Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SAA A330-300

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:22 pm

So is there any feedback on row 1. Wonder if it will have the same issues with the second cabin bulkhead. Surprising very little trip reports on the new j.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by encierro98
So is there any feedback on row 1. Wonder if it will have the same issues with the second cabin bulkhead. Surprising very little trip reports on the new j.
I liked the second cabin bulkhead 9K. I have a trip report, alas without pics due to a long story, up on my blog. http://www.youwentwhere.com/?p=6174

I was in 8A originally and it was terrible and moved. That seat doesn't have aligned windows, is very loud, and the wall on the opposite side of the aisle makes it extra claustrophobic.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I liked the second cabin bulkhead 9K. I have a trip report, alas without pics due to a long story, up on my blog. http://www.youwentwhere.com/?p=6174

I was in 8A originally and it was terrible and moved. That seat doesn't have aligned windows, is very loud, and the wall on the opposite side of the aisle makes it extra claustrophobic.
Adam thank you for the report. might try it. Flying with the kids and now second guessing the screen so far in front with the bulkhead. One of their things they said from their last economy trip is that they like the tvs in economy better than business due to them being closer. I guess that is the silver of coach class. I was also a bit wary of row 9 because of this post
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
Many thanks!

I flew last night in 9K (SA223 from GRU -JNB) the bulkhead in the 2nd cabin, and it had a near perfect amount of legroom insofar as my legs had no restrictions either in depth or laterally. The cabin was also quite cool, which made use of the duvet quite pleasant.

There is, however, an unexpected downside to this seat, an acoustical aberration as far as I can tell. There are six metal galley cabinets in front of the seat but before the light/noise blocking curtain, and the normal use of these cabinets by the crew causes a loud BAM each time they are shut. The crew made use of the cabinets throughout the flight, and neither earplugs nor noise suppressing earphones were at all successful in diminishing the BAM. My wife, in 10K was unaware/unaffected by what sounded in 9K to be slamming doors --- it was really just one of those acoustical oddities that pops up every so often in newly designed environments.

The return flight in a few weeks is a day flight; we'll try the front cabin for that one.
So thinking of doing Row 10 or Row 2 in the front cabin.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by encierro98
Adam thank you for the report. might try it. Flying with the kids and now second guessing the screen so far in front with the bulkhead. One of their things they said from their last economy trip is that they like the tvs in economy better than business due to them being closer. I guess that is the silver of coach class. I was also a bit wary of row 9 because of this post

So thinking of doing Row 10 or Row 2 in the front cabin.
I was on the daytime flight JNB-GRU, so I wouldn't be surprise if the noise issue is different
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:59 am

Tourism Update has - well - an update!
http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/artic...shington-route

South African Airways has introduced its new Airbus A330-300 on the Washington DC route, but the new configuration will see a decrease in capacity.

The 249-seat aircraft has 46 seats in Premium Business Class and 203 in Economy Class, whereas the A340-600s that used to operate the route feature 317 seats – 42 in Premium Business Class and 275 in Economy Class.

SAA’s Head of Media Relations, Tlali Tlali, said aircraft deployment was based on demand and if there was an upsurge, the airline had aircraft available and would respond accordingly. He said decisions were based on the efficiency of operations, informed by demand, and deployment of the right-sized equipment.

Acting CEO for SAA, Musa Swane said: “Customers will be pleased with the latest-generation on-board amenities and other cabin features of the A330-300s. They certainly offer customers an improved travel experience.”

SAA Executive Vice President of the Americas, Todd Neuman, said: “With a new and innovative Premium Business Class product and a spacious and enhanced Economy Class cabin, SAA continues to provide world-class service to our customers both in the air and on the ground.”

Premium Business Class offers flat-bed seats with direct aisle access, gourmet meals, award-winning South African wines, and on-demand entertainment system, noise-cancelling headphones, and power and USB ports at every seat.

