Search

Champagne no longer offered in int'l J?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Champagne no longer offered in int'l J?

I'll admit I don't closely follow each little change SAA implements, but I was rather surprised that the int'l J menu only featured a SA sparkling wine.

I'm pretty sure SAA served proper champagne as recently as 1-2 years ago. (And yes, I realize that a very good sparkling wine can be better than a cheap champagne, though that's hardly the case with airlines.)

Does anyone have any insights?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:55 am

Here is a recent business class menu if you scroll down, no Champagne to be seen, only a SA sparkling wine (which might be good of course):
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...s-review-a330/
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I was rather surprised that the int'l J menu only featured a SA sparkling wine.
Perhaps not all that surprising for an airline that's technically insolvent.

Johan
Old Jun 9, 2016, 3:09 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by view
Here is a recent business class menu if you scroll down, no Champagne to be seen, only a SA sparkling wine (which might be good of course):
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...s-review-a330/
wow lucky sure lives a tough life as a trust fund kid

the menu doesn't even say which whine

and it's prob jc leroux or something cheap

that cheese plate is pretty weak and exactly what they serve in the lounge (right down to the pre packaged crackers)

all the more reason i take my bidness to tk and lh.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel

Johan
Fair enough - though I'm not aware of an airline recovering by offering a more and more uncompetitive premium product (5-10 years ago their J product was among the best on the route with fully-flat J seats and excellent F&B; now it's pretty average).
Old Jun 9, 2016, 4:12 am
cur

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Fair enough - though I'm not aware of an airline recovering by offering a more and more uncompetitive premium product (5-10 years ago their J product was among the best on the route with fully-flat J seats and excellent F&B; now it's pretty average).
well as much as south africa is perceived as this advanced dutch colony

in reality it is at least 5-10 years behind the rest of world in much more than just j seats

recovering airlines with kak business class seats: all of ua, dl, aa 5 years ago, ac 10 years ago pre-xm, jl nh and tg medium haul intra-asia seats, most of air china's fleet (and they're profitable)
Old Jun 9, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American Gold AAdvantage
Originally Posted by johan rebel

Johan
While possibly true, but more importantly, as the national carrier, SAA is fully committed to supporting the wine industry in South Africa by serving the country's vintages.

Last edited by FlyPI; Jun 9, 2016 at 4:54 pm Reason: duplicate wording
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyPI
While possibly true, but more importantly, as the national carrier, SAA is fully committed to supporting the wine industry in South Africa by serving the country's vintages.
Good for them!!

It would be even better if they were fully committed to supporting South African taxpayers by running an efficient and profitable airline.

Johan
Old Jun 17, 2016, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
They certainly did not have Champagne over New Year, but SA sparkling. Also, I was slightly disappointed with the SA wine choice overall - just not inspiring which is a shame when they make a big play of supporting the SA industry.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:11 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Cap Classique on my last SAA JNB-MRU flight in May 2016. No champers.

At least some of the wines aren't the absolute cheapest of the bunch. . . At least by comparison to some of the North American carriers which are at the absolute bottom.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:32 pm
cur

interesting, i had bubbly whine in y on a recent iad-jnb flight

it was drinkable

oh wait, op was whining about no champagne....but rsa makes its own sparkling wines?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
When I fly "national" airlines, I actually like to be offered home country wines when those countries are known for quality wines. I would hope to have a good SA sparkling wine rather than a mediocre French champagne on my flight next month. And I look forward to an array of red and white wines over dinner. Snobism over wines is insufferable. I can understand Krug or Dom on a Gulf or Asian airline, as they don't make wine in those countries. Airlines should be ambassadors for their home food and drink.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
When I fly "national" airlines, I actually like to be offered home country wines when those countries are known for quality wines. I would hope to have a good SA sparkling wine rather than a mediocre French champagne on my flight next month. And I look forward to an array of red and white wines over dinner. Snobism over wines is insufferable. I can understand Krug or Dom on a Gulf or Asian airline, as they don't make wine in those countries. Airlines should be ambassadors for their home food and drink.
I fully agree - when flying certain airlines, sampling the wines of that country is part of the experience and I often very much enjoy it. NZ and SA generally do an excellent job at featuring wines from their home countries, AF does too and surprisingly LX, as well. (AC, on the other hand, does a fairly mediocre job).

However, when it comes to sparkling wine / champagne, it often is more of a cost issue IMO. As mentioned above, I much prefer a good sprarkling wine over a poor champagne, but IMHO it's quite rare to find high-end sparkling wine on an airline.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by cur
the menu doesn't even say which whine

and it's prob jc leroux or something cheap
The menu states it is a Methode Cap Classique. JC Le Roux is not a Methode Cap Classique. So no, unlikely something cheap.

Originally Posted by cur
that cheese plate is pretty weak and exactly what they serve in the lounge (right down to the pre packaged crackers)

all the more reason i take my bidness to tk and lh.
SAA use LH for catering from Frankfurt, so I'm not sure you'll be getting a better cheese plate from LH.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:11 am
cur

Originally Posted by evanb

SAA use LH for catering from Frankfurt, so I'm not sure you'll be getting a better cheese plate from LH.
that's not how catering works.

ac has way better cheese in j out of all stations, let alone not pre plated, or with pre packaged crackers. including out of fra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.