SAA Upgrade on Emirates - latest?

Old Aug 2, 17, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAA, BA, Emirates
SAA Upgrade on Emirates - latest?

I searched for threads on this topic, and I could only find some old ones... And with SAA's changes, it's probably not current any more.

I am flying JNB-DXB-Delhi in November using EK. I also sit with 120k plus Voyager miles that I want to spend asap since I do not plan to fly SAA in future if I can help it (). According to the very poor description on their website, upgrades seem possible, albeit very expensive. No problem here, I am going to lose them in any event.

I called both SAA and Emirates and was told that it is not possible to use Voyager miles on Emirates flights for upgrades. This in contrary to some of the older information on this forum, and in my view, SAA's redemption guide. Both airlines are Star Alliance members.

Did anything change, or have I not yet been adamant enough.

PS In the mean time I have started collecting miles on Emirates Skywards, starting at rock bottom but full of optimism...

Any advice to be appreciated!
Old Aug 2, 17, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Whoops correction! Seems like EK is not *A? Maybe that's why? My mistake.

Question remains why are EK upgrades listed on Voyagers website then?
Old Aug 2, 17, 7:59 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Not sure where on the Voyager web site you are seeing Emirates upgrade awards?

In the very distant past they used to allow upgrades on the EK flights to/from DXB, provided they were booked under the SA code share. Not any more, though.
Old Aug 2, 17, 9:52 am
Original Poster

https://www.flysaa.com/za/en/voyager...dForMiles.html

I think they forgot to remove it from the "distant past"?

Anyway, thanks for the info! Confirms what I feared...
Old Aug 3, 17, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by chiqpc View Post
https://www.flysaa.com/za/en/voyager...dForMiles.html

I think they forgot to remove it from the "distant past"?

Anyway, thanks for the info! Confirms what I feared...
Am I losing it? I cannot see upgrades for EK flights on that page.
Old Aug 4, 17, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA View Post
Am I losing it? I cannot see upgrades for EK flights on that page.
It's not the best designed webpage... but it seems as if there is only a normal spending table and not an upgrade one
Attached Images  
Old Aug 4, 17, 6:59 am
Original Poster

You are correct, thanks! I missed that.
Old Mar 29, 19, 2:12 am

Programs: SAA Voyager
Hi everyone, Apologies for reviving this old thread, but I reckon this is the best place to ask the question.

I usually travel by carefully guiding the SAA Voyager help desk through my flight plan connection by connection. The end result is
Most flights out of S.A (if you want to fly business class) are Egypt Air. - I use United's site to find the flights with space.
Most flights back to S.A (if you want to fly business class) are Ethiopian air. - I use United's site to find the flights with space

I have looked at the Emirates section and it looks promising but I have a few questions, hopefully someone here has done this before.

1. Who do I book this with.....SAA Voyager help desk, emirates....
2. How does payment work...will a business class ticket to Europe 1 only cost me 105 000 points or will fuel and airport taxes be added?
3. Does the 105 000 points count only as one way?
4. Transfers from JHB to DXB is apparently not allowed, (See insert below) Will I then have to book a flight from SA to DXB separately?

If anyone has done this I would appreciate the help.

Terms and Conditions for Emirates

• Transfers via Johannesburg and Dubai are not permitted.
  • Connections via other Emirates cities are permitted.
  • If no Award is listed, a member must claim two or more Awards to complete the entire journey.
  • Award flights must be return trips.
  • Awards are not allowed on code-share flights.
  • Date changes are permitted subject to seat and class availability and re-issuance payment of ZAR 210.00.
  • Advance notice needs to be given for date changes as only SAA offices are permitted to re-issue Award tickets.
  • Award travel will not be permitted during blackout dates.
  • Mix classes on Awards are not permitted. Passengers need to either fly in Economy or Business Class both ways
  • Awards issued are only refundable within 30 days of issue.

Thanks
Old Mar 29, 19, 4:38 am

Not a fundi on this, but my reading of the rules would indicate:

1. Yes, you can only spend Voyager miles by booking through Voyager.
2. I assume taxes and other airline surcharges would be extra and depend on EK's practices. A dummy booking DXB-ZRH-DXB using Emirates miles shows taxes and surcharges of AED3395 - a pretty eye-watering R13 400!! For DXB-LON-DXB it's AED4245 (R16800) because of the APD. I would expect Voyager to apply the same - but no harm in asking for a dummy booking to be priced up.
3. Seeing that the rules state return journeys only, I would think the table should show rates for returns. But I have no proof of that.
4. Yes you will have to price up that part separately. (You can use two awards and still have a them issued on the same PNR.) If my understanding is correct, a return CPT-DXB-Europe will require 230,000 miles (125,000 + 105,000). [20,000 cheaper for Prague, Athens and Istanbul.]

Search this Thread