New SAA A330-300

Old Jun 30, 18, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA / TAM / Multiplus / Smiles / Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by evanb View Post
Notionally, JNB-GRU is scheduled as a A330-200, but gets subbed with A330-300 and A340-600 based on demand. In the last week, operated one with A330-300 and twice with A340-600.
Thank you.

With the airbus 340 the flight is faster or the same?

Dec is peak season to JNB I think.

Edit: are you from SA? May I ask you what rent a car company you suggest? Last year I rent from Avis and it's ok.. The only problem was the fuel they charged wrong (open dispute with amex)

Last edited by flaviocc; Jun 30, 18 at 2:47 pm
Old Jun 30, 18, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by flaviocc View Post
With the airbus 340 the flight is faster or the same?
The flight times are about the same with the A330 and A340 since the A330s have got 240 minutes ETOPS.
flaviocc likes this.
Old Jul 28, 18, 4:11 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac View Post

Flew ABJ-ACC yesterday in Y - legroom was still decent, I hadn't looked at this thread prior so wasn't specifically checking (and didn't take a pic, sorry) but I thought at the time that it was better than BA, certainly. Haven't flown on SAA long haul for a while but I don't think that the legroom is a 'big cut' from the 346. Seat was rock hard though, and the curve in the backrest was (for me) really uncomfortable- I have a long back and the curve towards the headrest area was against my shoulders rather than (I think the intention) my neck.

i flew the 333 in J ACC-JNB in March and really liked it, a big step up for SAA, but with the seats in Y I will now actively avoid it, which means I'll be sticking with BA for the LHR-JNB turns....
Just following up on this, having flown a 346 FRA-JNB and then the 333 JNB-LHR last week. The 333 does have slightly tighter legroom than the 346, but it's marginal, and still absolutely fine for me. I still found the 333 seat very hard and uncomfortable in non-reclined position, felt too upright, almost like it's pushing your head and shoulders too far forward. Once reclined, however, it was very comfortable indeed - seemed to be a very big recline but still not too 'in your face', and the hardness I think became a virtue. A good night's sleep, once I'd finished watching the last 5 episodes of The Good Wife S6!
Old Aug 9, 18, 7:15 pm

Programs: *G
So what are the routes that are likely to be served by this next winter (northern hemisphere summer)? I don't see it on the schedule for FRA/GRU/MUC/PER/HKG, but still on the schedule for LHR. Any other noteable long-hauls? Currently planning a RTW-trip through JNB and would love to give it a try. Because of the RTW I'm VERY flexible on routing.
Old Aug 10, 18, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
So what are the routes that are likely to be served by this next winter (northern hemisphere summer)? I don't see it on the schedule for FRA/GRU/MUC/PER/HKG, but still on the schedule for LHR. Any other noteable long-hauls? Currently planning a RTW-trip through JNB and would love to give it a try. Because of the RTW I'm VERY flexible on routing.
LHR (daily), LOS (daily), ACC-IAD (4x weekly) are fairly certain at this stage.
Old Aug 20, 18, 1:05 am

Trying to plan a mini-RTW trip here as well.. what do people think about the A340-300? I have a choice of flying direct HKG to JNB on SAA but looks like it's going to be the old A340. I also have a choice of flying Air China but that includes a stopover in Beijing and so the flight time will increase from 13h to 20h, but (?) it's on a boeing 777.
Old Aug 24, 18, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S-E35K (former AC*G-SE100K for 3 yrs)
Originally Posted by kw0921 View Post
Trying to plan a mini-RTW trip here as well.. what do people think about the A340-300? I have a choice of flying direct HKG to JNB on SAA but looks like it's going to be the old A340. I also have a choice of flying Air China but that includes a stopover in Beijing and so the flight time will increase from 13h to 20h, but (?) it's on a boeing 777.
If you like western food i think the food on SAA is way better.
Old Aug 24, 18, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
There's an adage on the China forum (and others) that "friends don't let friends connect in Beijing." And for good reason - the airport isn't the nicest to spend a few hours in, but you need to leave time for transit and the typical China ATC delays. And if you want to exit the airport, you'll need to go through the transit without visa procedures. The marginal improvement in airplane (debatable) probably isn't worth that.
Old Aug 24, 18, 2:52 pm

Depends if we're talking business or economy (just in terms of aircraft, excluding the PEK/HKG differences). SAA A340-300 in business is pretty comfortable. Entertainment is dated, food is decent, drink is good. Seat is very nice for sleeping. In economy the age of it shows a little more, entertainment is dated, food is still better than Air China, drink is excellent by economy class standards!
Old Aug 26, 18, 12:59 am

Thanks everyone for your tips and suggestions!
Old Dec 4, 18, 11:28 am

Programs: AS MVP til 2007 (or 2061!)/AC E50K/SPG/MarrPPE/Accor-FPC Plat/IHG Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Was hoping I would get lucky with an equipment swap for my JNB-GRU flight in a couple of days, but flightaware shows an old A340-300 operating.

While the seat comfort was perfectly fine, the IFE screen was awful and at least 15 year old technology.

That being said, the in-flight service with SA is better than ET.
evanb likes this.