FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South African Airways | Voyager (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-african-airways-voyager-752/)
-   -   Does SAA really have a customer service department? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-african-airways-voyager/1735797-does-saa-really-have-customer-service-department.html)

Shareholder Jan 1, 2016 10:57 pm

Does SAA really have a customer service department?

Last year (2015) I had two occasions to contact SAA customer service. The first related to EY codeshare flights that didn't post to an SAA mileage account. The other, getting a delay confirmation for insurance purposes.

Even after sending copies of the original ticket e-mail several times (and having one segment of six flights actually posting) customer service claims they can't find the booking and thus won't post the mileage.

After confirming my request for the delay information and assigning an agent to my "case", and several "reminder" emails, I have yet to receive what I need five months later!

I have come to expect nothing but ineptitude from SAA, and under the current circumstances of my issues, plus the corporate scandals of its CEO and financial insolvency figure a customer will get no action, even by writing the President (which often works with other companies).

Just closing the books on last year's SAA frustrations.

2stepbay Jan 2, 2016 7:10 am

From my experience with SAA, dealing with their "customer service" is akin to stepping into a black hole. Ineptitude abounds. Lack of timely response is the norm and answers are usually straight out of a Dr. Seuss book.

Do you have the boarding passes for the various flights?

Guvner067 Jan 2, 2016 10:06 pm

I dealt with a Mary (see below) when I needed assistance with a booking 12 months ago and she was great.

Mary Everts

Reservations Service Recovery Agent

Reservations Service Recovery

Phone: +27 (0) 11 978 1111

Fax: +27 (0) 11 978 2557

E-Mail: [email protected]

Shareholder Jan 3, 2016 3:05 pm

Thanks for both your comments. I will try Mary's email with my delayed flight issue.

------------

Following up, emailed Ms Everts overnight and had a response and the letter I need this morning. On the Voyageur matter, another helpful contact was established by PM and this matter was resolved today. Again, appreciate the assistance provided by you folks. Have a great 2016! Proves FT is a caring community of "fellow travelers".

thijsseh Jan 7, 2016 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 25948057)
Last year (2015) I had two occasions to contact SAA customer service. The first related to EY codeshare flights that didn't post to an SAA mileage account. The other, getting a delay confirmation for insurance purposes.

Even after sending copies of the original ticket e-mail several times (and having one segment of six flights actually posting) customer service claims they can't find the booking and thus won't post the mileage.

After confirming my request for the delay information and assigning an agent to my "case", and several "reminder" emails, I have yet to receive what I need five months later!

I have come to expect nothing but ineptitude from SAA, and under the current circumstances of my issues, plus the corporate scandals of its CEO and financial insolvency figure a customer will get no action, even by writing the President (which often works with other companies).

Just closing the books on last year's SAA frustrations.

Who would the 'president' of SAA be? JZ? They probably don't even know themselves.

Bunch of incompetent fools. I have NEVER received miles that had not posted automatically, no matter what you do with sending them boarding passes, eticket receipts etc. That department is just an empty cubicle somewhere in Kempton Park. I have stopped flying them about 2 years ago. Relief!

ahrobert Jan 12, 2016 5:46 am

I also have had to give up on partner mile claims. It takes too long to persist and, after the email route, if you get through on the phone you are passed from pillar to post.

jsnydcsa Jan 14, 2016 1:21 pm

YMMV but let me put in a plug for the SAA CS staff in Florida handling US enquiries. Over approx 15 years and scores of flights (plus scores more for family and friends), they have never let me down. Whether dealing with complicated mileage award tickets, semi-complicated seating requests, last minute changes or cancellations (most on SAA's part, a few on mine), refunds or just about anything else, I have never (touch wood) been disappointed by their friendliness, willingness to help and professionalism. Even in a few cases where I was clearly coming to them hat in hand, they worked with me to at least ease the sting of the situation. I'd prefer working with them over just about any front line, non-premium US-airline CS staff any day. I used to know some of them by name and they were always and still remain a pleasure to work with.

They also seem to work well with and obtain fast resolution from their colleagues in SA. While I've had to wait a day or two due to time/holiday differentials between the US and SA, the US staff has never told me that their SA colleagues didn't reply (of course, maybe the SA staff hadn't and the US staff just didn't tell me and resolved it on their on, but I wouldn't know that).

I've only had a half-dozen or so occasions to deal with frontline - non-checkin - staff at JNB and CPT (mostly ticket office staff). Generally they've been less than helpful. They could take a few lessons from the US staff.

I hope I haven't jinxed myself!

Cheetah_SA Jan 15, 2016 1:43 am

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa (Post 26019032)
I've only had a half-dozen or so occasions to deal with frontline - non-checkin - staff at JNB and CPT (mostly ticket office staff). Generally they've been less than helpful. They could take a few lessons from the US staff.

^ Indeed they are a rare shining light in the dark, airless sinkhole that SAA has become.

At one stage they posted on here and were extremely helpful even when the questions did not involve US operations. (Probably got rapped on the knuckles for showing up their inept ZA colleagues.)

Flame3601 Jan 17, 2016 2:20 am

If you want a really good laugh have a look at there face book page , i have never seen an airline get so roasted on social media .....

ahrobert Jan 20, 2016 5:45 am

I had exceptional service from SAA Perth Australia last year when I had to change a flight. The lady also moved my upgrade on miles to the new flight. Lessons to be learned SAA!!!

skywardhunter Jan 20, 2016 11:50 pm

I've generally had good experiences with SAA in Munich and also in re-scheduling domestic flights in JNB (flight to CPT after incoming international, either getting an earlier or later fight, they rebook you instantly at check-in subject to availability)

jsnydcsa Jan 21, 2016 10:12 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 26054131)
I've generally had good experiences with SAA in ... in re-scheduling domestic flights in JNB (flight to CPT after incoming international, either getting an earlier or later fight, they rebook you instantly at check-in subject to availability)

I should have given a tip 'o the cap as well to the folks at what I call the JNB "transfer" desk just after JNB customs. In the (rare) instances when I need a new flight down from JNB to CPT or to DUR, they've been helpful and re-booked me easily. I doubt they're going out of their way and its more of a computer thing rather than a people skills thing. But, still they do it.

themulv Jan 26, 2016 12:36 am

Painful

Not sure what I'd rather do, call SAA customer service or stick needles in my eyeballs.

Guvner067 Jan 26, 2016 7:29 pm

With a bluetooth headset you can do both.

DBCme May 27, 2018 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA (Post 26021949)
^ Indeed they are a rare shining light in the dark, airless sinkhole that SAA has become.

At one stage they posted on here and were extremely helpful even when the questions did not involve US operations. (Probably got rapped on the knuckles for showing up their inept ZA colleagues.)

It must be challenging to work for an airline sinking to new lows every day. Service, product, gutting of routes, corruption... so whenever I come across a jolly, enthusiastic and friendly SAA employee, I go out of my way to thank them for their work. Needless to say, not many "thank you's" are given, but there are a few gems still working for the airline