SAA J ticket rebooked on CX - miles earning :-/

Old Aug 30, 15, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, EK Gold
SAA J ticket rebooked on CX - miles earning :-/

On a recent SAA J etkt for a flight HKG to JNB, I was told upon check-in that the flight is overbooked and that I will be transferred to a CX flight that departs around the same time.

I asked about the miles earning in such an event and the handling agent said that would all be taken care of. The miles have, however, not yet posted.

To complicate matters I do earning on an A3 account.

Is there any hoping for actually getting this miles earned since I was involuntarily rebooked on a different flight and would not like to forfeit those miles? Does *A have a concept of Original Routing Credit? If I should fight for getting the miles, do I initiate with A3 or SA?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 30, 15, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Afraid I don't know the answers for sure. But AIUI A3 can do nothing until SA sends them the necessary confirmation. So you would need to chase SA on this. I foresee an uphill struggle. But with luck you get a clued up agent and it's all sorted quickly.
Old Sep 14, 15, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Update

In case anyone is following - I started this by doing an A3 miles claim. They are "awaiting information from partner" which I expect to result in a decline. I will then contact SAA to see if there is any chance of fixing this
Old Sep 17, 15, 1:40 am

Programs: SAA Voyager Plat, Diners Club Prive, Amex Plat, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by kobuse View Post
In case anyone is following - I started this by doing an A3 miles claim. They are "awaiting information from partner" which I expect to result in a decline. I will then contact SAA to see if there is any chance of fixing this
I sent you a PM, hopefully I can help
Old Sep 18, 15, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
I'd be very curious to see what your end result is. I've always had this concern with off-alliance rebookings but haven't had to deal with it yet fortunately. It obviously complicates matters when you're looking to earn miles in a partner program, not the native program of the airline that offloaded you.
Old Sep 21, 15, 8:06 am
Original Poster

I just got my miles claim back saying it was denied by SA. So now the next step is getting that response from A3 and submitting a letter to SA. I expect this to take a few more months, but let's see :-) A3 promised to reply to my mail within 3 weeks...
Old Sep 22, 15, 6:21 am

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Don't forget to double mileage dip and credit the CX flight to a program of your choosing.
Old Oct 7, 15, 9:25 pm

Programs: AC*G-E50K (former AC*G-SE100K for 3 yrs)
On a recent SAA J etkt for a flight HKG to JNB, I was told upon check-in that the flight is overbooked and that I will be transferred to a CX flight that departs around the same time.

I asked about the miles earning in such an event and the handling agent said that would all be taken care of. The miles have, however, not yet posted.

To complicate matters I do earning on an A3 account.

Is there any hoping for actually getting this miles earned since I was involuntarily rebooked on a different flight and would not like to forfeit those miles? Does *A have a concept of Original Routing Credit? If I should fight for getting the miles, do I initiate with A3 or SA?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'd be surprised if they can credit you.

In North America you only earn miles on the metal you actually fly on. So if I get booked on AA when my ticket is with Air Canada, no dice.

Next time you have the right to decline being rebooked on another airline, but you may also need to wait an extra day, lol.
Old Oct 8, 15, 7:27 am

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I've been put on other airlines (different alliances) before and was given miles by UA which I was flying on even when rerouted on DL. And I got my Alaska miles too.
Old Oct 15, 15, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by cooleddie View Post

In North America you only earn miles on the metal you actually fly on. So if I get booked on AA when my ticket is with Air Canada, no dice.

Next time you have the right to decline being rebooked on another airline, but you may also need to wait an extra day, lol.
what you are saying is incorrect with regard to involuntary re-routings, at least with ua. look up the ORC rules.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...merged-66.html

i stopped wasting my time and money with errorplan a while ago but i think ap did the same thing.
Old Jan 4, 16, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Ok, so here's a final update on the saga:

In November I got the reply back from A3 and submitted this to SA. This obviously was a very painful conversation with a call centre agent who had no idea how to deal with this (granted it's a pretty exotic problem). She transferred my query to a very competent supervisor.

She immediately understood the problem, but also said that she doens't think they have any way to deal with this as a standard process, but that she would chase it up with the "Systems" department. It seems like they spent November trying to sort it out.

In early December I got a reply from SA and A3 saying they have resolved the issue and that my miles would be credited.

Checked two days later and all the missing miles are (in the correct classes) displaying on the A3 side now.

All's well that ends well.
Old Jan 4, 16, 3:48 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
and the handling agent said that would all be taken care of.
Did you get the name of that chap who lied to you?
Old Jan 4, 16, 10:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
Did you get the name of that chap who lied to you?
That's a bit harsh. Why the assumption the handling agent 'lied'.
Maybe he or she genuinely believed the original routing would credit correctly.
There are plenty of examples on these boards of passengers 'double dipping' on reroutes across alliances.
Glad the OP eventually got the original routing credit and presumably oneworld miles as well from the CX flight.
Old Jan 5, 16, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Yeah I wouldn't say he lied. It's a pretty big edge case and it was contract staff at an outpost. So since they handled it well and resolved it entirely I have no further issues.
Old Jan 7, 16, 2:27 am

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Ok, so here's a final update on the saga:

In November I got the reply back from A3 and submitted this to SA. This obviously was a very painful conversation with a call centre agent who had no idea how to deal with this (granted it's a pretty exotic problem). She transferred my query to a very competent supervisor.

She immediately understood the problem, but also said that she doens't think they have any way to deal with this as a standard process, but that she would chase it up with the "Systems" department. It seems like they spent November trying to sort it out.

In early December I got a reply from SA and A3 saying they have resolved the issue and that my miles would be credited.

Checked two days later and all the missing miles are (in the correct classes) displaying on the A3 side now.

All's well that ends well.
I would say that this is close to a miracle!
The supervisor will probably be dismissed (for making the other staff look stupid)..

Search this Thread