CPT-JNB-IAD on SAA

Old Jul 8, 16, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

CPT-JNB-IAD on SAA

So I booked a trip recently to CPT through JNB on SAA through a ridiculously cheap fare. We want to see either Victoria Falls or a park around JNB. My thought was buying a cheap ticket out of CPT a day or two before our return departure back home to either Victoria falls (and back to JNB) or to JNB to see that area. Then simply boarding the JNB-IAD flight and skipping the CPT-JNB leg as flying back to CPT to follow our original itinerary back home would be a waste of time and additional cost only to fly back through JNB.

I figured calling them to ask if it was possible to cancel just that CPT-JNB leg would result in a "no", but would skipping that one leg be an issue trying to board in JNB?
Old Jul 8, 16, 12:46 pm

Yeah, that'd be a no.

What you could do is try and change your ticket extend your inbound JNB stay. Get off in JNB and do you JNB/Vic Falls related travel then go JNB-CPT, spend time in CPT, and return CPT-JNB-IAD. But, I've found doing this post ticketing of a low fare SAA ticket to be very very difficult.
Old Jul 9, 16, 4:25 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Any attempt to alter or skip one of the legs will result in a change fee and a refare. The change fee may or may not be acceptable to the OP, but if the fare was "ridiculously cheap" the chances are that the refare won't be. So the OP will have to waste some hours flying back down to CPT to travel the original itinerary. Fares between JNB and CPT are cheap so it shouldn't be a major deal.
Old Jul 9, 16, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
Any attempt to alter or skip one of the legs will result in a change fee and a refare. The change fee may or may not be acceptable to the OP, but if the fare was "ridiculously cheap" the chances are that the refare won't be. So the OP will have to waste some hours flying back down to CPT to travel the original itinerary. Fares between JNB and CPT are cheap so it shouldn't be a major deal.
By refare do you mean if I called them they would alter the cost I paid even if I don't make any changes? In the end I'm trying to make the most of my time going to South Africa. The fare, for reference, was about 20-25% the average fare for this route so I don't want to mess it up if they decide they don't want to honor it when id call to make adjustments because of an error.
Old Jul 10, 16, 11:14 am

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
I'd just fly back from CPT to JNB or LVI Livingstone for the days you need and pay for it. I highly doubt SA will be happy to mess around with your ticket.

I got tickets at the same time and I'm sure they are bit stressed about the price, but likely I'd guess they have the space to absorbed all of us.

Pricing flights on google flights for a random weekend in October CPT - JNB is only $156 on MANGO or $183 on SA round trip. LVI Livingstone is more at $378.

JBN will be a fairly quick flight.
Old Jul 10, 16, 7:13 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American Gold AAdvantage
The ridiculously low fare that you are probably referring to was the one offered by some of the online travel agencies last week. I looked at these fares, as well, but a trip to South Africa did not work out with my schedule, at this time. I understand this was a pricing error and the tickets were not accessed the applicable fuel surcharge, which depending upon the routing, was at least a $400.00 savings. SAA is honoring the tickets that were issued, but any subsequent changes that are made to the itinerary will result in the a change fee, plus the additional collection of the applicable fare (including the fuel surcharge).

You are probably better off sticking with your original itinerary or it could become costly. Also, if you no-show for one segment of your itinerary, the remainder of your flights will automatically cancel.
Old Jul 14, 16, 12:51 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by partsunknown View Post
So I booked a trip recently to CPT through JNB on SAA through a ridiculously cheap fare. We want to see either Victoria Falls or a park around JNB. My thought was buying a cheap ticket out of CPT a day or two before our return departure back home to either Victoria falls (and back to JNB) or to JNB to see that area. Then simply boarding the JNB-IAD flight and skipping the CPT-JNB leg as flying back to CPT to follow our original itinerary back home would be a waste of time and additional cost only to fly back through JNB.

I figured calling them to ask if it was possible to cancel just that CPT-JNB leg would result in a "no", but would skipping that one leg be an issue trying to board in JNB?
No-showing for the CPT-JNB flight on the return will result in automatic cancelling of the JNB-IAD flight. This would possibly make the "ridiculously cheap" airfare null and void. Quite sure that any changes to this fare are hugely cost prohibitive. So you could very well find yourselves in a situation that becomes extremely costly.
Old Jul 15, 16, 8:57 am
Company Representative, SAA

Originally Posted by partsunknown View Post

Hello partsunknown:

Thank you for choosing South African Airways.

As some users have already echoed, "no-showing" for your flight from CPT-JNB may result in the following flight from JNB being cancelled. In order to get full understanding of your options for adjusting your tickets, we ask that you contact our Customer Call Center at:

Tel (from North America):
1 (800) 722-9675

Tel (from within South Africa):
0861 FLYSAA
0861 606 606
0861 359 722

Tel (when abroad):
+27 11 978 5313

Thank you.

South African Airways - North America
1 (800) 722-9675

Search this Thread