Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAA J class meals CPT-JNB

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Just flew CPT JNB in J at 2pm and a light (but very nice) lunch was served.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Just flew CPT JNB in J at 2pm and a light (but very nice) lunch was served.
Can you please let me know what type of meal was on offer ( veg/beef/chicken/lamb ??) and other amenities such as pillows/blankets in J. Flying SAA A330-200 to CPT-JNB in March
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC SE
I flew JNB-CPT in J at 11 AM departure, ~1 PM arrival on A340-600, and a cold snack was served (choice between veggie and meat option; meat option was a couple slices of duck breast with potato salad).

A couple other observations on amenities. Not sure if this was normal, but I was surprised by a few things:
- No pre-departure beverage was offered (not even water)
- No pillows or blankets
- No hot towel service
- No wine or alcohol on board for flight that runs 11 AM~1:05 PM
- No headphones or in-flight entertainment (screens only had route map)

When I asked for a glass of wine, the FA first said "we don't have any". When I asked why, she said "we're not allowed to serve alcohol before 12 Noon; we'll serve wine on the second drink service." When I asked if they had wine after 12 Noon, she said "oh, we'll serve wine on the return flight to JNB".

I was surprised at the lack of amenities, so was somewhat regretting the upgrade purchase. I realize it's only a ~2 hour flight, but I'd still expect a few basic business class amenities like a pre-departure drink (e.g. water), hot towel, small pillow, IFE, and a glass of wine with the snack.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by gcashin
I flew JNB-CPT in J at 11 AM departure, ~1 PM arrival on A340-600, and a cold snack was served (choice between veggie and meat option; meat option was a couple slices of duck breast with potato salad).

A couple other observations on amenities. Not sure if this was normal, but I was surprised by a few things:
- No pillows or blankets
- No hot towel service

When I asked for a glass of wine, the FA first said "we don't have any". When I asked why, she said "we're not allowed to serve alcohol before 12 Noon; we'll serve wine on the second drink service." When I asked if they had wine after 12 Noon, she said "oh, we'll serve wine on the return flight to JNB".

I was surprised at the lack of amenities, so was somewhat regretting the upgrade purchase. I realize it's only a ~2 hour flight, but I'd still expect a few basic business class amenities like a pre-departure drink (e.g. water), hot towel, small pillow, IFE, and a glass of wine with the snack.
Sounds quite typical except for the "no wine or alcohol" which is utterly ridiculous.

I wonder whether SAA indeed implemented a new policy (which would be quite ridiculous IMO) or whether you just encountered an incompetent FA who made up her own rules.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I wonder whether SAA indeed implemented a new policy.
Given the amazing number of highly qualified wine selectors, they are probably still arguing over which wines to serve with lunch.

Johan
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by gcashin

- No pillows or blankets
- No hot towel service

On a flight earlier this month before 12 they served a beer but cabin crew said this was not normal.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Is this a joke about not getting something alcoholic on SAA before noon? I'm going to South Africa for the first time in April and had no idea there was anything like this in place.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
i now only fly British Airways instead of SAA on the domestic routes ..... better everything !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.