Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > South African Airways | Voyager
Reload this Page >

JNB Hotels that SAA Sends Missed Connection Passengers To?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus

Is anyone familiar with the hotels that SAA contracts to for passengers with missed connections? My Lufthansa FRA-JNB flight is delayed so long that I not only get to stay in a Frankfurt hotel tonight but I will also miss my JNB-CPT connection on SAA. Lufthansa says that I'll be put up in a hotel there.

Last edited by brngckn; Jun 22, 2016 at 7:59 pm
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:01 am

I have no idea.. but how are you ending up with a night in JNB? Are they going to operate yesterday's LH 572 as a day flight?
I think you are much better off by asking to be rebooked on any number of other night flights today.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Yes, LH572 from last night is delayed 12 hours and departing this morning instead. By the time I reach JNB tonight it will be too late to make a connection to CPT, leaving me stuck overnight a 2nd night. Rebooking on a flight tonight (LH or other) will not get me to CPT any faster.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
LH will be arranging your hotel in JNB, not SA.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by brngckn
Rebooking on a flight tonight (LH or other) will not get me to CPT any faster.
It possibly will, if they rebook you on a flight going to CPT rather than connecting in JNB...
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:58 am

I only have limited access to flight data. But, there are lots of SAA flights between JNB and CPT (I want to say nearly every 1+ hours or so). This may all be moot as you might be in the air, but, how late do you arrive into JNB? They may be booking you on a evening JNB-CPT flight.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

As I expected, I missed the last flight from JNB to CPT tonight. Lufthansa put at least 50 of us up at the Southern Sun. I'm rebooked on a 9:10 am flight tomorrow. Hope this information may help someone in the future.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by brngckn
As I expected, I missed the last flight from JNB to CPT tonight. Lufthansa put at least 50 of us up at the Southern Sun. I'm rebooked on a 9:10 am flight tomorrow. Hope this information may help someone in the future.
Makes sense they would use a decent place to put people up.

They wouldn't put you on BA?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 3:08 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by N1120A
Makes sense they would use a decent place to put people up.

They wouldn't put you on BA?
If no SAA flights then likely also no BA flights. JNB-CPT flights operate like a bus service, >1/hour. You often have SAA flights departing within 10-15 minutes of each other on the same route.

You could have tried for rebooking on a direct flight to CPT as others mentioned but too late now.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
If no SAA flights then likely also no BA flights. JNB-CPT flights operate like a bus service, >1/hour. You often have SAA flights departing within 10-15 minutes of each other on the same route.

You could have tried for rebooking on a direct flight to CPT as others mentioned but too late now.
I meant switching to BA from Europe.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Just to supplement the information: If SA puts you in a hotel, it's the City Lodge (also J pax!). Now this is the poorest of the three hotels at JNB airport. So you can count yourself lucky that it was LH who took care of you ...
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by swiss_global
Just to supplement the information: If SA puts you in a hotel, it's the City Lodge (also J pax!). Now this is the poorest of the three hotels at JNB airport. So you can count yourself lucky that it was LH who took care of you ...
SAA put be at the Southern Sun a few weeks back. I think it just depends at what capacity is available where and when.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.