SA Voyager marketing to "new" members

Old Oct 20, 15, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA BD SA
SA Voyager marketing to "new" members

Both my partner and I have received mails from Voyager saying:

You are Missing Out on Rewards and Recognition. Claim Them.

Our records show that you have previously booked with South African Airways. Since there was no frequent-flyer membership number in the booking, we are concerned that you might be losing out on fantastic rewards that you are entitled to with SAA Voyager Africa's first revenue-based airline loyalty programme.
Well, firstly, there is no way any booking of ours has no FF number in it! What they probably mean is it didn't have a Voyager number in it. That's because I no longer choose to credit flights to their eviscerated FFP.

Secondly, if they had done even a perfunctory data base match they would have found that people with our names and email addresses are indeed members of Voyager. They may even have questioned why we do not credit our SA flights to Voyager...
Old Oct 20, 15, 3:13 am

A strategy like this will look fabulous in a quarterly presentation (it addresses the concept and not the details of the execution) of what each department is doing to bail the airline out of financial troubles. Meanwhile, the Operations team can take claim to removing the moist towelettes and hot food, except during meal times, while the lounges can report how they've reduced the mixed nut packages to effectively a bag of peanuts - and they'll continue serving vino on slightly chipped glassware rather than dispose of it.

But maybe I'm just jealous having not received the Rewards and Recognition "marketing department" email.
Old Oct 20, 15, 3:42 am

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA View Post
Both my partner and I have received mails from Voyager saying:

Well, firstly, there is no way any booking of ours has no FF number in it! What they probably mean is it didn't have a Voyager number in it. That's because I no longer choose to credit flights to their eviscerated FFP.

Secondly, if they had done even a perfunctory data base match they would have found that people with our names and email addresses are indeed members of Voyager. They may even have questioned why we do not credit our SA flights to Voyager...
Out of interest, Cheetah_SA, where do your credit your SA flights to now? And do you still have / use the Voyager CC?
We have basically moved to BA for local travel. And I have all but stopped using the Voyager CC.
Old Oct 20, 15, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DBCme View Post
A strategy like this will look fabulous in a quarterly presentation (it addresses the concept and not the details of the execution) of what each department is doing to bail the airline out of financial troubles.
So true!
Old Oct 20, 15, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thijsseh View Post
Out of interest, Cheetah_SA, where do your credit your SA flights to now? And do you still have / use the Voyager CC?
We have basically moved to BA for local travel. And I have all but stopped using the Voyager CC.
thijsseh, I credit to LifeMiles mainly (though I keep a toe in United's Mileage Plus as well and used to credit to US before they merged with AA).

I travel BA locally whenever I have the choice. And with BA and other OW airlines I prefer to credit to AAdvantage because the redemption rates are often so much better than BAEC. We have flown some QR recently too and with one J trip to the US I got BA Silver so credited that to BAEC. (But I credited my partner's miles to AAdvantage because he didn't have the minimum number of BA flights to qualify for Silver - or AA flights for AAdvantage Gold.)

I do have the credit card and for the first time in several years I have just redeemed a companion award. So it has paid its way for for once. I do use the card because I have loads of Avios and I want a balance big enough to be useful for a meaningful *A partner award or when the JourneyBlitz sales come along.

The recent JourneyBlitz sale was informative. Availability on desirable routes (i.e. Europe and USA) was very thin and they charge per leg the way BAEC does nowadays. But I found some usable availability and nearly booked HKG. In the end I got better value and more flexibility of dates using the free companion ticket.

So, yes, I am far from free from Voyager - still trying to squeeze the last bit of value I can from the card and my remaining miles. Just no longer a fan of the programme or the airline.
Old Nov 9, 15, 8:56 am

Well, the plot thickens. I just received the very same email (about no Voyager FF number in mrs thijsseh's booking). Except that neither of us has flown on SA for well over a year....
Just sending these emails out randomly, it appears.
Old Nov 10, 15, 6:25 am

Programs: BA-Gold, TK*G, KLM-Gold, SPG-Plat, Sixt-Plat, Avis-Pres, TsogoSun-Pres
Planning to fly in 5 weeks to SA on SAA. Our baby if under 2 who has a children's ticket for December (no way in hell am I having a baby on my lap for twelve hours), booked under my email address also received an emailm(addressed to baby brightshark).

One would've thought they filter out kids and babies who can't sign up anyway, but off course that's too much effort...
Old Nov 10, 15, 11:48 pm

Next email (received in duplicate )
'We have made a mistake, there was no problem such as a booking without a Voyager number, please accept our apologies"

Search this Thread