Luggage Allowance

Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
"A Passenger owned Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Machine is permitted. (Note: This CPAP machine must be battery operated)" There doesn't seem to be an additional charge for medical equipment carried by passengers.

https://www.flysaa.com/cm/en/flyingS...avelNeeds.html
Thanks. The website I went to (looks like some sort of preview site) did not have the page you referenced. I don't worry about the battery operated part as I just want to bring it in the cabin because it is somewhat delicate.

But my question still remains. I assume that if I take my CPAP machine in the cabin it will count as my 1 piece of hand luggage. If I have another carry on (or laptop case), will that be permitted? I will happily pay the excess baggage fee but I just want to take the delicate stuff in the cabin with me.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Last month when I flew CPT-JNB I had no issue having a camera bag and a messenger bag. Nobody seemed to notice nor take issue with it. I also had a rather heavy checked bag that nobody looked at. QR took bag weight more seriously.

Depending on how big your CPAP is and how big your extra bag is you probably won't have an issue. You could call SAA at South African Airways - North America (800) 722-9675 to confirm or private message user FlySAAUSA here on FT.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Last month when I flew CPT-JNB I had no issue having a camera bag and a messenger bag. Nobody seemed to notice nor take issue with it. I also had a rather heavy checked bag that nobody looked at. QR took bag weight more seriously.

Depending on how big your CPAP is and how big your extra bag is you probably won't have an issue. You could call SAA at South African Airways - North America (800) 722-9675 to confirm or private message user FlySAAUSA here on FT.
I've always flown these kind of segments as part of a larger international business class ticket. And the greater premium class baggage allowance has been in play. From what you just posted I don't expect any issues. My CPAP bag is basically like a medium to large messenger bag. My wife and I will be travelling with that, a legitimate 20" carry on and a laptop bag, So I expect that with it being medical equipment it will be OK. I never have had a problem with it on US domestic carriers or on LH intra-European flights. It was the lack of information on the subject on the (new?) SAA site that I found disturbing.

Thanks again for your advice!
Old Nov 3, 2016, 3:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
How strict is SAA with the hand luggage weight?

I'm flying JNB-WDH-JNB at the end of the month. The trip is short and will be connecting from/to another flight, so I would prefer to not check any luggage. However, I can see that there is a limit of 8Kg for Economy passengers. Do they actually weight the carry-on bags?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.