Time in Lounge or getting on earlier CPT Flight?

Old Mar 8, 16, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Time in Lounge or getting on earlier CPT Flight?

Hello,

I am transiting JNB to get to CPT and am in J on the cruddy 737-800. Now there is a flight 50 min earlier that is an A340 but I was somewhat keen to check out the new VIA domestic lounge which I hear is nice. I am arriving Int'l so will be pressed for time especially getting on the previous CPT flight. My question is should I focus on getting on the A340 J product with IFE and much better seating or not rushing it all and just hanging out in the lounge and sticking with the 737-800?
Old Mar 8, 16, 10:49 pm

Programs: AC*G-E50K (former AC*G-SE100K for 3 yrs)
A340 is better than 737 and is the business class used for long-haul ie. Lie flat seating. 737 is one of the oldest planes in the fleet and is 2x3 and probadly one of the worst hard products. The A320s are brand new however at 2x2.

Definitely worth going on the A340 though showing some signs of mid life age.

Either way service will all be better than north American Airlines. No PTV on the narrowbodies.
Old Mar 8, 16, 11:04 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Do they even fire up the IFE on domestics? I have flown the wide bodies umpteen times between JNB and CPT and I honestly have never noticed the IFE being available.
Old Mar 9, 16, 7:31 am

Programs: AC*G-E50K (former AC*G-SE100K for 3 yrs)
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA View Post
Do they even fire up the IFE on domestics? I have flown the wide bodies umpteen times between JNB and CPT and I honestly have never noticed the IFE being available.
Actually you are right. It's just the moving map they put on the A340
Old Mar 9, 16, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
How annoying , why don't they ever turn on the IFE , i wouldn't expect it in business class at least if it had already been installed on the aircraft
Old Mar 9, 16, 1:11 pm

While I appreciate the interest in checking out lounges, IFE on various airplanes, etc. (Hey, why else are you on FT?), I'd just get on the first available flight they're willing to put you on to get out of JNB and onward to CPT. While you may have the time to hang out in JNB (at the lounge), why not just get on the flight and get it over with. It's only a 2 hr flight - how much of the IFE (no matter what type it is and quality) are you really going to be able to enjoy (esp since you've just been on an inbound intl flight). I can occupy myself with the inflight mag for 2 hours, on cleaning up email, watching something on my computer/iPad.

On a couple of occasions, I've turned down an offer of "we can put you on an earlier flight" and lived to regret it b/c as the time wore on weather or other delays meant the flight I planned to be on was delayed (in one case cancelled). Kind of kicked myself for not taking the offer and now being stuck/delayed.

And, though I'm biased, just about anything I'd do/visit in CPT is much better (touch wood) than any JNB lounge.
Old Mar 10, 16, 3:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Their content provider doesn't allow them to provide the IFE on domestic flights. It's probably a significantly extra cost for two or three daily flights JNB-CPT-JNB on the A330/A340s.
Old Mar 10, 16, 11:18 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by evanb View Post
Their content provider doesn't allow them to provide the IFE on domestic flights. It's probably a significantly extra cost for two or three daily flights JNB-CPT-JNB on the A330/A340s.
It certainly doesn't bother me. I use the IFE seldom enough on long hauls - it hardly crosses my mind on domestics (though I really could do without those drop-down screens showing Gags on the narrow bodies).
Old Mar 10, 16, 1:31 pm

(though I really could do without those drop-down screens showing Gags on the narrow bodies)
Actually, I need to revise and extend my earlier remarks. If given the option between the gags video and having advance dental work done without anesthesia, I'll take the latter.
Old Mar 29, 16, 6:21 am
cur

Programs: fwp diamond, dykwia elite
the 737 j is really not that bad. i flew on it the other month and it's fine for a 2 hour flight. catering was great. no ife. you're going to sleep on the jnbcpt leg anyways. it's just 2 hours.

the domestic sa lounge at jnb is alright. flashy architecture and decent catering but really nothing too remarkable. it was am and all they had was salad, cold cuts, cheese, crackers. i tried taking a shower and there in january was no water pressure. i wouldn't deliberately connect in jnb longer for it. sa's lounges are really unremarkable, but by no means ua clubs in the usa bad. maybe i'm spoiled because i hang out in the ua and sq lounges in lhr.

also bear in mind when meals are served on domestic flights:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...s-cpt-jnb.html

and i've heard they won't serve booze on flights until after noon? or 1100? look around the forum

keep your expectations low and you'll have a great flight on sa
Old Mar 29, 16, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
Originally Posted by cur View Post
the 737 j is really not that bad. i flew on it the other month and it's fine for a 2 hour flight. catering was great. no ife. you're going to sleep on the jnbcpt leg anyways. it's just 2 hours.

the domestic sa lounge at jnb is alright. flashy architecture and decent catering but really nothing too remarkable. it was am and all they had was salad, cold cuts, cheese, crackers. i tried taking a shower and there in january was no water pressure. i wouldn't deliberately connect in jnb longer for it. sa's lounges are really unremarkable, but by no means ua clubs in the usa bad. maybe i'm spoiled because i hang out in the ua and sq lounges in lhr.

also bear in mind when meals are served on domestic flights:

and i've heard they won't serve booze on flights until after noon? or 1100? look around the forum

keep your expectations low and you'll have a great flight on sa

Have to agree with you , usually fly BA domestic in SA and decided to give SAA a chance last week Friday in J. Not bad and lucked out being on a330-200, the food served during lunch was unacceptable thou .....
Old Mar 29, 16, 6:50 am
cur

Programs: fwp diamond, dykwia elite
Originally Posted by Flame3601 View Post
Have to agree with you , usually fly BA domestic in SA and decided to give SAA a chance last week Friday in J. Not bad and lucked out being on a330-200, the food served during lunch was unacceptable thou .....
0900-1700

i call it working hours

sa calls it snack time

Search this Thread