FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South African Airways | Voyager (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-african-airways-voyager-752/)
-   -   Advance Seat Selection on UA award? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-african-airways-voyager/1758109-advance-seat-selection-ua-award.html)

jp12687 Apr 7, 16 1:13 pm

Advance Seat Selection on UA award?

Hey,

i booked a UA award ticket that has a leg in business on SAA JNB-JFK.

I can get into the booking using the confirmation number-- but i see no where to select seats-- am i missing it? do i have to call in? any input would be helpful.

thanks

luv2go Apr 7, 16 5:03 pm

You need to call SAA. I just did that today for a JFK-JNB flight in J using my united miles.

cur Apr 8, 16 2:31 am

it's a struggle for y but you're in j so hopefully that's more favorable

get the sa conf code from your ua booking
then try accessing your res in flysaa.com

you can also email them [email protected]

refer to
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...nment-saa.html

jsnydcsa Apr 8, 16 10:30 am

As I've intimated in other threads, I've found the Florida-located SAA Call Centre VERY helpful with everything from seat selection (in Y and J, whether award tickets or purchased) to far more complicated situations. I'd be surprised if they couldn't/wouldn't help you.

Even without the SAA record locator, unless there's a problem, they can find your res (and often give me the SA locator for future reference).

cur Apr 8, 16 10:44 am

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa (Post 26456226)
As I've intimated in other threads, I've found the Florida-located SAA Call Centre VERY helpful with everything from seat selection (in Y and J, whether award tickets or purchased) to far more complicated situations. I'd be surprised if they couldn't/wouldn't help you.

Even without the SAA record locator, unless there's a problem, they can find your res (and often give me the SA locator for future reference).

just called the florida office

"unfortunately if you're in economy and on a non-saa ticket i cannot select a seat for you, not even for star golds. my computer will not allow it. you will have to do it at check in"

Flame3601 Apr 11, 16 8:25 am

Please make sure if telephoning SAA, to make sure you are able to spend a good hour waiting to get answered and if you email you probably will never get a reply ....

That my experience with SAA over the last 10 years

jsnydcsa Apr 11, 16 11:22 am

Originally Posted by cur (Post 26456299)
just called the florida office

"unfortunately if you're in economy and on a non-saa ticket i cannot select a seat for you, not even for star golds. my computer will not allow it. you will have to do it at check in"

OP said he was in J. Even when booking revenue Y tix directly through SAA, I've been told, in some cases, either it's seat selection at the airport or pay for privilege of selecting seat earlier.

Originally Posted by Flame3601 (Post 26468768)
Please make sure if telephoning SAA, to make sure you are able to spend a good hour waiting to get answered and if you email you probably will never get a reply ....

That my experience with SAA over the last 10 years

180 degree opposite experience for me with SAA's US call centre. Never emailed SAA. Always called, some hold time, but never more than 10 minutes, max.

w000t Apr 13, 16 2:29 am

i was able to select my seats before on an aeroplan J ticket by using egyptair's website. not sure if that still works anymore?

Tennen Apr 13, 16 1:51 pm

Not quite the same, but ASR question.

Is it difficult (or rather, possible) to get seat assignments in Y for paid tickets not issued by SAA? And if so, who (if anyone) can one choose exit/bulkheads/extra legroom seats for free?

Since preferred seats aren't a *G benefit, I was wondering if being booked on a Y or B fare would make a difference.

Thanks!

jsnydcsa Apr 13, 16 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Tennen (Post 26480636)

Is it difficult (or rather, possible) to get seat assignments in Y for paid tickets not issued by SAA? And if so, who (if anyone) can one choose exit/bulkheads/extra legroom seats for free?

Since preferred seats aren't a *G benefit, I was wondering if being booked on a Y or B fare would make a difference.

Thanks!

As I've mentioned above, I've always found SAA's US call centre staff generally very helpful in doing seat assignments for all types of tickets. YMMV. BUT, I've generally found that SAA's US call centre staff can NOT put you into bulkhead or exit row seats. According to the representatives, those have always seemed to be "airport assigned" or something like that. Due to my particular traveling circumstances, I've never attempted to select bulkhead or exit row seats during online seat selection (and indeed have stopped asking about them when I call). A LONG time ago (15+ years), I had a US-based travel agent who was somehow able to wangle me bulkhead seats. But, that was a long time ago.

Unless I've missed something, there are no specific "extra legroom" seats (similar to Economy Plus-type seats) on SAA that are available, at all.

I can't speak to whether Y vs B fare code would make a difference in whether paid tickets issued by a codeshare/partner airline could get seat assignments prior to airport check-in. But, I do stand by my statement that SAA's US call centre is generally very accommodating of seat selection requests. I've never had a problem - as recently as in the past two months. Honestly, however, perhaps its recently changed, I've just had better luck or been on a particular type of ticket that allowed it.

cur Apr 14, 16 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Tennen (Post 26480636)

Thanks!

no. advance seat selection requires you pay, and us call center is unable to reserve a seat. za call centers and the za customer service email can help, but there is a charge.they tried collecting 650zar for cpt-jnb-lhr, iad-jnb, all exit rows on widebodies. i still won't pay for that. it's 2016

DBCme Apr 3, 17 1:49 am

SAA advance select seat information, paid and unpaid options.

https://www.flysaa.com/plan-book/add...lect-your-seat

billy10drs Apr 17, 17 8:25 pm

You can reserve seats through lufthansa.com....just use the SAA confirmation number united gives you and it works. Just did it again today!

Minos Nov 11, 19 11:41 am

Anyone has any luck selecting seat in Y recently? This thread is from 2017 so I am wondering if there are ways to select seat using UA Mileage Plus Award tickets in Y. (The Lufthansa trick does not work anymore)

I purchased this flight because I wanted an A340-600 (which I understand may switch to an A350) and because I wanted to do the long diagonal Transatlantic. If I cannot select my seat, I'll just cancel the ticket and fly on Etihad.
So any luck with seat selection?

They are willing to do that for a segment in Business but not for Economy or so it seems.
Minos

narvik Nov 17, 19 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Minos (Post 31725460)
Anyone has any luck selecting seat in Y recently? This thread is from 2017 so I am wondering if there are ways to select seat using UA Mileage Plus Award tickets in Y. (The Lufthansa trick does not work anymore)

I purchased this flight because I wanted an A340-600 (which I understand may switch to an A350) and because I wanted to do the long diagonal Transatlantic. If I cannot select my seat, I'll just cancel the ticket and fly on Etihad.
So any luck with seat selection?

They are willing to do that for a segment in Business but not for Economy or so it seems.
Minos

I would like to know this also.
Have a business award on SA and can't seem to select seats on flysaa.com.

Error:
Payment for this reservation cannot be processed online. Please contact the SAA Call Center.