SAA First Class, but NO MP points awarded

Old Oct 17, 15, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down SAA First Class, but NO MP points awarded

True. I flew SAA first class from JNB to CPT, but no points posted to my United MP account- given when I booked. I called UA, emailed a copy of my ticket and boarding pass. UAL tells that SAA will not award points. What? First class tickets and no points? What's going on?
Old Oct 18, 15, 2:19 am

Programs: SAA Voyager Plat, Diners Club Prive, Amex Plat, Avis Presidents Club
Not possible.

SAA hasn't operated a first class cabin anywhere in the world since the discontinuation of the 747-400's back in 2008.

I have been flying JNB-CPT-JNB regularly since 1980 and they have never operated first class on this sector in all the years I have flown. Even in times when they did fly 747 on this route, you could reserve row 1-3 and sit in a first class seat, but it was always sold as business class, and you were credited as such.
Old Oct 18, 15, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
My boarding pass says: Class C/U Seat 2A First Class
They call it first class, write first class on the boarding pass, but it's not first class?

Nevertheless, they awarded me zero points for the flight. Nothing.
Old Oct 18, 15, 10:19 am

You can insert any title you want to the cabin you sat in, but at the end of the day all that matters is the booking class.

Here is what UNITED will give you credit for when flying SAA
https://www.united.com/cms/en-us/mar...spx?itemid=316

Be sure to click the + sign based on whether it was a UA-ticket (with a segment on SAA), or a non-UA ticket, to provide information on whether you ticket is eligible for accrual, and the amount
Old Oct 18, 15, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Sterlingguy View Post
They call it first class, write first class on the boarding pass, but it's not first class?
Who issued your boarding pass - United? That might explain the use of "first class" for domestic business class on SA.

"C/U"... that U is very perplexing. The second letter usually indicates the booking class. For instance if it is an award ticket it will say "C/I".

But U isn't a common booking class for SA or UA. Was this staff travel or something obscure? Either way my experience with UA is that if the booking class isn't in their table you can forget about it. (I enquired about P class on LH - which is a discounted business fare - and was told no dice, the table decides everything.)

BTW shouldn't this be on the UA board?
Old Oct 18, 15, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Which airline issued the ticket? SAA don't use U class!
Old Oct 19, 15, 2:42 am

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by SAWorldVoyager View Post
Not possible.

SAA hasn't operated a first class cabin anywhere in the world since the discontinuation of the 747-400's back in 2008.

I have been flying JNB-CPT-JNB regularly since 1980 and they have never operated first class on this sector in all the years I have flown. Even in times when they did fly 747 on this route, you could reserve row 1-3 and sit in a first class seat, but it was always sold as business class, and you were credited as such.
I flew JNB/CPT in First on a 747 in December 1980. Remember it well, it was for my siste's wedding and it was the only thing available. Upper deck on a 747-200. Was VERY impressed with the table cloth. And I think I paid R150 for the pleasure (which was around 20% of my nett monthly pay back then).
I don't think Voyager existed then, so 'crediting of miles' had not been invented.
Old Nov 23, 15, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Sterlingguy View Post

Nevertheless, they awarded me zero points for the flight. Nothing.
perhaps you'd have more luck using this

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ageCredit.aspx

i used it 15 days after missing credit from et flight, my points posted immediately
Old Jan 7, 16, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E35, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Is there any chance this was an upgrade using the Step-up upgrade bid? I'm thinking that it's possible that these upgrades book into a fare class that isn't recognized (e.g. R class or similar), and partner earnings don't recognize it as an eligible fare.

I had domestic 3 flights in recent weeks in SAA, all originally booked in V class which should have earned at least 50% mileage:
Flight 1 - V class, paid Step-up upgrade - no mileage posted
Flight 2 - V class, single cabin - posted as it should
Flight 3 - V class, paid Step-up upgrade - no mileage posted

I'd credited to AC and spouse credited to UA. I'd expect for paid upgrades that you'd at least get the mileage from the original fare basis, but the upgraded segments didn't credit on either AC or UA.

Also, both of the upgraded segments for me showed "First Class" on the boarding pass, and were printed by SAA agents.
Old Jan 12, 16, 1:24 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF G
I recently booked business class on SAA CPT -JNB.
UA was not even an option given on the list of frequent flyer programmes....
Old Jan 15, 16, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E35, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gcashin View Post
Is there any chance this was an upgrade using the Step-up upgrade bid? I'm thinking that it's possible that these upgrades book into a fare class that isn't recognized (e.g. R class or similar), and partner earnings don't recognize it as an eligible fare.

I had domestic 3 flights in recent weeks in SAA, all originally booked in V class which should have earned at least 50% mileage:
Flight 1 - V class, paid Step-up upgrade - no mileage posted
Flight 2 - V class, single cabin - posted as it should
Flight 3 - V class, paid Step-up upgrade - no mileage posted

I'd credited to AC and spouse credited to UA. I'd expect for paid upgrades that you'd at least get the mileage from the original fare basis, but the upgraded segments didn't credit on either AC or UA.

Also, both of the upgraded segments for me showed "First Class" on the boarding pass, and were printed by SAA agents.
Submitted the missing mileage request for the flights that were upgraded and didn't post. Received a response today saying that the booking class isn't eligible.

I find this ridiculous. The original booking class was eligible for mileage accumulation and I paid to upgrade the flights, but SAA is denying the partner request saying that the booking class isn't eligible.

Thank you for submitting your request for the missing miles for the flight(s) you recently took with our airline partner(s). Unfortunately, we are unable to credit the miles to your account for the reason(s) listed below.

Reason(s) provided
Booking class is not eligible for Aeroplan Miles
The request for your missing miles was not approved by our airline partner because the Booking class you submitted is not eligible for Aeroplan Miles. For more details on how to earn miles with this partner, including eligible Booking classes, please visit the Our Partners section on aeroplan.com.
Old Feb 13, 17, 12:03 pm

I've just encountered this problem with flight I took 16 days ago. Upgraded to show C/U class and received no miles. Do you think it's worth calling SAA and asking if they can change something from their end?
Old Feb 15, 17, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by WLGNZ View Post
I recently booked business class on SAA CPT -JNB.
UA was not even an option given on the list of frequent flyer programmes....
How did you have your country and language set?

in the past week, "United Airlines - Mileage Plus" was certainly an option for me when I configured the SAA site for United States and English before booking.

I don't know if they show all the same partners no matter which country you're configured for.

Search this Thread