pestered a couple times about collecting the airmiles from this. Looking at wheretocredit.com and understanding the short nature of the flight, I expect to earn very few miles which can only be credited to SAA voyager. Would there really be any point collecting miles from this flight? I'm guessing no. I am planning on taking another two flights early next year.. but thought I should ask people here. I assume there would be no use to them.
Old Oct 7, 17, 2:21 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
You are right, unless you already collect SAA Voyager miles there is little point. Airlink is not in Star so no other programs will credit
SvenAge likes this.
Old Oct 7, 17, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
You are right, unless you already collect SAA Voyager miles there is little point. Airlink is not in Star so no other programs will credit
Thank you for confirming - very helpful. I should have said that I don't travel on Star Alliance much and stick to OneWorld (BA/AA/QR).
Old Oct 8, 17, 10:54 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Surely you should just collect miles in Voyager anyway since there is no cost. (Not even opportunity cost - as you can't credit to any other FFP.)

Even smallish amounts might be useful. If you can amass 6000 miles you can use them towards duty free purchases, for example. 9500 will get you a one-way JNB-SZK - although if you are booking the cheapest fares and earning 250 miles each way I realise that will take 38 sectors to earn!

Maybe at some stage Voyager will offer conversion to a program you use.* Or maybe you just donate them to charity. (I don't know what the minimum for that is.) But just keep your options open for now.

[*OT example: I flew JetBlue precisely once a few years back. But I went to the trouble to join their FFP hoping a friend who lives in the US would combine the miles into his account. He didn't seem capable/bothered so I just left them lying there. Then 2 weeks ago I found out I could convert them to IHG via points.com. So not a total waste after all! ]

Search this Thread