In Economy Class there are newly designed slim-line seats, with an increase in leg-room and personal space. Each seat is equipped with USB and PC power ports, with on-demand entertainment system featuring a 25cm touch screen.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:04 am

Anyone flown in Y? Still looking for some feedback on the seat pitch. The seating chart would indicate a big cut in legroom from the A340.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Tourism Update has - well - an update!
http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/artic...shington-route

South African Airways has introduced its new Airbus A330-300 on the Washington DC route, but the new configuration will see a decrease in capacity.

The 249-seat aircraft has 46 seats in Premium Business Class and 203 in Economy Class, whereas the A340-600s that used to operate the route feature 317 seats – 42 in Premium Business Class and 275 in Economy Class.

SAA’s Head of Media Relations, Tlali Tlali, said aircraft deployment was based on demand and if there was an upsurge, the airline had aircraft available and would respond accordingly. He said decisions were based on the efficiency of operations, informed by demand, and deployment of the right-sized equipment.

Acting CEO for SAA, Musa Swane said: “Customers will be pleased with the latest-generation on-board amenities and other cabin features of the A330-300s. They certainly offer customers an improved travel experience.”

SAA Executive Vice President of the Americas, Todd Neuman, said: “With a new and innovative Premium Business Class product and a spacious and enhanced Economy Class cabin, SAA continues to provide world-class service to our customers both in the air and on the ground.”

Premium Business Class offers flat-bed seats with direct aisle access, gourmet meals, award-winning South African wines, and on-demand entertainment system, noise-cancelling headphones, and power and USB ports at every seat.

In Economy Class there are newly designed slim-line seats, with an increase in leg-room and personal space. Each seat is equipped with USB and PC power ports, with on-demand entertainment system featuring a 25cm touch screen.
A little unfair to call it a decline in capacity, they loose 148 economy seats each weak, and gain 52 business seats. A net decline of 96 seats weekly on a current total of 1743 is not huge. On the plus side, it's a nice improvement in on board product.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:40 pm

Any feedback on the business class bulkhead in Row 1? I'm guessing it would have more legroom width, but is there a good amount of light or noise pollution from the forward galley?
@adam122, would you recommend 9K (a window/window bulkhead?). It looked pretty spacious in your blog.

Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles
Any feedback on the business class bulkhead in Row 1? I'm guessing it would have more legroom width, but is there a good amount of light or noise pollution from the forward galley?
@adam122, would you recommend 9K (a window/window bulkhead?). It looked pretty spacious in your blog.

Thanks!
I liked 9K, but the rear cabin was empty which helped. The TV is a little bit farther away and cubbies are a little different than on other seats, but I liked it.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
I know that this plane is currently servicing GRU and IAD, but does anyone know if there are any other updates of new routes that will be serviced by these planes?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by qrctraveller68
I know that this plane is currently servicing GRU and IAD, but does anyone know if there are any other updates of new routes that will be serviced by these planes?
They only have five in the fleet and no plans to add more. It serves GRU, IAD (both DKR/ACC) and LOS during the southern hemisphere summer. That schedule requires four aircraft with the fifth going to ACC (the non-IAD continuing flights), ABJ and CPT at the moment but will also find itself in MRU, LAD and LUN during the course of the summer. The fifth aircraft will revert to MUC during the southern hemisphere winter season.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:44 am

Thanks for the response. Looks like I will fly the older plane, which is receiving horrible reviews for the bedding online. Perhaps, my flight will not be full in J class, so I can swap an extra bedding.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:00 am

Thanks for the response. Looks like I will fly the older plane, which is receiving horrible reviews for the bedding online. Perhaps, my flight will not be full in J class, so I can swap an extra bedding.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond
Looks like SAA is now deploying A330-300 on LHR-JNB route, I booked a flight in Dec and it states on all the first flights out of LHR and JNB will be on the 333!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by jetboys360
Looks like SAA is now deploying A330-300 on LHR-JNB route, I booked a flight in Dec and it states on all the first flights out of LHR and JNB will be on the 333!
Yes, there are some capacity shifts in the works, JNB-GRU-JNB and JNB-DKR/DDS-JNB changing from A330-300 to A330-200 and one of the JNB-LHR-JNB flights to A330-300. It's still a far way off so a lot could change before then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.