FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South African Airways | Voyager (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-african-airways-voyager-752/)
-   -   Keeping SAA Voyager account alive for USA-based flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-african-airways-voyager/1759814-keeping-saa-voyager-account-alive-usa-based-flyer.html)

salut0 Apr 15, 2016 3:05 pm

Keeping SAA Voyager account alive for USA-based flyer

I'm interested in learning how I can keep an SAA Voyager account active when based in the USA.

Other than crediting Star Alliance and other partner flights to the account, what methods are the easiest for extending the validity of the SAA miles?

cur Apr 16, 2016 1:47 am

https://www.flysaa.com/us/en/voyager...ningMiles.html

car rentals from avis are probably easiest

add marriott to the list, but probably crappy rates like everything else voyager.

burn your voyager asap, i don't see them getting more valuable anytime soon? plus saa here is in trouble

salut0 Apr 17, 2016 8:29 am

But the following suggests that unless you fly 6,000 miles on SAA itself, your miles will expire even if there is other activity on the account. Is that true?

11. Expiry of Miles

11.1 All Voyager Miles earned are valid for 3 (three) years after the year in which such Miles were earned by a Member. For purposes hereof a year is calculated from 1 April to 31 March.
11.2 If a minimum of 6 000 (six thousand) Tier Miles (earned on South African Airways flights only excluding other affiliated airlines) have been flown for the period January to December preceding the date of expiry, the Miles will be carried over into the following year, thereby extending the validity for 1 (one) additional year only.
11.3 If a Member on a Lifetime Platinum status level spends a minimum of R300 000 (three hundred thousand Rand) on the SAA Voyager credit card during the period January to December preceding the date of expiry, the Miles due to expire will be carried over into the following year, thereby extending the validity for 1 (one) additional year only.

Cheetah_SA Apr 17, 2016 1:38 pm

All miles earned expire after 36 months The only exception is if you accrue 6000 tier miles, exclusively on SA metal in a given year - then your miles will be saved for another year. All other activity is irrelevant. You will post more miles to your account but miles older than 36 months will be forfeited.

Just another reason (like you need another!) to avoid this verkakte FFP.

salut0 Apr 17, 2016 3:36 pm

Fascinating. Well, thanks for the helpful clarification. I won't bother collecting miles on SAA Voyager then. Luckily, I haven't started to do so.

cur Apr 18, 2016 2:50 am

Originally Posted by salut0 (Post 26498426)
Fascinating. Well, thanks for the helpful clarification. I won't bother collecting miles on SAA Voyager then. Luckily, I haven't started to do so.

lol why would you start doing so, unless maybe your employer flies you exclusively in full fare J on saa?

salut0 Apr 18, 2016 5:58 am

Because I'm about to fly LY which (apart from its own FF program where the miles expire three years after earning) you can only credit to either QF or SA frequent flyer programs and I wanted took figure out which to use. SA seemed best since it can also collect B6 flights but then I discovered thanks to your and others expertise that SA miles are useless and I won't be able to keep them valid for long enough to be able to do anything with them before they expire.

purch Apr 18, 2016 2:20 pm

When I saw the title, I was going to say that you should do nothing at all, as my voyager account is alive and well after around 10 years of no activity whatsoever :p Then I opened the thread, and saw what you meant...

I'll echo what everybody else says - find a different FFP ;)