Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

Business Class Airlink JNB to MUB - three questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

I am currently in the process of organising a trip to Botswana from London next August, travelling via JNB.

I will be arriving at JNB at 0905 on the BA flight from LHR. I was considering then getting the Airlink flight to MUB at 1145. Note that I will be travelling with only hand luggage and will be travelling business class on the Airlink flight.

I have three questions about this:

(i) Does Airlink business class allow me into any lounges at JNB?

(ii) Is it possible to check in online for Airlink flights and print boarding passes?

(iii) Given that I will be travelling without hold baggage, am I able to get off my BA flight from LHR and transit airside to the Airlink flight without entering South Africa? If I can't transit airside, would I have enough time after landing at 0905 to make the 1145 flight?

I have tried to get answers to these three questions both from other threads and from the Airlink website but the answers are proving elusive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by drpabs; Nov 23, 2016 at 4:58 am
Old Nov 23, 2016, 9:25 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I've only done international to international with a 20 hour connection in JNB. All my other shorter connections have been on the same ticket within 2-4 hours and have been international to domestic.

On the international to international (two tickets), I did clear SA JNB customs (collecting bags) and went to the public side. On my trip Victoria Falls Zimbabwe on BA, connecting to SAA, I did re-check in with SAA on the public side in JNB in the departures hall.

I didn't try to have the checked bags interlined, although this may be possible but the chances of error I suspect may be higher. There will be a connections desk immediately before the public exit on international arrivals at JNB. This is manned most times, but not always. At worst, you will have to go upstairs and see the public desk.

The time period you have provided is more than enough time (even to go to the public side). The biggest line up will be at SAA customs if you chose to clear it. I can't speak for online check in or the availability of an SAA connections desk on an international, secure side connection since we collected and went into the city. The SAA public international business class check in area is large with rarely a line.

You should have access to the SAA Business Lounge in the international terminal based on class of service. If you don't for some reason, and are desperate, the Johannesburg Shongololo Lounge allows cash visits.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:34 pm
Community Director Emerita

Take a look at this thread for some information that might be helpful. It's not entirely on point, but it does answer some questions that you haven't asked, for instance, that business class on that flight really is coach. It's just the first rows in the plane.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-question.html
Old Nov 25, 2016, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by drpabs
(iii) Given that I will be travelling without hold baggage, am I able to get off my BA flight from LHR and transit airside to the Airlink flight without entering South Africa? If I can't transit airside, would I have enough time after landing at 0905 to make the 1145 flight?
See this thread.

I transited JNB this summer (MRU-JNB-FRA) and the experience was not smooth. Even on an Intl-Intl connection you have to go through a passport check (where they will stamp it in transit) and a security check. Both checks had long lines. 2 hours should be enough, but it really is a crapshoot since it depends on what kind of lines you're going to find.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 12:33 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
Originally Posted by drpabs

I have three questions about this:

(i) Does Airlink business class allow me into any lounges at JNB?

(ii) Is it possible to check in online for Airlink flights and print boarding passes?

drpabs, I am a regular on the JNB-MUB route and can (attempt to) answer your questions:

1. Yes. You should get access to the SAA Premium Lounge - https://www.flysaa.com/manage-fly/be...irport/lounges. It has showers and a moderate breakfast offering.

2. Yes. You can even add the electronic boarding pass to iPhone/Apple wallet/passbook.

3. You can transit airside. It is not entirely swift as there is a passport check (as well as security screening) but it is quicker than in-immigrating to SA and going landside. However, you would have (just enough) time to go landside if you wanted if you knew where you were going/don't dawdle.

Lastly, enjoy Botswana and the magical Okavango Delta. Feel free to ask me any other MUB-related questions and i'll help where I can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.